IGNORED

Looking to buy new irons, but am very picky, Help!

MaRx
Note: This thread is 6486 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have had my Taylor Made Oversized Irons now for about 10 years. I bought them new when I was in 8th grade. I think its time for something new. Trying to keep the budget under $600-700 I think, probably going to end up getting them on Ebay.. Prices look pretty good.

I was looking toward a more tour inspired iron, mainly for the head size. I think a thinner blade would work better for me. I take HUGE divots if that makes a difference!?

I have a real hard time getting my irons to get alot of height, but distance doesnt really seem to be a problem.

I'm not really partial to any brand, but have had my eyes on the Callaway X-18 pro series, Mizuno 32/33/37s, Taylormade Racs so far... Are there others to consider..

Other info (not sure if needed, but i'll include): 5 index handicap, I have a fairly decent draw on all shots (natural), also have a pretty high swing speed (100-120mph), keep in mind the divots!?

Should I also consider The Taylor Made R7 XDs? ($550)
Thanks to all who contribute!

Titleist 983K 8.5* Prolite V2 stiff
Callaway Hawk VFT 3 Stiff
Taylor Made 16 & 21* Raylors
TM oversised irons 3-sw Rifle stl shafts
Titleist Vokey spin milled 60*Titleist Vokey 52* Tour

I have had my Taylor Made Oversized Irons now for about 10 years. I bought them new when I was in 8th grade. I think its time for something new. Trying to keep the budget under $600-700 I think, probably going to end up getting them on Ebay.. Prices look pretty good.

i'm not sure how much the titleist 690 series irons cost now but when i bought them i paid about $900. i previously used callaway x-14's and upon purchasing my 690.cb's i immediately started hitting my irons farther and a bit higher. my divots also got shallower when i made the switch. so i suppose what im getting at is you should definitely give the titleist 690. series a good looking in to. they have both forged cavity and muscle backs, whichever you prefer.

905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder
200 steel 3 wood
200 steel 5 wood
690.CB 3-PW
56* 14 Pro Platinum Newport 2 Pro V1 B330-S

• Administrator
Other info (not sure if needed, but i'll include): 5 index handicap, I have a fairly decent draw on all shots (natural), also have a pretty high swing speed (100-120mph), keep in mind the divots!?

Most people will say "103-105" or "107-110". They won't provide a range of 20 MPH. What range does that cover? PW through driver?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well if you like the blade design i would push for Mp-32s. I would have the Mp-60s allready but it's too close to school golf to try to get used to an iron set in a week.

Equipment
Driver: Titleist 983k 8.5 speeder stiff
5 wood: Taylormade r540xd
Irons: Cleveland TA-7, 3-PW
Wedges:Titleist Vokey Oil Can SM 54,60*Putter: Odyssey 3300 DFX bladeBall:Titleist ProV1

MaRx, If you're cutting deep divots with your current clubs, you will be digging absolute trenches with a set of narrow soled blades. I'd stay away if I were you. Also, height and distance are very closely related, so I don't really know what to think about your relationship between the two. Are you getting most of your distance from roll? I'd say you're a very good candidate for a club like the Titleist 755 or Bridgestone's J33 cavity irons. Both of which have a wider sole than traditional "blades" yet still have a narrow topline. They will also help you with your height issues since cavity backs just about always launch higher than muscle backs. In my opinon, the X-Tours would probably be the best club for you. A very wide sole with lots of bounce and a blunt leading edge, they will not dig at all. They're a full cavity with perimiter weighting and feel very nice. The only thing you might have to get used to is the fairly thick topline. The R7 XD's are a good club if you want to buy a couple of gap wedges and drop the 3 and 4 iron since the lofts are so darn strong. Basically, there are far better clubs on hte market unless you want to hit 150 yard pitching wedges.

Note: This thread is 6486 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!