IGNORED

What TYPE of ball for my type of game?

Note: This thread is 5333 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I've been playing golf since I was old enough to stand up, but not very consistently. Within the past 3 months I've finally begun playing with some regularity and gotten new clubs suited to my own swing. Now I'd just like to figure out what ball is correct for me.

Lately, I have been shooting in the mid to upper 80's with the occasional low 80's game. My issue is the following:

I have a swing speed with my driver of about 120, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. It's been tested at several different locations so I'm not just estimating.

I've driven several different par 4 greens in my life, but am very inconsistent. I can't count the number of times I'll hit a 315 yard drive, have 30 yards to the hole for a par 4, and end with a bogey. My short game and iron play (irons are getting better) kill me everytime.

Lately, I've started teeing off with 4 irons on par 4's, to leave myself full 100-125 yard shots rather than those mid range ones I have trouble with, and I've gotten more consistent.

My question is this, should I play a low spin, hard two piece to try and maximize distance, the one part of my game where I have an advantage, OR should I play premium 3 or even 4 piece balls and hopefully improve around the greens?

The ability to compress a premium ball isn't really an issue, this is just a thought process question really. Go for distance and maximize my one advantage? Or play it smarter and work on the $ part of the game which is coming into greens and chipping?

In my opninion you would best be served by ball that handles better around the green.

You have a huge swing speed and are going to get optimum distances from any of the top balls.

Give the Bridgestone 330S or Prov1 a try and see what happens on those 30 yard shots. You will be pleasantly surprised at the stop and drop performance.

I think you'll also be surprised at the solid distance they still provide.

You can buy the "practice" models (ProV1) and save yourself some $$$, too.

I'd be surprised if you didn't fall in love with the ProV1x ball.

Just play in a group behind me and look along the edge of the woods to find my errant balls. Just kidding....I go to great lengths to recover these gems.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

$ isn't really an issue on balls for me right now, so basically you're saying go top-tier? I just picked up a dozen Nike One Tour and Nike One Tour D, I'm partial to Nike for some reason with balls. Gonna see how those do, what other balls do you recommend other than PV1 and Bridgestone (I always liked their e6+, ready to try their top notch ball)?

Oh and also, is there a general formula you should/could follow for picking the right compression ratio based on swing speed, or is compression ratio also something that would solely depend on if you're going for distance or control? If there is a loose formula or guideline I'd love to hear it.

I'd go top-tier really. With your swing speed, you're still going to hit a 4-piece ball further than most people you play with, but you'll have the ability to keep balls on the putting surface from 30yds much easier.

I love the Bridgestone Tour 330, but also will play the ProV1x and Callaway iX. My average drive is around 290 with 1-3 per round hitting the 300-310+ range, so you can still get distance out of these for sure! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by any of these golfballs.

Driver: R7 Superquad, 9.5*, Proforce UST V2 Stiff
3-W: 300-series, 15*, steel shaft
Irons: TP MB Smoke 3-PW (just got em!)
Old irons: rac MB 3-PW (might be selling soon?)
Wedges: CG-12 Gunmetal, 52*, 56* & 60*Putter: Studio Select Newport, 15g weights, 34", etcBag: Hoofer Lite (sun-faded...

I don't have quite the swing speed that you do, but I have played the Taylor Made TP Red LDP and Pro V1 for the last few months. I just picked up some Tour One and Tour One D for my next few rounds.

You may be best served by trying something without a ton of spin of your irons first. I know when I changed from distance balls to spin balls, my scores went up for a few rounds. It takes a little learning to get used to how the spinier balls will play around the green and on full shots.

I'd try and work with the Tour One D first. They should have enough spin to hold you on greens with no problem, while not having so much spin that any side spin will be greatly magnified

Driver: 909 D3 Diamana Blue
3 wood Ti Bubble 2
Hybrid: Burner Rescue 19 S Fujikura
4-PW: ZB NS Pro 100 S
GW: 51 VokeySW: 55 VokeyLW: 60 BeCuPutter: Red X3 or Del Mar 2 TeI3Ball: TP Red LDP or Pro V1x

burner tp's i think would suit you well, its a three piece with a firmer cover...goes long and stops quickly on the greens. i also like srixon products as well

in my bag:

Driver: '08 Cobra F Speed LD 10.5 w/UST Proforce V2 Tour Flight stiff

Fairway: Adams Speedline Fast10 3-wood w/Aldila Wasabi stiff
Hybrid: Nickent 3dx 3H
Irons: Nike CCI forged 4-pw Wedges: Nike Victory Red 52 56 60 Putter: Rife Mr. Beasley Balls: Bridgestone B330-RX Tees: epoch

Note: This thread is 5333 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!