IGNORED

Why not blades?

mst_coastie
Note: This thread is 5102 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Iacas is correct. The whole idea of game improvement clubs is to move the COG low and back to launch the ball higher.

(I may have these following measurements wrong, but I believe these numbers represent the COG above the sole, and behind the leading edge.)

Take, for example, the Mizuno MP-68. The center of gravity is located .833" above the sole, and .576" behind leading edge. In sharp contrast, the Callaway Diablo Edge's center of gravity is located .791" and .612" back. That's nearly .1" deeper and lower than the blade. The ultra GI Callaway Fusion, however, has a COG .852" high, and .824" back!

Now, the R9 is a rare breed, it's COG is .934" above the sole, and .485" behind the leading edge. That's higher and shallower than some modern blades on the market. Still, the R9's COG is far lower and further back than that of blades of yesteryear. These numbers can also be deceiving, because the offset, shape of the leading edge, and other factors can change the actual COG in relation to the sweet spot on the face. That is, ultimately, what's important.

I hit forged CB and MB my whole life. Personally the feel of a blade and getting feedback from my shot instantly and knowing something is off is worth it to me. When Ping eye's were popular in the late 80's and 90's during my junior golf days every kid had them, but I could not get over the fatness of the club. I love looking down at a blade iron and when your hitting it pure there is nothing better. It is all personal preference, but if you do not have a repeatable swing then have blade and cavitybacks as a back up

ozone bag
putter: dianna
Driver: R9 10.5
5 wood:
3 Hybrid: TPIrons: 695MB 3-PWWedges: spin mill

I hit forged CB and MB my whole life. Personally the feel of a blade and getting feedback from my shot instantly and knowing something is off is worth it to me. When Ping eye's were popular in the late 80's and 90's during my junior golf days every kid had them, but I could not get over the fatness of the club. I love looking down at a blade iron and when your hitting it pure there is nothing better. It is all personal preference, but if you do not have a repeatable swing then have blade and cavitybacks as a back up

Lol I grew up with butter knives err I mean blades as well. Being from a poor family my brother and I could only get thrift store irons which were from the 70s and early 80s. A thin top line has always felt comfortable to look down at and the feel when struck was yumm. Years and two wrist surgeries later I've learned that blades may not be the ideal set. Tried some different newer blocky irons, but for some reason I cant get used to the look from the top, even my callaway X-18 pros

. I think a thin topped CB is where it is now. Hit a couple of X-forged irons, the 2007 ones, and the comfortible factor is there. Looks like a MB from the top but with the added forgiveness that a good CB provides. As long as its forged hit either iron that works best.

~It's the Indian not the Arrow ~

In my bag:
Driver: X460
3 Wood: WarbirdIrons: X18 Pros (3-PW)56 degree wedge: Oil can60 degree wedge: FeO2Putter: Desert Club: ISI 8 Iron~Still looking for a Straw hat~

Note: This thread is 5102 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!