IGNORED

Scottsdale trip in less than a month

GolfinGQ
Note: This thread is 5184 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok, so I just got back from a wonderful week in Scottsdale. I played pretty well, and played with some great people. Started out with Grayhawk, which I think was the toughest out of the 5 that we played. Shot an 84 with not hitting the ball that well, so I wasn't too upset. Then we played 36 at Gold Canyon. Sidewinder wasn't too bad, great for the price. $175 to play both and lunch. I played my best golf at Dinosaur, where I shot a 74. I think I only missed about 3 fairways all day. Condition wise, I think this track was the best. Played Troon, but now I guess they mixed the 9's from Monument and Pinnacle. A very nice course, shot an 80 on a somewhat windy day. TPC was last, and a bunch of fun. The caddie pissed me off because he was giving us this whole story about why not to go for the green in two on 15, and how all the players he tells to layup and listen play the hole better. Well, after a good drive, I listened to him and layed up. I had 190 to clear the water, 207 to the hole. So I played a second ball, and hit it to the middle of the green with my 5 iron, I was pissed. He told me I probably wouldn't have done it if it was my first ball....needless to say, he didn't get a wonderful tip from me. I ended up shooting a 78. All in all had a blast. If I could play just one again, it would be TPC just becaue I think I could have donw much better, but the best would have to be a toss up between Dinosaur Mountain and Troon. And being everyone was up there playing golf, I talked to a lot of guys who played both We-Ko-Pa courses, and about 90% of them said hands down Cholla was better than Saguaro....even the caddie at TPC said the same.

In my r7 bag:

Driver:r7 460
3 wood:r7
hybrid:burnerirons:320 serieswedges:TP Rac Z 56*, 60*putter:Circa 62 #3balls:prov1x

• 3 months later...
I lived in Scottsdale, AZ for 14 years however there was one problem...it was before I started playing golf! I am headed back there at the end of July with my two sons and I really want to take them to some great courses because it's so exciting to see my boys get involved in golf so much earlier than I did. I've got a 15 year old who beats me consistently and 12 year old to whom, driving the golf cart, is still more fun than golf itself...nonetheless I'm excited to just be out there with them. Anyways, was wondering if you guys could shout out a few courses in Scottsdale that are very nice yet somewhat generous to a not-so-professional group of golfers. Thanks guys

@craig I played a bunch of really nice courses on our Scottsdale trip a couple weeks ago. Grayhawk (Raptor) is a really tough course so if you don't want too difficult of a course I wouldn't go there. I recommend Talking Stick (I think we played the Pinnacle course) it has wide open fairways and different sets of tees. Also, a course I loved was Rancho Manana, it's pretty short but you have to be accurate. Don't go to Wildfire. We played Faldo's course and it straight up sucked - terrible condition. And if you are a golf nut like us you have to play the Stadium course at TPC. I LOVE Scottsdale golf!
S9-1 Offset 10.5*
S2 3-W
S9-1 5-W
CPR Rescue 3 Hybrid
AP1 IronsVokey Wedges 56* and 60* Ghost Putter                                                                     Low Score l 71, Par 72 Tiffany Greens (6 Birdies/5 Bogeys)

I lived in Scottsdale, AZ for 14 years however there was one problem...it was before I started playing golf! I am headed back there at the end of July with my two sons and I really want to take them to some great courses because it's so exciting to see my boys get involved in golf so much earlier than I did. I've got a 15 year old who beats me consistently and 12 year old to whom, driving the golf cart, is still more fun than golf itself...nonetheless I'm excited to just be out there with them. Anyways, was wondering if you guys could shout out a few courses in Scottsdale that are very nice yet somewhat generous to a not-so-professional group of golfers. Thanks guys

I'd strongly recommend the Saguaro course at We-Ko-Pa. It has very wide fairways, gorgeous views and is lots of fun. You and your boys will love it. Here is a link to pix of Saguaro

http://sports.webshots.com/album/563720024mtsCgK

Note: This thread is 5184 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!