IGNORED

Shaft Flex and Swing Speed

Note: This thread is 5074 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Assuming we're talking about a driver here. I realize the a Regular vs. Stiff shaft flex can affect different components of a swing weather that being face position at impact, launch angle, etc. My question relates to club head speed alone. Let's say a golfer has a 95 mph swing. That's right on the verge of stiff vs regular for many shaft companies. Assuming all other variables are equal, what would be the difference in club head speed between a stiff and regular shaft?

I would think the regular shaft has a faster club head because of the head whipping more through the impact zone. But how much? 1-2mph? 5mph? 10mph?

Thanks,

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

Assuming we're talking about a driver here. I realize the a Regular vs. Stiff shaft flex can affect different components of a swing weather that being face position at impact, launch angle, etc. My question relates to club head speed alone. Let's say a golfer has a 95 mph swing. That's right on the verge of stiff vs regular for many shaft companies. Assuming all other variables are equal, what would be the difference in club head speed between a stiff and regular shaft?

Whipping like a garden hose after you accidentally drop it - water all over the freakin' place.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I had the same question. I am thinking about purchasing a $15 demo club in the stiff flex and comparing it to the regularflex in my bag( same club).

"I play in the low 80's. If it is an hotter than that, I don't play"

Joe E. Lewis

they don't flex that much.

The R will flex a little more before impact to square the clubface and the S might be a little behind the regular and cause a fade.

the main difference would be ball-flight.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I had the same question. I am thinking about purchasing a $15 demo club in the stiff flex and comparing it to the regularflex in my bag( same club).

Well if we were in the same town, we could switch.

I've been playing stiff for years but my distance has really gone down this year. I'm striking the ball much better but as a trade off, I believe my swing speed has reduced. Part that sucks is I've replaced my entire bag over the last two years. That's a lot of shafts to replace if I have to. I've got some old R flex irons I may try.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

At 95 mph, the regular will take a good amount of timing and rhythm to keep it in play, and it will launch the ball higher. Stepping up for a stiffer shaft will bring down the shot dispersion, all things being equal.

I'm a 112-115 driver swinger, and I'm shopping for a swith to a heavier x flex from my current Fuji Rombax S 85.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Note: This thread is 5074 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!