IGNORED

TaylorMade 3-woods: ST v. TI?

Note: This thread is 6416 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm looking at getting a new 3-wood and can't figure out what the difference is between the TaylorMade ST 3-wood and the TaylorMade TI 3-wood. I think I can figure out that the ST is steel and the TI is titanium but they both apparently come in same shaft options... is that the head material? And if so, which is better?
In My Bag:
Driver: Titleist 983K 9.5°, Harmon HTD CB-65R
3-Wood: Mizuno MP-001, 13°, Harrison Striper Titanium
Hybrid 1: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 16°
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

Steel vs. Titanium. It's all about personal preference - I'd take steel clubface every day - just for the feel. Titanium supposed to have more distance (can be made thinner with more spring effect), but I just like the sound/feel combination of a steel club.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Steel vs. Titanium. It's all about personal preference - I'd take steel clubface every day - just for the feel. Titanium supposed to have more distance (can be made thinner with more spring effect), but I just like the sound/feel combination of a steel club.

Rafcin,

There is a fairly significant difference between R7 steel and titanium metal woods in terms of head shape, face depth, and center of gravity location. The R7 St has a shallow face and a more forward COG for higher launch and spin. The steel model also has a smaller clubhead size. The Ti has a deeper face (the same as the R7 TP fairway) and more rearward COG for lower spin. The titanium model is also a larger head volume. I'd say if you plan on using your fairway metals off the fairway as much as off the tee I would take a strong look at the R7 st. For a club primarily used off the tee for both distance and accuracy I would look into the Ti.

I'd say if you plan on using your fairway metals off the fairway as much as off the tee I would take a strong look at the R7 st. For a club primarily used off the tee for both distance and accuracy I would look into the Ti.

So right now, here's my situation... I typically hit my 16 degree hybrid off the fairway as layups on par 5's, etc and I plan on hitting it 210-220. My 13 degree 3-wood is used primarily off the tee on sub 350 yard par 4's. Almost never does my 3-wood see the light of day unless its off the tee.

I'll still continue hitting my 3-wood primarily off the tee, but in certain events, when I'm 230-250 out, I'd like to have the ability to feel like I can get it there with a 3-wood. That situation arises maybe once every 2-3 rounds for me. gas_can, according to your recommendation, would I still look at the Ti or would the St fit what I'm looking for better?
In My Bag:
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

FAHooGolfs,

At your handicap index, I imagine you're a fairly compotent ball striker?

I would reccomend the R7 titanium, the deeper face will provide greater playability off the tee. It's an absolute cannon off the tee. The only issue I see is the stock Reax shaft. I would highly reccomend a reshaft especially considering your pension for fairly tip stiff shafts like the Striper and the Harmon.

FAHooGolfs,

Sounds great, thanks for the advice! I'm getting better at the ball striking. Even though its not always what I would hope for it to be, I usually hit the ball straight. Sometimes I find that its all in my head and that I think I should be hitting it as well as a scratch golfer... so far, that's just not happening, but I'm working on it.

In My Bag:

FAHooGolfs,

what I did I just took someones 3 wood Reg flex and tipped it 1 inch.. It brought down the ball flight and stiffened the shaft so it wasnt so whippy.. For you, you might need more to tip it more to get it like your driver shaft.. I mean the reax shaft is pretty good for most for the rest a little mod here and there and it good to go..

Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5° TP Stiff
Fairway: Taylor Made V-Steel #3 w/Fujikura Rombax Stiff
Irons: Taylor Made rac LT 4-PW shaft; Rifle Flighted 6.0
Wedges: Tayor Made rac 52° 56° 60°Utility: Taylor Made Rescue TP #3 (Aldila NV Hybid 85g Stiff)Putter: Scotty...

Note: This thread is 6416 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!