IGNORED

Stock Shafts UNTRUE Flex?

Wood
Note: This thread is 6384 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a Taylor Made R5 TP, with the proprietary Mitsubishi Diamana shaft in it. I decided to stop by a club fitter for a range session fitting and launch monitor session. After hitting balls, and judging launch angles, etc, we did some shaft testing. I was shocked to find the "Stiff" flex in my driver was actually just a notch above "Regular" as per the Taylor Made/ Diamana Frequency Specs. My fitter told me it was not uncommon in "stock" shafts to have enormous discrepancies in the stock shaft flexes, regardless of the label on the shaft. It baffled me as to why this stiff shaft was not enough ( my swing speed was averaging 115) to hold the clubhead with my swing.

Problem solved- New Accra MP-4 SC-65 tip 1", 45 1/4" long is being loaded in it now. Can't wait to get to the course.

Results from launch monitor-

111- 118 MPH club head speed
158- 165 MPH ball speed
10.5*- 12.8* Launch Angle
2770 RPM Ball Spin
In The Bag
Ping Rapture 10.5* Aldila Proto 65-S
Sonartec SS 3.5 19* 5W Fuji Tour Platform Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 3-PW
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54.10*, 60.04*Odyssey White Hot 2 BallTitleist Pro V1x

I have a Taylor Made R5 TP, with the proprietary Mitsubishi Diamana shaft in it. I decided to stop by a club fitter for a range session fitting and launch monitor session. After hitting balls, and judging launch angles, etc, we did some shaft testing. I was shocked to find the "Stiff" flex in my driver was actually just a notch above "Regular" as per the Taylor Made/ Diamana Frequency Specs. My fitter told me it was not uncommon in "stock" shafts to have enormous discrepancies in the stock shaft flexes, regardless of the label on the shaft. It baffled me as to why this stiff shaft was not enough ( my swing speed was averaging 115) to hold the clubhead with my swing.

A friend who worked on the tour van tells me Taylormade does not tip shafts installed for retail sale. As a result, most of the shafts are going to play a flex less than a tipped shaft would.

The "proprietary" shaft on the R5TP is a true Blueboard Diamana, just different graphics. The only "proprietary" Diamana out there is found on the Nike SQ's. The difference is that the R5TP has parallel tip section which is an inch longer and may need to be tipped in the shallow bore of the R5.

Just about all companies use the 4" tip section diaman stock, not just TM. Take it out, lop off an inch, and see what happens . . . People get way too hung up on CPM, they really don't mean as much as many people might want to believe.

Wouldn't your swing speed still require an X-flex shaft regardless of the shaft discrepency? I dunno just my two cents.

907D2 9.5 Proforce V2 75 S
906F2 15* Proforce V2 95 S
MD 19* Proforce V2 100 S
735 CM 3-PW DG s400 Vokey 200 53.11*/SM 58.08* DG s300 Scotty C. Studio Design 3.5Balls -

what were your results?? straight fade draw?? how were you hitting your old shaft did you get more distance or just wanted a change??

Im not saying this is what is going on with you. However when I fit customers most of the time its an ego thing with the flexs.. Most people need a reg some a stiff very few need that X-stiff (aka tour stiff)

Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5° TP Stiff
Fairway: Taylor Made V-Steel #3 w/Fujikura Rombax Stiff
Irons: Taylor Made rac LT 4-PW shaft; Rifle Flighted 6.0
Wedges: Tayor Made rac 52° 56° 60°Utility: Taylor Made Rescue TP #3 (Aldila NV Hybid 85g Stiff)Putter: Scotty...

what were your results?? straight fade draw?? how were you hitting your old shaft did you get more distance or just wanted a change??

I was yanking a lot to the left with the old shaft. This was a resonably new club TM sent me as the face on my old 510TP caved in. I did not have the control I did with the old speeder shaft.

The shaft they are putting in was matched to my swing speed and preferred ball flight (straight favoring faid if missed) with shaft frequency. (I think that is how he put it) He is doing something to the tip to make it between x-stiff and stiff- not truly a x stiff flex. Trust me when I say this. If I needed a rubber bending shaft to get more control, I would install it. It has nothing to do with anything but wanting to straighten out my tee ball.
In The Bag
Ping Rapture 10.5* Aldila Proto 65-S
Sonartec SS 3.5 19* 5W Fuji Tour Platform Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 3-PW
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54.10*, 60.04*Odyssey White Hot 2 BallTitleist Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 6384 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!