IGNORED

About to give up on my driver..

bkoguy07
Note: This thread is 4813 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I worked on my driver today, exciting news!  I only got to hit about 15 shots.. But 3 shots(the first 3 ) sliced.. then I started tinkering and got a few to hook then i was back to my old straight long drives!  Now tommorow I have to ingrain this swing and try to make it a lot more consistent and I'll be good.

I widened my stance and after that I started hitting a few hooks, then some baby draws then mostly straight!  It was pretty exciting.

Driver: adams.gif Speedline 9032LS RIP Shaft (Stiff)

3 Wood: adams.gif Oviation 3Wood

Hybrids: taylormade.gif Rescue 18* 3H - 22* 4H

Irons: callaway.gif X-24 Hot Irons 5-PW

Wedges: cleveland.gif CG15 52, 56

Putter: odyssey.gif PT 82

Ball:  e6

Hey, its early season man.  The driver is usually the last club to come around.  I would definately think about getting instruction, but i wouldnt panic and think about getting rid of your driver.  Use a driving iron?  I would just use the clubs that you already have and just remember that it is the early season and you are just trying to get your swing grooved.  I would still use the driver from time to time, especially on the range, so that you can improve your driver swing.

So remember...early season is just time to practice and prepare for the regular season.  If you dont practice with your driver now how will you hit it when you need it?  And dont be fooled.  Hitting the driver is important.  Some people go a little too far when i comes to course management and say hey throw out your driver and use a 2 iron...first of all who has a 2 iron any more?  and secondly the driver is one of the easiest clubs to hit when are swinging it well.

good luck.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by westcyderydin

Hey, its early season man.  The driver is usually the last club to come around.  I would definately think about getting instruction, but i wouldnt panic and think about getting rid of your driver.  Use a driving iron?  I would just use the clubs that you already have and just remember that it is the early season and you are just trying to get your swing grooved.  I would still use the driver from time to time, especially on the range, so that you can improve your driver swing.

So remember...early season is just time to practice and prepare for the regular season.  If you dont practice with your driver now how will you hit it when you need it?  And dont be fooled.  Hitting the driver is important.  Some people go a little too far when i comes to course management and say hey throw out your driver and use a 2 iron...first of all who has a 2 iron any more?  and secondly the driver is one of the easiest clubs to hit when are swinging it well.

good luck.

Haha yeah, it seems to be the most stubborn club to get back into it.  But yeah, its been so nice out.  Mid 60's to 70's.  haha.. just rubbing it in a little.

Driver: adams.gif Speedline 9032LS RIP Shaft (Stiff)

3 Wood: adams.gif Oviation 3Wood

Hybrids: taylormade.gif Rescue 18* 3H - 22* 4H

Irons: callaway.gif X-24 Hot Irons 5-PW

Wedges: cleveland.gif CG15 52, 56

Putter: odyssey.gif PT 82

Ball:  e6

Originally Posted by westcyderydin

Some people go a little too far when i comes to course management and say hey throw out your driver and use a 2 iron...first of all who has a 2 iron any more?  and secondly the driver is one of the easiest clubs to hit when are swinging it well.

I have 3 and I've owned as many as 6; I'm counting Hybrids too. Most pros will tell you the longest club in your bag is the most difficult to hit, but yes, large forgiving drivers will be much easier to hit than a 2 iron, but the consequence of the mishit is going to be much worse. Plus a driver gives you zero feedback. When I play narrow tree lined fairways (of which i play many), the driver rarely sees the light of day (same with the Pros, why should we play any different??)

I would never suggest a 2 iron just for course managment. If a person wants to become and better player and they learn to hit a 2 iron off the tee consistantly, it will transcend into the rest of their long clubs. Not everyone wants to constantly improve though...some people just want to have fun and score better with what they have...that's cool too...they should stay away from the 2 iron...

Good to hear you are straightening them out bk!

In the Bag

Cobra Amp Cell Pro Black Tie 7M3 Stiff  |  LS Hybrid Kurokage Stiff  |
 Nickent 4DX KBS Hybrid Stiff 3,4  | Cobra S3 Pro 5-PW Project X 5.5  |
 Scratch 53*, 59*  |  Odyssey Backstryke  |  Srixon Z Star

Originally Posted by limoric

I have 3 and I've owned as many as 6; I'm counting Hybrids too. Most pros will tell you the longest club in your bag is the most difficult to hit, but yes, large forgiving drivers will be much easier to hit than a 2 iron, but the consequence of the mishit is going to be much worse. Plus a driver gives you zero feedback. When I play narrow tree lined fairways (of which i play many), the driver rarely sees the light of day (same with the Pros, why should we play any different??)

I would never suggest a 2 iron just for course managment. If a person wants to become and better player and they learn to hit a 2 iron off the tee consistantly, it will transcend into the rest of their long clubs. Not everyone wants to constantly improve though...some people just want to have fun and score better with what they have...that's cool too...they should stay away from the 2 iron...

Good to hear you are straightening them out bk!

i hear what youre saying.  I just wouldnt throw a driver out of your bag because you cant hit it.  There are a lot of holes, like narrow fairwayed or wooded holes as you mentioned where it is smart to used a fairway wood, hybrid, or iron of course.  and there are days where maybe it is better that you tee of with a 3 wood cuz your driver is not working.  but when you are hitting the driver decent enough it makes it a lot easier to score.    I like my 8 iron a lot better than my 5 iron for example.

So i think we are mostly in agreement.

and BK, thanks a lot haha.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4813 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!