IGNORED

Student Doing Research on Golfer Attitudes

radixlecti
Note: This thread is 6961 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am a student and a golfer. I'm researching golf consumption and the deeper meaning of why we golf. Does it say something about who we are?

I have 3 classifications of golfer. What do you think about these groups?

Socials
This group just wants to have a chance to be social, have fun, network, have personal growth among friends, and isn’t seriously concerned about a competitive score.

Fundamentals
This group is concerned about the nuances of the game: the perfect swing, the right club, the lie of the green, and the wind speed and direction. Their focus is self-competition, and improving their game. The value is to give direction to effort and energy. Excellence is a state of mind and is achieved through concentration.

Traditionals
Golf is a tradition. This subculture prefers to play with etiquette-minded golfers. Etiquette means behaving well in a social situation, and golf, above all other sports, is a social game that follows a strict code of ethics.

I think those groupings are definitely valid, at least where I'm from in Oklahoma. I had some friends (more like acquaintances) in high school that would only play golf if they had a 6 pack or two or three. They are definitely group 1 on your list. And I have seen a lot of these groups at golf courses around here, mostly courses with cheaper green fees.

But then again, there are a lot of people who just go out and play for fun without having to drink and stuff. I think that is probably me for the most part. In high school, I would get ticked off when I played bad (which was alot of the time), but nowadays I just take advantage of the times I get to play out in the beautiful nature here in Oklahoma.

I would like to look at myself as being a member of group 2 on your list, although I don't get out enough to make it in that group. I would love to go out 5 or 6 days a week and either play or hit at the range. I used to always work with my swing and other things, but I don't do that nearly as much being married and all. But still, that is a category I would like to be a part of.

As far as the traditional group goes, I don't think anyone should play a sport or participate in anything in life without knowing some history of that particular sport, etc. I know a lot of people may differ with me on this, but I am a big historian type of guy and like to know who and what paved the way for things of today's time. I think there are a lot of traditionals, and I also think everyone should be a little more traditional through it all.

So basically, I am a little of all 3 groups, but I am probably mostly a group 1 "calm" golfer. I love to play it for fun, and until I can play everyday, I will stick to that. If I played everyday, I'm sure I would get nastier on the course.

Hope I didn't confuse everyone because I kinda got lost myself..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
I don't see much distinction between the last two groups. Most of the people who take the game seriously don't play with people who breach etiquette regularly. I might suggest grouping folks by their playing frequency, and then perhaps having sub-groups like "social" and "competitive" within those.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks for the input!

So you think Fundamentals and Traditionals are the same? Are they motivated competitively to the same degree? Do all golfers who are concerned with the nuances of the wind, grass, clubs, type of ball, etc, also fall into the traditional etiquette and know all the rules?

Does staunch knowledge of the etiquette mean a golfer is automatically trying to acheive the mental game of golf?

• Administrator
Thanks for the input!

Quite honestly, I have no idea what "achieving the mental game of golf" means.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Mental golf can equate to the inner game of golf:

In the book, The Inner Game of Golf by W. Timothy Gallwey , he talks about how you can overcome self-interferences of tension, self-doubt, fear of failure, anxiety and a limiting self-image with concentration and confidence.

Golf is a goal-oriented game. The value is to give direction to your effort and energy. The target itself offers no satisfaction, it only comes from expressing your energy concentratedly in a single direction. As long as one holds on to that aim and lets satisfaction come from it, one is free of the limitations and frustrations of golf.

Excellence is a state of mind achieved from a base of solid faith in belief in personal potential to act and learn to do what has not yet been achieved.

Hence my question about whether this golfer is different than a golfer who is a stickler for USGA rules.

• Administrator
I don't think you'll ever find a pure mental golfer out there. I think every golfer who's somewhat serious - and thus competes and follows and knows the rules (of the game and of etiquette) - toys with the mental game.

Note: This thread is 6961 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!