IGNORED

Westwood and Rory not playing in the players?

franky21
Note: This thread is 4737 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by henniebogan1966

Why don't you care for the event?

To be completly honest, it's mostly just hole #17.

I might watch it on tape and just FF through those segments. There's too much media / network coverage of that one hole at the expense of other coverage, and it's existence gave so many other courses the incentive to create island greens. What could be slower than an island green for the average hacker (like me)?

There are times when 17 is a pivotal hole (like Allenby's near birdie last year) but by and large it's as critical to the bulk of the field as #16 at Phoenix.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

To be completly honest, it's mostly just hole #17.

I might watch it on tape and just FF through those segments. There's too much media / network coverage of that one hole at the expense of other coverage, and it's existence gave so many other courses the incentive to create island greens. What could be slower than an island green for the average hacker (like me)?

There are times when 17 is a pivotal hole (like Allenby's near birdie last year) but by and large it's as critical to the bulk of the field as #16 at Phoenix.

Not sure if you've ever been there but I've had the pleasure of attending two Players Championships. That hole is one of the most intimidating I've ever witnessed. But the whole course seems like that. There is very little let up in the design at all, challenging seemingly every swing you make. I love 17 for the drama it creates each day. You can't make a mistake on that hole, and yet it can provide 'the moment' a la Sergio for his win, or Tiger's "better than most" moment. Great golf course, unique design, and 3 great finishing holes.

Not sure if you've ever been there but I've had the pleasure of attending two Players Championships. That hole is one of the most intimidating I've ever witnessed. But the whole course seems like that. There is very little let up in the design at all, challenging seemingly every swing you make. I love 17 for the drama it creates each day. You can't make a mistake on that hole, and yet it can provide 'the moment' a la Sergio for his win, or Tiger's "better than most" moment. Great golf course, unique design, and 3 great finishing holes.

You make it sound like a horrible nightmare.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

You make it sound like a horrible nightmare.

Depends on the attitude you take to that golf course. Do you see it as that, or as a challenge and a great golf course with great sightlines off the tee boxes? I choose the latter. It's a geat venue and I've always been impressed by it. Can it be intimidating? You bet it can. But the joy of playing golf for me, always keeps me in a more positive frame of mind. I've never played, nor been to Pebble Beach. But man does it look intimidating, especially when the wind is up. But would I love to play it? You betcha!!!  Pebble, Augusta, and Pinehurst are all courses that are on my wishlist (golf bucketlist),

Westwood being world #1 is a joke because this year he hasnt even been playing against the best competition.  Luke Donald should be the world #1 right now because, unlike Westwood, he plays against the best players in the world week in and week out.  Donald doesnt go play some nothing tournament in Asia like Westwood.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

henniebogan 1966 said (edited)

'Who cares if these guys are taking their ball and run home to cash appearance checks'.

Well, Westwood is at home right now and getting ready to take his 10 year old son to this weekends FA Cup Final (soccer) between Manchester City v Stoke City in the UK.

The understanding this side of the pond is the PGA tour would not allow him to play the event a week before  The Players ( rightly or wrongly) so Westwood (rightly or wrongly) decided to pull out, as he is not a PGA member.

Frankie 21

Why can't you stand top Euro players playing full time on the Euro tour?

Depends on the attitude you take to that golf course. Do you see it as that, or as a challenge and a great golf course with great sightlines off the tee boxes? I choose the latter. It's a geat venue and I've always been impressed by it. Can it be intimidating? You bet it can. But the joy of playing golf for me, always keeps me in a more positive frame of mind. I've never played, nor been to Pebble Beach. But man does it look intimidating, especially when the wind is up. But would I love to play it? You betcha!!!  Pebble, Augusta, and Pinehurst are all courses that are on my wishlist (golf bucketlist),

We have a couple local courses that are ball eaters too. Fill your boots. I'll pass.

Originally Posted by Vermeer

henniebogan 1966 said (edited)

'Who cares if these guys are taking their ball and run home to cash appearance checks'.

Well, Westwood is at home right now and getting ready to take his 10 year old son to this weekends FA Cup Final (soccer) between Manchester City v Stoke City in the UK.

The understanding this side of the pond is the PGA tour would not allow him to play the event a week before  The Players ( rightly or wrongly) so Westwood (rightly or wrongly) decided to pull out, as he is not a PGA member.

Frankie 21

Why can't you stand top Euro players playing full time on the Euro tour?

I have nothing against any of them. They all have the right to play wherever they'd like when they'd like. But in my opinion, both should have played in this event and could have made it happen if they chose to. (speaking of both Westwood and Rory.) It was their choice and their loss. Personally I think too much was made of it as I never saw Westwood as a true #1 anyway and all Rory's done over here is win at Quail Hollow. So to me, I'm not that impressed with either as far as their work over here. Let them come play full time over here and we'll talk. Until then, they're playing mostly in 2nd tier events over there.

We have a couple local courses that are ball eaters too. Fill your boots. I'll pass.

To each his own, and I would agree that if we're talking about enjoyment of the game meaning not losing a ton of golf balls, having wide fairways, little water or bunkering and relatively easy layouts overall. I've played plenty of those in my time, but found that doing so too much doesn't properly prepare me for tougher layouts.

To each his own, and I would agree that if we're talking about enjoyment of the game meaning not losing a ton of golf balls, having wide fairways, little water or bunkering and relatively easy layouts overall. I've played plenty of those in my time, but found that doing so too much doesn't properly prepare me for tougher layouts.

I don't need an executive track to enjoy the game, but extremely contrived and unnatural isn't my cup of tea either. Maybe if I'd played it I'd think differently, but for the record I also think The Old Course at St Andrews (looks like the cow pasture (literally) I grew up playing) and Augusta National are overrated based on TV coverage too, so maybe the awesomeness of great courses is lost on someone who's only seen them on a low definition flat screen.

I don't need an executive track to enjoy the game, but extremely contrived and unnatural isn't my cup of tea either. Maybe if I'd played it I'd think differently, but for the record I also think The Old Course at St Andrews (looks like the cow pasture (literally) I grew up playing) and Augusta National are overrated based on TV coverage too, so maybe the awesomeness of great courses is lost on someone who's only seen them on a low definition flat screen.

The Old course at St. Andrews looks like a  cow pasture? Well a good few years ago sheep wandered the yet to be called fairways, and folklore suggests the bunkers were first formed by them sheltering from the harsh winds.

Played the Old Course twice and it certainly is a bit scrubby and take away the 1st, 17th and 18th holes and you have at best a good course but not a great one except for that one thing that changes all that,HISTORY, which cannot be shown on the flat screen, but can be felt by the viewers.

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

Westwood being world #1 is a joke because this year he hasnt even been playing against the best competition.  Luke Donald should be the world #1 right now because, unlike Westwood, he plays against the best players in the world week in and week out.  Donald doesnt go play some nothing tournament in Asia like Westwood.

Westwood is deserved #1 becuase it's based on the last 'rolling' 2 years points with an emphasis on the last 13 weeks so that it ties and be current. Yes you're correct that if it was down to just this year then it would be Donald, he is playing good golf. By playing in Asia it actually made it harder for Westwood to stay #1 as he has more points to give up and less he can win because of the rolling aspect (see below). Nothing against Donald (I actually like the guy) he went to play America years ago because he knew top 20 finishes there earned him more money (that's why Americans don't travel or is that just lack of passport) than playing Europe. Nothing to do with OWGR points. Donald didn't win that many tournaments in Europe either. Yes we could argue Donald's golf got better since going across the pond, but please let's not. You only have to look at Paul Casey, never won in 2010, but could have been Fed Ex cahampion #7 in the world. You all just have to get over it Westwood is #1 because he is.

westood vs donald.jpg

In my mizuno.gif Neo Cart Bag or rife.gif Staff Bag on clicgear.gif 2.0 Trolley
 Driver: R11 10.5* |  3W: CB4 15* | adams.gif Hybrid: Idea Pro (20* & 23*)
bridgestone.gif Irons: J36 Cavity Back (5-PW) | vokey.gif Wedges: S.M Oil Cans: 52.08, 56.08 & 60.04
rife.gif Putter: 2-bar Hybrid Blade | bridgestone.gif Ball: B330-RX  Ball: Pro V1

No great loss for the tournament. Westwood backed into the #1 spot to begin with and Rory is who he is. Let them play in their small event over there and we'll enjoy those who were classy enough to show up for The Players Championship. The deepest field of the year and second only to the majors in terms of world ranking points awarded.

I agree, i just think it stinks for the number one player in the world not to be playing in the best tournament of the week. I just feel that the number one ranking is up in the air and what other way would you want to make sure that you are going to keep it then by playing tpc. But hey that is just my opinion. The field is stacked and it will still be a very exciting tournament.

Originally Posted by franky21

I agree, i just think it stinks for the number one player in the world not to be playing in the best tournament of the week. I just feel that the number one ranking is up in the air and what other way would you want to make sure that you are going to keep it then by playing tpc. But hey that is just my opinion. The field is stacked and it will still be a very exciting tournament.

Personally I think that Westwood is ducking this tournament after his bad memories from last year. Had it in his grip and choked it away. Oh well. I'm enjoying it so far, watched most of the first round today and will watch most of the second round tomorrow. Loved the coverage on TGC and the switching up of commentators. Was good hearing different voices from time to time and it gave a nice change of pace. Like that Watney is up there again as well as Glover. I'm hoping that Phil can put together a big round tomorrow and get back into this after giving away so many opportunities today. I'd love to see an American win this thing going away and it'd be great to see Watney or even Glover win this thing if Phil can't.

Personally I think that Westwood is ducking this tournament after his bad memories from last year. Had it in his grip and choked it away. Oh well. I'm enjoying it so far, watched most of the first round today and will watch most of the second round tomorrow. Loved the coverage on TGC and the switching up of commentators. Was good hearing different voices from time to time and it gave a nice change of pace. Like that Watney is up there again as well as Glover. I'm hoping that Phil can put together a big round tomorrow and get back into this after giving away so many opportunities today. I'd love to see an American win this thing going away and it'd be great to see Watney or even Glover win this thing if Phil can't.

Yes i can't agree more it would be nice for a american to finally win. Westwood i guess would rather play in Korea?????????????? But to each his own, Rory is not trying to challenge himself against the toughest field he would have faced since Augusta. He must still be afraid of hooking it everytime he is in contention on sunday. But the tournament won't suffer they will because there is alot of points on the line. But i will still be watching the tournament.

Originally Posted by franky21

Yes i can't agree more it would be nice for a american to finally win. Westwood i guess would rather play in Korea?????????????? But to each his own, Rory is not trying to challenge himself against the toughest field he would have faced since Augusta. He must still be afraid of hooking it everytime he is in contention on sunday. But the tournament won't suffer they will because there is alot of points on the line. But i will still be watching the tournament.

I feel bad for Rory as he had his hands on The Masters Trophy (yes the glass trophy of the clubhouse that the winner gets along with the green jacket) and he let it slip away with seemingly one swing. Peter Jacobsen eluded to that last night during Golf Talk on TGC. That he believes that if Rory pipes the drive on #10 that he wins. I tend to agree with that as that swing set alot of other bad swings in motion.  But the fact remains that this is the deepest field of the year and Rory and Lee both passed on a great opportunity. To what end we don't know yet, but in my opinion it's their loss. This is a great event, played on a great golf course, and we'll have a very deserving (hopefully American) winner this weekend. Unfortunately I'm laid up with 2 repaired hernias that I just had operated on yesterday so I'm watching from the comfort of my bed for the next couple of weeks as I heal back up.

I feel bad for Rory as he had his hands on The Masters Trophy (yes the glass trophy of the clubhouse that the winner gets along with the green jacket) and he let it slip away with seemingly one swing. Peter Jacobsen eluded to that last night during Golf Talk on TGC. That he believes that if Rory pipes the drive on #10 that he wins. I tend to agree with that as that swing set alot of other bad swings in motion.  But the fact remains that this is the deepest field of the year and Rory and Lee both passed on a great opportunity. To what end we don't know yet, but in my opinion it's their loss. This is a great event, played on a great golf course, and we'll have a very deserving (hopefully American) winner this weekend. Unfortunately I'm laid up with 2 repaired hernias that I just had operated on yesterday so I'm watching from the comfort of my bed for the next couple of weeks as I heal back up.

Yes he did let it slip away, i was very surprised considering how freakishly good he was playing in the first three rounds. But tpc was great today to bad those guys we not there but im sure there are other reasons that are not being stated. Well if Westwood loses his ranking he can blame it on his manager. Get better soon so you can get back out there and start swinging those clubs.

Note: This thread is 4737 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!