IGNORED

My Swing (Daz85UK)

Daz85UK
Note: This thread is 4711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Went to the range today and concentrated on making sure my forearms and hands rolled over through impact and hit ALOT straighter shots, and even managed to hit some draws. However I still managed to slice and push a few of the shots. The vidoes below are 6 Iron.

Would really like some advice on what I could improve on.

Thanks

You need to work on your weight shift.  You weight shifts back a little onto your right side in your backswing.  In general you want to minimize this, but you're not doing it too egregiously.  The egregious problem is that it stays there.  You never get your weight to move forward during your swing, and you finish with your weight still mostly on your right foot.

I'd concentrate on taking backswings where you don't transfer your weight to the right foot (you should try to stay centered, which to you will feel like you're staying on the left foot), and then learn to start the downswing by sliding the hips.  The first move of the downswing (in fact, for many good players this move starts before the club even reaches the very top) is for the hips to slide laterally forward.  You get the hips in front, which exert force through the torso to the shoulders, which turn and pull the arms through, which pull the hands through, which pull the club through.  Each component gets it power from the previous one.  By the time your hips have started forward and each of those other parts have whipped through impact, you can't help but land on your left foot.  The fact that the hips are already left and the rest has caught up will ensure it.

There are a lot of details in how to implement this move correctly that can't be described in one post.  But start by making sure the hips slide forward to start the downswing.

-Andrew

Went to the range again today.

Tried the weight shifting forward by pushing the hips forward and I topped the ball 8 times out of 10, it felt like i was going to hit the ball first then the ground, but for some reason i was catching the top of the ball with what felt like the leading edge of the club. Every now and again i'd chunk it or i'd hit the ball with what seemed to me like a clean strike (Felt no impact with the mat at all) and would hit a massive push as I felt like i couldnt close or roll my forearms through impact.

Went through a phase of about 5 mins where i felt like i was hitting the ball well and even hit a few draws but the ball never seemed to fly more than 110-120yards and after about 10-15 balls i was back to topping or slicing and couldnt replicate the swing where i was hitting a draw.

The shots i hit clean (i.e no chunking or topping) flew straight some with a small fade but again never seemed to fly very far and i always felt like i was on my back foot after impact (exactly like the videos above)

I tried out the S&T; style of keeping the weight on the front foot and keeping the weight moving forward during the swing but it felt like i was moving away from the ball, then topping the ball very bad.

I can't quite get the feeling of hitting through the ball as everytime i try, i'll top the ball , chunk it massively or be so out of balance I fall towards my target on the follow through.

Also hit my for a few balls and sliced it massively, although if I hit it straight the ball would fly up in the air and go barely 120 yards.

For the first time ever I have got a callus on my right middle finger next to my nail on the side that points towards my ring finger (I am a righty) could this be something to do with my grip being wrong and why im hitting it badly?

Didnt get any video this time but can anyone have a stab at what might be going on?

Sounds like you tried to get your weight going forward during the swing, but are doing it from the chest/shoulders/head, rather than from the hips.  If you get your center way out in front of the ball, you're going to top it a lot, and fall forward after the swing.  You need to make the swing start with the hips going forward, but without your upper body getting out of position by the time the arms and club swing through.

I don't think I can tell you any more over the internet and have it be helpful.  Me writing down words is really no substitute for someone qualified working with you in person.  But you do need to figure out how to get those hips moving forward to start the swing, and the resulting full body motion, once you're timing it right, will have your weight landing on the front foot on the follow through.

-Andrew

Your swing is pretty good and I would suggest a minor tweak that should be a big help.  From the top, slow down.  Allow your right leg to begin releasing into the swing before your arms come down.  This will get your weight flowing foward and allow your arms to trail your lower body giving you both and in-to-out swing as well as some much needed lag.

To me, you have a sequencing issue more than anything else.  That sequencing is leading to your weight being stuck on your right, your arms leading the downswing, your out it in swing path, no lag, and that lift right at impact.  Sounds like a lot but it's really not that big of a deal.  Just allow your lower right side to begin releasing before your arms come down.  Don't drive your lower right, don't force your weight un-naturally... from the top, allow your weight to flow forward and your right leg to begin releasing before your arms drop into the slot.

Thanks for the replies, had my first lesson from a professional 2 days ago and he said that my hands were getting too far ahead at impact and i wasnt releasing the ball till long after the ball had gone hence the pushes and slices. He worked on my swing for a while and im now hitting a lot straighter shots and even a few draws.

tshapiro, thanks I will give that a go when I go down the range tomorrow..When I try to push the hips forward I do try to force it as you said which is obviously causing a problem.

I find I also have a problem in that I think I lift my head early, more so when im on the course. I never actually see my clubhead hit the ball, I presume this is because my head is coming up?

Thanks Again for the help i'll keep working on it.

Darren

Note: This thread is 4711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!