IGNORED

Hello! American living in England!

gacklez
Note: This thread is 4834 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey fellas,

Don't read this unless you're interested in a big blob of text about me-- Sorry if this is in the wrong forum! Be forewarned I'm not the best of writers.Take care guys!

The name is Jason.. I'm currently stationed in England with the USAF. I'm not really sure why it took me so long to pick up this game but my friend got me into it three months ago and I haven't looked back. I'm 23 by the way.

I'm extremely competitive so I'm just trying to get better and better. I started out with my first game being a 126 and that was being nice.. you know.. re-hits and mulligans whatever.. I've had three lessons from a local pro and I've pretty much been playing nearly every day for the entire 3 months. Usually at least 9 holes and some chipping.putting practice.

My main problems as of late are hitting the irons fat or thin and inconsistent chipping. I suppose my woods are extremely inconsistent as well. Usually I hit thin and end up smashing them into the ground-- and if I hit them clean they end up slicing a bit. However, my driver is usually straight down the middle if not a slight fade or draw and they average around 235 or 240. A nice drive with the wind behind was lasered at 293 and I'm not really sure what my low end is.

Today I shot my best full round. I got a 44 on the front and 46 on the back for a 90. My best on 9 holes is a 43.

The thing about my 90 today was.. I had four pars, one birdie and seven bogeys. My disaster of the day was a triple on a par 3.

I found myself 100 yards from the hole once on a par three lying in 1. Thankfully I came out with a bogey.

I would duff 30 foot chips, but sink some 20 foot putts.

In good news.. I started breaking into the 90's as my trajectory got higher with my irons.. I actually have to use my ball mark repairer now (lol) so I'm looking for that same high shot basically.

I'm 6'3 with a normal Wrist to Floor height.. so I think my irons might need an extra 1/2 inch or so.. looking to do that soon+ switch to a common grip amongst all of my clubs minus the putter. Every one of my clubs is a different brand practically.

Cleveland HiBore XLS Tour 9.5 X-stiff aldila nv 55

Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 13 degree 3 wood - stiff

Callaway Diablo Edge 5 wood -Stiff

3H 5-P Nike Slingshot (2010 model) <-- these are new for me -- Uniflex true-temper shafts

Titleist 52 and 56 degree vokey spin milled wedges

John Letters TXtra Spin 60 degree wedge

Taylormade Ghost TM-880 putter

So as you can tell... my clubs have a wide range of inconsistent feels due to the grips since my bag is seriously like a bag of skittles.

This is probably getting pretty boring for you guys as I'm telling my whole life story.. but uhh are there any areas you guys could suggest I practice more often .. or a practice routine that will help me lower my handicap consistently?

I'd rate my strengths and weaknesses as of now for my level of play and handicap at:

Driver: 8/10

3 Wood: 4/10

5 Wood: 6/10

Hybrid: 4/10

Irons: 7/10

Chipping: 6/10

Putting: 8/10

I practice very often and I'm always looking to improve.. I don't know what realistic goals I should be shooting for

I feel veryyy inconsistent on setting up to the ball and getting that same swing/comfort level I feel on my good strokes. I'm just trying to find a great way to feel confident and comfortable so I don't strike the ball fat or thin.. I want that consistency.. just hitting the ball clean every time would save me sooo many strokes. I'm sure there's no magic trick or tip here but I'm looking for anything.

Anyway.. thanks for reading and any comments are welcome.

Looking forward to being a part of the community.

Jason

Jason,

Welcome to The Sand Trap and thank you for your service in the armed forces.

As for lowering your handicap,  practicing shots within 100 yards of the green are the quickest ways to lower scores.

Welcome!

Alan

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4834 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!