IGNORED

VS Proto by Aldila or UST V2 shaft

Note: This thread is 6289 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am purchasing a new driver this spring but I am having trouble deciding what
shaft to go along with it.

I am using a Grafalloy BiMatrix prototype X-stiff but unfortunatley I don't think I have quite the swing speed to get anything out
of it.

I have decided to go back to a Stiff but I am still undecided with shafts.

I have narrowed it down to an Aldila Vs Proto 'ByYou' or a UST V2. I have heard good things about both.

If anyone has an opinion or any other shafts that would be great, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have a swing speed of 105-115 but leaning towards a stiff.

Driver: Speed Pro D 9.5*

3 Wood: 904F4 15.5*

Hybrid: 585.H 19*Irons: MP-32 4-PWWedges: 52* CG12 DSG 58* CG12 DSG 64* CG12 DSGPutter: custom Studio Select Newport 2 Mid-SlantBall: Pro V1x

best bet is to go hit both shafts in whatever head you plan on getting. while one shaft may be "better" than the other, it doesn't mean you will like it more.
Driver: SQ 9.5* w/ Aldila NV 65 Stiff
3 Wood: X-Tour 13* w/ Aldila NV 65 Stiff
Irons: 3-PW 695MB w/ True Tempor Dynamic Gold S300
Wedges: Vokey 250.08 Oil Can, 254.10 Oil Can, SM60.08 Tour Chrome
Putter: Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #3

both great shafts hard to choose a winner
Whats in my Bag

Driver:
Ping Rapture 9 Degree Aldila VS Proto By You Stiff Shaft 65g
3 Wood:
Titleist 906F2 UST Proforce V2 85g
Irons:
Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Dynamic Gold S300 shaftWedges: Callaway X Tour Vintage 52 and 56 lofts Dynamic Gold S300 ShaftPutter: Scotty Cameron Red XBag: Taylor Made R7...

i have the proforce gold in my driver and i really like it. i don't know anything about the aldila shaft except aldila does make a very good shaft. about the ust shaft, it is not very forgiving. go out to the practice tee with both and see which one works for you.

in the bag:
driver-titleist D2 10.5* w/aldila nv shaft
3-adams speedline fast 10 w/aldila shaft
hybrid-titleist 585 17* w/aldila shaft
irons-titleist 735cm w/ttdg s-300 shafts

wedges-cleveland 588, 53* and 60* w/ttdg shafts

putter-scotty circa 62 #1, gun metal finish

ball-pro v1

shoe-dryjoys

I was just in the same situation as your in now about a month ago. I looked into aldila shafts and all everyone kept tellin me was to check out Grafalloy pro launch blue. I had the bi matrix on my R5 Dual and didnt like it at all. My swing speed is in the same range as yours and I just picke up a Grafalloy Blue Superlite X stiff. Its meant for my swing speed range and has mid launch angle.

SuperQuad 9.5 stiff
GT2 Undercut
Harmonized *52 *56
Black OZ

Well, I have not used the Aldila shaft you mentioned, but I do have a UST V2 in my driver. It is the 76gm version with 2.2 torque.

It is a tremendous shaft. Plays stiff, but would probably be a good transition if you are coming down from X flex. If you can load it, it accepts it willingly and is right where you expect it to be coming into impact. It is not wippy/wobbly and inconsistent like some of the Aldila shafts (not the specific one you mentioned) I have tried before ie NV.

It is very good at limiting how far left, or right a miss hit shot will go. (torque) and when you hit it center face - well any shaft is good - but this one is really good.

With driver though, do as others have said. Get to a launch monitor and see what each shaft produces - numbers wise. Then, outside, see what they produce in real life.

It is such a big choice since you only carry one and there are so many good ones!

Have fun testing!

J.P.

Bridgestone J33 10.5* Fujikura Rombax w
Bridgestone J33 15* Fujikura Zcom tw74
Tour Edge XCG 18* 3 hybrid Mizuno MP30 4-PW DG S300Vokey SM 52 bent 51Vokey Spin Milled 56 & 60Cameron Newport BchBridgestone B330s

Thanks for the comments guys.

Driver: Speed Pro D 9.5*

3 Wood: 904F4 15.5*

Hybrid: 585.H 19*Irons: MP-32 4-PWWedges: 52* CG12 DSG 58* CG12 DSG 64* CG12 DSGPutter: custom Studio Select Newport 2 Mid-SlantBall: Pro V1x

Thanks for the comments guys.

BigHitta,

The VS Proto and V2 are completely different shafts. The VS proto has an active tip section, but remains stable and firm thanks to their nano-tube construction. It is extremely stiff in the butt. The V2 is a fantastic "all around" shaft which comes in a long 4 inch tip section which allows players to tailor the shafts performance to meet their individual requirement and installation. It is semi soft in the butt and tip and firm in the midsection. What head you plan on installing the shaft into is also very important. A bore through head such as Titliest will need to be a blind bore installation for the VS proto, while the V2 can be fully inserted. Tipping will be needed if you are planning on using a standard bore such as TaylorMade.

My suggestion is to get fitted on a launch monitor. You can try all kinds of different shafts and see where the ball lands in the fairway, trajectory, and spin rate.

I hate goofing around with golf shafts. Every company is so different. I had a Mitsubishi in my Taylor Made 580XD and was leaving everything out to the right. Got on the launch monitor and saw that the shaft wasn't unloading when it should have. Found out the stiff for Mitsubishi is like a x-stiff in UST or Graffaloy. I Ended up going back with the UST Proforce 65. I got on the launch monitor with my R7 and the RE AX shaft and compared it to the UST, Aldila, Penley, Graphite Design and the difference wasn't much so I stayed with the Re Ax. That's probably one of the best OM shafts I've come across.

What's in my bag
Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 degrees UST Proforce 65 shaft
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel 15 degrees
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 22 degrees (UST IROD shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

Note: This thread is 6289 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!