IGNORED

Club fitting - shaft length/gripping down

Note: This thread is 6281 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Everyone keeps saying how important it is to get fitted, but I have been fitted a few times with different answers each time.

1. Standard length and lie.
2. + 1/2-inch length, 2 deg. upright lie.
3. + 1 inch length, standard lie.

I know different fitters may reach different conclusions, but this seems like too wide range of suggestions.

I am taking lessons from the guy who did the third fitting, he has me gripping down ~3/4 inch from the end of the grip. Does this sound right?

I am ~6'2" tall, with a wrist to floor measurement of 38" and a bad lower back.

So now I am confused/frustrated.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Everyone keeps saying how important it is to get fitted, but I have been fitted a few times with different answers each time.

Fitting is important from the beginner to the low handicapper. Making better contact with the ball increases accuracy and distance.

Variances in fittings will vary upon your swing, especially posture. One factor in your fittings is your wrist to floor measurement, which would under static fitting would place you in a more upright lie angle. However, mentioning that you have a bad lower back leads me to believe that your posture has affected your fittings the most. Changes in your swing will also lead to different lie angle readings. Also if you were taking lessons or were about to take lessons that could influence the clubfitters recommendations.

I am taking lessons from the guy who did the third fitting, he has me gripping down ~3/4 inch from the end of the grip. Does this sound right?

This all depends on what your instructor and your goals are.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am frustrated with the club fitting also. I'm 6'1" tall and my wrist to floor is 36". I got fitted for Hogan Apex Plus irons 6 years ago and really didn't think the fitting was right. My irons are +1.25 inches long and +2 degrees upright with X-100 dynamic gold shafts. A friend of mine also got fitted the same day and they recomended he get shafts +2 inches long on his irons and he's shorter than me??? I question if they got it right???

I am frustrated with the club fitting also. I'm 6'1" tall and my wrist to floor is 36". I got fitted for Hogan Apex Plus irons 6 years ago and really didn't think the fitting was right. My irons are +1.25 inches long and +2 degrees upright with X-100 dynamic gold shafts. A friend of mine also got fitted the same day and they recomended he get shafts +2 inches long on his irons and he's shorter than me??? I question if they got it right???

Not knowing all the facts, however this seems excessive to me.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I HEAR YOU! Fact is though, the world of fitting may be a bit more art to some than science. Perhaps some clubfitters could comment, but I heard something about 1" addition in length is equal to adjusting the head one degree upright. Anyway, your last two fittings appear to be trying to achieve the same thing. More in common than less. What I mean is making the shaft longer has the effect of making the initial swing plane flatter. Adjusting lie upward means the impact may be a bit steep - out to the toe on the sole of the head. The fitters must notice a bit of a steep approach to the ball, and could be trying to flatten you out - one with increased length alone, the other with a combination. As far as the standard guy goes, that may have been suggested with the hope of a swing change in mind that would have you approach impact a bit more shallow. As far as your later comment goes, the guy teaching that added an inch - then tells you to grip down 3/4 - got me on that one. Did he really want your clubs 1/4 inch longer but couldn't do that?? Don't get frustrated. Ask the guy why. If you don't like the answer, move on. I love my teacher - he uses first rate video equipment and fundamentals. It is amazing to see on the video, how simple changes in grip and set up, change the clubface position and swing path, Hang in there!

J.P.

Bridgestone J33 10.5* Fujikura Rombax w
Bridgestone J33 15* Fujikura Zcom tw74
Tour Edge XCG 18* 3 hybrid Mizuno MP30 4-PW DG S300Vokey SM 52 bent 51Vokey Spin Milled 56 & 60Cameron Newport BchBridgestone B330s

I am 6'3"
I did my own calculations using the Ping website, then compared that result with the fitter at Roger Dunn's Golf Shop in LA. The website and the fitter came up with the same recommendation. +1/2", standard lie. I also went to the Wynn oversized grips.

http://www.pinggolf.com/global_webfit.html

Gripping down regularly is not a good thing. It will inhibit your release of the hands.

As far as your later comment goes, the guy teaching that added an inch - then tells you to grip down 3/4 - got me on that one. Did he really want your clubs 1/4 inch longer but couldn't do that??

He suggested I look at RAC OS, I assume they can be made +1-1/4 inch.

With my standard set I was gripping at the very end of the grip maybe even a hair off the grip. So with a +1 inch club, he said gripping down that far would make the club more secure. It sounds a little odd to me, but under his teaching I have been striking the ball much better on average. However, I have been attacked by the shanks on several occasions as well.

Note: This thread is 6281 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!