IGNORED

Tiger and Phils Personal Relationship.

JackTheSmuggler
Note: This thread is 6231 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Hey, what did Vijay say about Tiger that pissed him off?

I think it was more that Vijay's caddie had "Tiger Who?" on his cap or something.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think it was more that Vijay's caddie had "Tiger Who?" on his cap or something.

Oh yeah, that's right. I remember something like that. See, that's what I'm talking about! Good stuff.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

I will take Phil's attitude any day of the week. A guy who can smile through adversity and then steps up and takes his lumps is admirable. And if you think Phil doesn't have tenacity, guess again. If you think he is not generous, then you need to do some more reading. Too many reporters have written that 'Team Tiger' is too private, too secure and not genuine. I beg anyone to say that of Phil. Tiger could also learn a lot from Phil.

The difference is that Tiger is one of the most famous people in the world. Everything he does is scrutinized. He needs to stay private. Phil is just one of the most famous golfers on the Tour. If he falls off a little, it would not be that big of a deal. He has had some publicity about gambling in the past. No big deal. It was a blip on the screen. Tiger does that and it's front page news. The press would kill him for it.

Tiger is like some of the other greats in sports. Jordan, Magic, Bird, etc. They step on the court and everything changes. They will rip your heart out to win. After the game, they go back to smiling and having a good time. Tiger has said that every time he goes out there he expects to win. He would quit tomorrow if that was not the case. I think that too often we confuse the game these guys play with the one we play. The rules and the objective may be the same, but this is their job. In any line of work, you want to be on top and stay on top. Once you get there everyone wants to knock you down. Tiger has a bullseye on his back. If he is not winning he is not happy. Phil is a fierce competitor as well. He just displays it a different way. If I was going to tell my kids which one of these guys to model their character after I would tell them to try and take the best from both. It's OK to have fun and let people know that you are. However, I also tell them that it's OK to hate losing and to want to be the very best at anything you do.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

A few years ago, before the Buick/Torrey Pines event, I think Phil (he was still with Titliest) made a comment about Tiger's clubs, i.e. only someone of Tiger's abilities could win with that inferior equipment. Sounded like sour grapes to me....I think over the year's, it seems that Phil (and camp) have come up with some really silly remarks. Tiger's responses have generally been displayed on the course, with results.

Pelz made a remark at the '06 PGA about Phil having the best short game in the world, "When Phil's at his best, I'm thinking nobody can beat him." "His short game, I believe, is the best in the world. He doesn't have a serious weakness inside 150 yards"

Anyone remember what Tiger's response was? Oh, yeah, he won his 12th major.

WITB: Driver: Titleist 910 D2 10.5 R / 5 Wood: r7 ti / Irons: Ping G15 Steel R (3-P, U), / Wedges: Vokey SM4 56/11 SM4 60/07 / Putter: Scotty GoLo 33" / Ball: Titleist Velocity / Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 4.0 / GPS: SG3

A few years ago, before the Buick/Torrey Pines event, I think Phil (he was still with Titliest) made a comment about Tiger's clubs, i.e. only someone of Tiger's abilities could win with that inferior equipment.

I was pissed when I first heard that too. When he explained what he meant, it did make a little sense. He meant that Tiger was playing with a smaller driver and a steel shaft.

I agree that Tiger talks with his actions, not his words.
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

A few years ago, before the Buick/Torrey Pines event, I think Phil (he was still with Titliest) made a comment about Tiger's clubs, i.e. only someone of Tiger's abilities could win with that inferior equipment. Sounded like sour grapes to me....I think over the year's, it seems that Phil (and camp) have come up with some really silly remarks. Tiger's responses have generally been displayed on the course, with results.

I'm sorry but I just don't understand the sour grapes thing. Or why anyone would be pissed at that. Wouldn't that comment give Tiger more credit for his ability? so what, he bashed Nike... LOL, I'll second that! It's not like Phil was saying that Tiger had to use Slingshot irons to win golf tournaments because he needs something forgiving. I mean he pretty much said Tiger was the best and wasn't taking advantage of the latest technology. Wow, nice compliment.

• Administrator
Actually, Tiger agreed that Mickelson has a better short game, or was superior from 100 yards in.

I haven't heard that. Cite a source? I'd be shocked if you could find a quote of Tiger saying anyone is better at anything than him in the game of golf. Even if it's true, it's just not how he thinks.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Actually, Tiger agreed that Mickelson has a better short game, or was superior from 100 yards in.

I've heard Tiger say Phil as a great short game but never heard him say it was better than his.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

I don't think Tiger really cares about Mickelson, or anyone else on the tour (when it comes to competition). If you look at the all-time greats in every sport, they are only concerned with what they need to do and can do, not what anyone else is doing. They usually aren't great friends with many people at all, on the field/course/court/ice/etc. or off. It usually takes a different type of personality to be head and shoulders above EVERYBODY at something. Magic may be one of the exceptions... Everybody loved Magic.

I don't think Tiger really cares about Mickelson, or anyone else on the tour (when it comes to competition). If you look at the all-time greats in every sport, they are only concerned with what they need to do and can do, not what anyone else is doing. They usually aren't great friends with many people at all, on the field/course/court/ice/etc. or off. It usually takes a different type of personality to be head and shoulders above EVERYBODY at something. Magic may be one of the exceptions... Everybody loved Magic.

Everybody loved Magic, but he was a fierce compettitior. He would punch you in the face if he thought it would help him win the championship. There were plenty pictures of him smiling, but when the game was on, he had the killer look in his eye and the smile would fade. That's what it was all about for him. Winning.

I have no written source on the matter, but I heard it on the Golf Channel about two weeks ago.

This was during the PGA, last year I believe, when Pelz said something to the effect that Mickelson was better from 150 yards in and when Mickelson was "on" nobody could beat him, or something along those lines. That you can google and find rather easily.

However, the Golf Channel stated that, when asked if Mickelson's short game, which is not the same as anything from 150 yards in, obviously, was better than Tiger's, Mr. Woods responded that it probably was.

I think Tiger merely meant that Mickelson was more imaginative around the greens, and in the closer areas.

But, again, that was said on the Golf Channel, and you are not going to find that in print, or in a quote made by Tiger, which you alluded to, earlier.

I haven't heard that. Cite a source? I'd be shocked if you could find a quote of Tiger saying anyone is better at anything than him in the game of golf. Even if it's true, it's just not how he thinks.

I'm with Erik on this one. I can't imagine Tiger stating that Phil, or anyone for that matter on tour was better than him at anything. He may give some credit but I haven't ever heard him say something like that. Heck, Tiger has a hard enough time admitting Roger Federer is a better tennis player than he is

• Administrator
This was during the PGA, last year I believe, when Pelz said something to the effect that Mickelson was better from 150 yards in and when Mickelson was "on" nobody could beat him, or something along those lines. That you can google and find rather easily.

I remember the quote. And obviously that was Dave Pelz talking.

However, the Golf Channel stated that, when asked if Mickelson's short game, which is not the same as anything from 150 yards in, obviously, was better than Tiger's, Mr. Woods responded that it probably was.

Jeff and I talked about it on the podcast (I still doubt he said anyone was better), and we basically concluded that Phil was forced to be more imaginative because he had to. When do you see Tiger putting himself in the spots in which Phil finds himself? If Tiger misses, he can usually play a pretty simple, straightforward chip. Rarely does Tiger put himself in the position where he HAS to do a Philly Flop. Phil, heck, it's named after him because he finds himself in that position all the time.

So, if Tiger said Phil was "more imaginative" (and I still doubt it), it may not have been a true compliment. I don't know. If he had said something like this, my hunch is it would have shown up in print SOMEWHERE, given that it would be the first time ever.
I'm with Erik on this one. I can't imagine Tiger stating that Phil, or anyone for that matter on tour was better than him at anything. He may give some credit but I haven't ever heard him say something like that. Heck, Tiger has a hard enough time admitting Roger Federer is a better tennis player than he is

True dat!

Phil comes across as so much more genuine than Tiger does any day. I would want my kid to realize that golf is fun first and foremost and a guy who can walk around with a smile on his face beats a petulant pouter any day.

I have a few interviews with some of the Aussie golfers and they reckon Phil is just a facade for the TV and Journos. They have made it quite clear what they think of Phil.

They also say you couldn't meet a nicer guy than Tiger. He seems focused on the course but off is friendly, happy to have a chat and generally pleasant.

Note: This thread is 6231 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!