IGNORED

lead tape

Paradox
Note: This thread is 4421 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by joekelly

Umm, @mvmac, you wrote>  'If the ball takes off straight at the target, something that is not very useful, regardless of path, the face was aimed "straight" at impact.'

Don't you think going straight towards  the target is useful golf?  Now i am not talking about the first 3 inches of ball  flight, which we ordinarily  cannot see, but the continued flight away from the impact position.  I do know some top golfers have preferred always bending left or right but others, equally as good, seem to want to go straight ahead to the target.

And wasn't Greg Norman considered one of the greatest drivers of all time because of his superb ability to drive it long and straight?  So maybe you have something else in mind with your idea that 'straight golf ball flight is not useful'. Kindly enlighten me.  Thanks.

Quote:

Because if there is any curve on the ball, it is always curving away from the hole. It is more effective to aim right or left and curve towards the hole. Even if you under/overcurve the ball(moving towards the hole), it wouldn't be as far from the hole as it would if you started it at the flag.

Hey Joe, I agree with what Michael has said.  The majority of the time the ball has some curve bias to it, even Norman did.  No one on the PGA hits it straight, everyone has a pattern, a shot they hit 85-90% of the time, whether it's a fade, draw, whatever.  So if we have a pattern, we have to account for that when we set-up to our shots.

Originally Posted by Paradox

That statement isn't true.  Someone could hit a shot that starts online and curves but that curve could still end up closer than one that started off the target and curved towards it.  Theres nothing wrong with a dead straight ball if you can hit it.  The only problem people have is that it just about never happens.

A push-fade would be curving "away from the hole" but it isn't a bad shot.  A straight-draw or straight-fade is not a bad shot, either.

But why would you ever curve the ball away from the intended target?  The target doesn't have to do the flag.  Much more room for error when we start the ball left or right of the target and curve it back.  For example, lets say I'm trying to hit a 5 yard draw.   I would aim the face about 5 yards right of the target.  Assuming center contact and a decent strike, the ball starts right and curve to the hole, good shot.  If I hit a straight push, the ball starts 5 yards right and stays right, pin high right.  If I over curve it, ball starts 5 yards right and curves left of target, pin high or past the target but still within 10-15ft.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

my way of thinking was that there could be an instance of a push-fade moving "away" from the hole..not that a perfectly hit push fade would do so.  Really, though...my only point is that it doesn't make a difference whether you are hitting a push-draw, a pull-fade, or whatever shot..its no indicator of how close its gonna end up with regards to another type of shot.(assuming well struck shots of course)

MV, obviously you would never want to move the ball away from the hole or target in general terms.  I was only pointing out what I said just above...no one shot is absolutely going to end up "closer" than another..its all relative to how the ball has been hit.

IN the scenario Michael presented, though...There would be no difference in a straight ball that starts drawing off the target line and a draw that starts drawing past the target line.  They are both moving in the same direction.  Same with fades. Make more sense said that way?

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Originally Posted by Paradox

my way of thinking was that there could be an instance of a push-fade moving "away" from the hole..not that a perfectly hit push fade would do so.  Really, though...my only point is that it doesn't make a difference whether you are hitting a push-draw, a pull-fade, or whatever shot..its no indicator of how close its gonna end up with regards to another type of shot.(assuming well struck shots of course)

MV, obviously you would never want to move the ball away from the hole or target in general terms.  I was only pointing out what I said just above...no one shot is absolutely going to end up "closer" than another..its all relative to how the ball has been hit.

IN the scenario Michael presented, though...There would be no difference in a straight ball that starts drawing off the target line and a draw that starts drawing past the target line.  They are both moving in the same direction.  Same with fades. Make more sense said that way?

Yes I get what you saying, thanks for clarifying

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 months later...

I actually started using lead tape because I can't feel the weight of my club head on my R11s .

So I put 2 layers over the R11s logo and 1 more on the heel side to give it more of a draw bias while keeping neutral face.

I can't wait to try this out at the range.

Note: This thread is 4421 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!