IGNORED

World Series of Golf

hurley9192
Note: This thread is 6158 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Did anyone watch this over the weekend? It's essentially a poker type of stakes way to play. There is a certain order that you keep for every shot no matter who's farthest away and you bet on each shot.

It had Phil Ivey and a couple of other poker players and a couple golfers that made it to the finals. the best in the group was an 8 handicap and the worst was Ivey who was a 16. They played from different tees based on their ability. They all started with $120k and the antes started at $1200 and doubled every 3 holes. It's an interesting concept, but the golfers weren't that good. The guy who won was a 9 handicap who they let play from the Blue tees. The 8 had to play from the blacks, which gave a huge edge to the 9.

It was average tv, but an interesting concept.

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

I watched it when I was working at the pro shop, and I thought it was fairly interesting. Wish I would have been able to pay a little more attention to it!

Take care,
Ryan
ogio.gif Vision SS Bag:
cleveland.gif Launcher DST 10.5*  taylormade.gif R9 16.5* 4W
taylormade.gif Rescue Dual 19*  taylormade.gif Burner 2.0 4-PW
vokey.gif 250.08, Spin Milled 54.10, and 58.08
yesgolf.gif Callie  bridgestone.gif B330

I watched a little of it both Saturday and Sunday. Cool consept.

Did you understand how Phil Ivey won on the extra hole? I understand that if you have enough money after the 18th to cover the "ante" than you go into extra holes. Did the person he beat have just enough money for the ante and then lost the first playoff hole? I thought that Phil actually had less money than his opponent. (I must be mistaken about that though)
Drive for show, putt for dough

PutterKarsten Anser2
WedgesX-Forged 52* 58*IronsX-20 tours P-3HybridX 21 stiff4-wood R9 17 mitsubishi rayon fubuki StiffDriver R9 11.5 mitsubishi rayon fubuki Stiff

I watched a little of it both Saturday and Sunday. Cool concept.

Did you understand how Phil Ivey won on the extra hole? I understand that if you have enough money after the 18th to cover the "ante" than you go into extra holes. Did the person he beat have just enough money for the ante and then lost the first playoff hole? I thought that Phil actually had less money than his opponent. (I must be mistaken about that though)
Drive for show, putt for dough

PutterKarsten Anser2
WedgesX-Forged 52* 58*IronsX-20 tours P-3HybridX 21 stiff4-wood R9 17 mitsubishi rayon fubuki StiffDriver R9 11.5 mitsubishi rayon fubuki Stiff

I watched a little of it both Saturday and Sunday. Cool concept.

I actually only saw the one day where that Ewing guy from Newport Beach won on the 16th holes. It wouldn't work for Phil to win if he had less money because even if the guy goes all in, he would have enough to cover Phil and have some left over if he loses. Essentially, these matches could go forever because if you go all in and win the hole, you keep going. You have to go all in and lose before you get knocked out. Although, the antes grow so much, it would end pretty quickly. The antes on holes 16-18 are $38,400, so the extra playoff hole would be $76,800. They only start with $120k each.

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

I tuned in mid way through the Sunday round and found it mildly entertaining. I didn't like that the majority of the on screen action was the guy with the clipboard yelling out the bets. I like poker, I like on course betting, but the idea that you can fold on a hole seemed a little to made for TV. I would watch again though to see if it gets any better. If I had benn able to get the CBS feed where I was (campground in mid-Michigan w/ no sattelite) I would have been watching the PGA Tour instead.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Note: This thread is 6158 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!