IGNORED

Why aren't there more pro's with swings that resemble Fred Couple's?

fantum
Note: This thread is 3959 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There are so many faults with his swing that anyone trying to copy it but born with less talent will meet his golfing career suicide.

Where do I start? Strong left grip, cupped wrist at the top, upright swing. The credit I will give him was the ability to slot the swing back on plane during the downswing with good hip clearance preventing a block. I don't know how he managed to do it but he is one hell of a talent to win despite of all this. Maybe this was what made him so interesting to watch.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by rowlf

There are so many faults with his swing that anyone trying to copy it but born with less talent will meet his golfing career suicide.

I wouldn't call any of the things you listed "faults." He's got all 5 Simple Keys® most of the time, after all. ;)

Specifically, lots of great players have had a strong grip, lots have had a cupped wrist at the top (those two are usually compatible components, btw), and lots of players have an upright swing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think many golfers would benefit from picturing Freddy's tempo while they play.

I've used this little mental trick when my swing gets too fast - when I swing I mentally say to myself, "Fredddieeee (backswing)...Couples (followthough)" to slow my backswing down.

Originally Posted by iacas

I wouldn't call any of the things you listed "faults." He's got all 5 Simple Keys® most of the time, after all. ;)

Specifically, lots of great players have had a strong grip, lots have had a cupped wrist at the top (those two are usually compatible components, btw), and lots of players have an upright swing.

Agree, faults was too strong a word.

I practically copied Freddie's swing when I was in my 20s and I saw a coach who converted me from a hitter to a swinger. (Now I am going into my 40s). The swing uses the big muscles which logically, assures better repeatability.

In the end I could perfect the imperfection of a strong left grip, cupped wrist (resulting in overswinging). No problem with hitting low scores as the hip clearance would ensure none of the above became a problem. Remember in the 90s, Freddie was also shifting his weight left-right-left that were quite noticeable but not sure about it now.

Could I do a Freddie swing over 18 holes? No way, not with the lack of practise and no longer as fit. The demand on the back muscles were enormous with that kind of hip clearance. I would hook or pull the ball if my back tires. I would recommend a newcomer to copy his tempo but would ask the person to avoid other part of Freddie's swing.

They are not faults just wonderful features.

It is interesting that many good players with strong grips actually fade the ball.eg Azinger

They just ensure that whatever grip position they start with is maintained throughout the swing.

It is the swing path that determines the shape the ball travels  and with Fred i think is a slightly more upright (but shallows out brilliantly at the bottom) and slighlty across the line path (maybe becos of open stance) hence the high fade

In Freds case if u look at slow mo vids of his hands at and past impact that cuppy left wrist is consistenly there, all the way to the finish.

It also partly explains his flying RT elbow at the top - its there becos he maintains the cuppy left wrist.

Oddly i dont think his method is harder on the back than any other swing out there.

Sure the hips have to clear with any decent powerful swing!

There are many reasons other why someone has a bad back.

I think Freddie is of the same mold as Sam Snead - they both were just born that way, with those swings.

In fact, you could even make the case that their swings are very similar. Certainly the rhythm is.

• 4 weeks later...
Originally Posted by zipazoid

I think Freddie is of the same mold as Sam Snead - they both were just born that way, with those swings.

In fact, you could even make the case that their swings are very similar. Certainly the rhythm is.

I agree...Freddie's swing is not something that is learned.  It is something you either have or you don't.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

I've used this little mental trick when my swing gets too fast - when I swing I mentally say to myself, "Fredddieeee (backswing)...Couples (followthough)" to slow my backswing down.

Thank you Zipazoid - that works so good :)

For me its more like Fredddieeee (backswing).....Coup.....ples (followthough)

Note: This thread is 3959 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!