Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EarlP

Ping zing 2 or Tight lies

2 posts in this topic

I have a brand new set of 05 Tight lies and a good used set of ping zing 2 red dot irons, I am new to golf and was wondering what irons I should use, which ones are going to be the most forgiving. Thanks in advance for your input

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

One thing to consider would be shaft flex. A golf shop would check how the irons "fit you" for a small fee.

Are you taking lessons? If so, take along the 5 iron and 7 irons from each set and see which one plays better. For the Pings, the red dot indicated the irons are about 0.75 degrees flat in their lie angle. A pro could help you on this during lessons.

If both of the iron sets feel comfortable at set up, go with the one which "feels best" during the swing. Confidence in your clubs helps you develop your swing.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2016 TST Partners

GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
    • I still like this method.  It feels like I using my bottom hand as a "forehand" to the chip toward the apex and let the ball break downhill to the hole . Great for downhill chips  I find I can also open and close the wedge face with the same hand and make it easy to hit out of the sand with similar rhythm 
    • Placed a coaster on the carpet, and hit putts from five feet away until I hit the coaster 50 times. The few times I missed were to the right.
    • That's awesome - good stuff!  You must have been doing a little "scoreboard-checking" after that 30...no matter how hard you tried not to!
    • Tough practice session today.  It's hot out there (even at 8pm), and I'm tired from 36 holes of golf this weekend in 90-degree heat...and probably about 36 beers (not while golfing, but still). I'm sticking with the same practice template.  First half of the session focuses on backswing and downswing path; second half focuses on clubface control.  Every swing is on video and reviewed. I was a bad "stupid monkey" for about 5 swings at the beginning...I was thinking about the "short-arm" stuff above, and trying to work on it.  Based on the slow-mo video, I was actually able to get one REALLY good inline impact with the 6-iron by DRIVING my hands forward...but I made terribly fat contact.  After that swing I made myself stop and put it completely out of my head.  I didn't even take any more face-on video.  F-O-C-U-S is key right now. After that brief distraction, my swing path and backswing work went OK...I was getting a bit lazy on the backswing and not completing my turn on some swings, but I'm doing better at hitting my downswing positions.  Contact and ball flight with the irons is really good right now (relative to my skill level).  I was hitting mostly my "on-course" pushes, moving towards push-fades with the longer clubs, but with overall very solid contact and height.     I think my A4 is pretty good on this swing...full shoulder turn and good hip turn (not sure about hand/arm position, but that's not part of what I'm working on right now):   Club is in-line with the hands at A6 (that's good):   Impact (not checking anything here yet, but including for completeness).  I can tell I'm still "short-arming" it at impact, but I'm not worried about that yet:   Game Golf tag basically visible at A8 (that's good):   I'm also finally hitting my target positions with my driver, which represents progress.  Contact was pretty bad tonight (quite a few heel and toe strikes), so I just slowed it down to 75% with the driver and focused on path.  Hit some decent 200-yard baby-fades with that swing (also a bunch of my "on-course" pushes).   A4 here felt a bit abbreviated, but it looks OK on the video (feel was probably because it was not a full-speed swing):   Club is in-line with the hands at A6 (took me a damn month to be able to do this with the driver, but...it's getting more and more consistent):   Impact for completeness:   Good A8 here for the driver (again, I say "really good" only in terms of the swing path I've been working towards):   Overall, I think it was a good night of work on swing path, considering how I was feeling.   As for the clubface control drill: I really need to find a way to put something downrange (or start going to a different range to work on that piece).  Without a visual reference, the open/closed clubface positions are way too exaggerated.  I'm probably still working on the skill (the "twist"), but not as productively as I could be.  This might be the piece that prompts me to buy a small net for the backyard.   Summary / Next Steps I'm hoping to get one more practice session in this week before my trip to work with @iacas on Saturday.  Based on my slow progress to date, unless that session is some sort of cosmic breakthrough, I don't think I'm going to be ready to add any more drills or pieces to work on yet.  If I tried to add another swing thought on either the backswing or downswing, I'm pretty sure it'd mess up one of my current priorities.  Especially since I've only cracked the surface of the clubface control drill. We'll see.  I suppose if I were to focus on getting into a better position at A4, I could work that into the backswing drills I've been doing...or something similar.  
    • Definitely.  Possibly even slightly simpler with a chipper because it's already designed for that, likely more upright than a 9 iron etc. :)
  • TST Blog Entries

• Images

• Today's Birthdays

1. chriswuk
      chriswuk
      (25 years old)
    2. Gero
      Gero
      (73 years old)
    3. SUPGolfer
      SUPGolfer
      (46 years old)