IGNORED

Club Question!!

Note: This thread is 3914 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi guys,

Forgive me for my lack of knowledge when it comes to this stuff.

I have been golfing for a long time, however, only in the past year or so have I really started working on my game.

My father in law gave me some of his old clubs last year, and now, I am in a situation where I could probably afford some of my own.

The clubs he game me are Titleist  DCI 990. I know they are old, but I know also that they were not so bad back in the day. So, really my question is this... would new clubs (Price range around 500$) be better than these old clubs? Will I be able to tell a difference?

I am just a little better than a bogey golfer.

Hope that is enough information to go on!

thanks

Will you be buying a complete set? Irons, Drivers, woods, wedges? You can buy a complete set at dicks sporting goods for around $350.

What's in my bag: Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz Stage 2 Fariway wood:Taylormade Rocketballz Stage 2 Hybrid: Taylormade Rocketballz Stage 2 Irons: Taylormade Rocketballz HP Irons Wedge: Cleveland 588 Forged 56,60 Wedge Putter: Ping Wackey Putter

What kind of shafts do the DCIs have in them? Do they match your swing speed?

Club designer Ralph Maltby analyzed the DCI 990 irons, and gave them a Conventional rating (not that user-friendly).

If you hit the DCIs OK, you might do better by getting a new driver, fairway wood and hybrid. That's where the big technology gains have been recently. Then, you might try out different irons and maybe get them once your swing stabilizes more. You don't want to buy irons for yesterday's swing.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Zachari208

Those irons are fine.

Save your money.

I agree...

I play 1996 Callaway Big Berthas and they hit as well as any club out there.

In my opinion (I know I'll get grief) buying the latest, greatest super hi-tech clubs will do very little for the average golfer and only serve to line the pockets of the manufacturers.

If anything, have your swing speed analyzed and maybe have the clubs reshafted if necessary to match.

DCI 990's are a very highly rated club.

http://www.golfreview.com/cat/irons/titleist/dci-990/prd_61044_2940crx.aspx

http://www.golfproductnews.com/titleist-dci-990-review/

When first introduced in 1990 the MSRP on them was $880 (in 1990 dollars)

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place this world is when one is playing golf.  ~Robert Lynd

Callaway Big Bertha 460cc Driver

Big Bertha 3 Wood

Callaway 1996 Big Bertha 3-SW

Sam Snead Blue Ridge Sand Wedge

Ram Zebra Putter

Originally Posted by WUTiger

What kind of shafts do the DCIs have in them? Do they match your swing speed?

Club designer Ralph Maltby analyzed the DCI 990 irons, and gave them a Conventional rating (not that user-friendly).

If you hit the DCIs OK, you might do better by getting a new driver, fairway wood and hybrid. That's where the big technology gains have been recently. Then, you might try out different irons and maybe get them once your swing stabilizes more. You don't want to buy irons for yesterday's swing.

Sorry to highjack the thread by asking a question about myself but it is pretty similar issue to the OP.  I have played for a while but recently got serious about the game.  I have only ever played with my current set of irons which are Spalding Futuras that my Dad bought back in the 70s.  I think they are about 45 years old.  Would I have something to gain by upgrading them?  I am also feverishly working on changing my swing and I have seen a lot of people recommend fitting--should I wait on that for a while until I have gotten used to my swing changes?

I googled Futura irons, and came up with just two mentions: One person was selling a set - 3 through PW - for $65 , and the other link was someone talking about replacing them.

There's no real benefit to upgrading 45-year-old irons. Go with modern Super Game Improvement irons. Look at SGI irons from the Golf Digest Hot List issue from the last couple of years. (I keep getting bounce off the GolfD site).

You can get fitted while your swing is improving. If you have a 20 HDCP, your swing should be fairly stable. The fitting will let you know what you need for Driver, Fairway Woods, irons, wedges, etc. You don't have to buy everything at once.

And remember: the right shaft is half the club.

Also, if you work with a good golf shop, they can probably find you some good used clubs so you don't have to pay top $$ for everything.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3914 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!