IGNORED

Developed a random hook

Lash
Note: This thread is 3854 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've always struggled with a slice, and recently got my drives under control to where it's usually straight or a slight fade. Last time I drove the ball the best I ever have, but then I wasn't able to play for about 3 weeks.

I played last night, and in 9 holes I think I hit one shot straight. Everything else...drives...3 wood...hybrid....all irons....was going left. My shorts irons I really was just pulling left, but everything else was a strong hook, started off straight and then curved left a good 30 yards.

When I slice I know what I did to cause it and know how to fix it. I have no idea how to fix this hook. Now, it's just one round and it's possible I was just swinging weird, but I am worried I will do this again next time I play. I am going to go to the range this weekend and try to get it fixed.

I also haven't been to the gym in a few weeks, and went the night before I played. I felt stiff and uncomfortable the whole round, I wonder if it's just a matter of not rotating enough, and therefor pulling my club around rather than straight through the ball. I also felt uncomfortable with my grip and may have been rotating the club head, since the ball was coming off straight and the spin was the big problem.

Anyone struggled with a random hook like this before? What are the most common things to work on to fix a hook?

I've always struggled with a slice, and recently got my drives under control to where it's usually straight or a slight fade. Last time I drove the ball the best I ever have, but then I wasn't able to play for about 3 weeks.

I played last night, and in 9 holes I think I hit one shot straight. Everything else...drives...3 wood...hybrid....all irons....was going left. My shorts irons I really was just pulling left, but everything else was a strong hook, started off straight and then curved left a good 30 yards.

When I slice I know what I did to cause it and know how to fix it. I have no idea how to fix this hook. Now, it's just one round and it's possible I was just swinging weird, but I am worried I will do this again next time I play. I am going to go to the range this weekend and try to get it fixed.

I also haven't been to the gym in a few weeks, and went the night before I played. I felt stiff and uncomfortable the whole round, I wonder if it's just a matter of not rotating enough, and therefor pulling my club around rather than straight through the ball. I also felt uncomfortable with my grip and may have been rotating the club head, since the ball was coming off straight and the spin was the big problem.

Anyone struggled with a random hook like this before? What are the most common things to work on to fix a hook?

I was hooking my irons worse yesterday than my previous time out and I think this was a big part of the problem, flat shoulders.  I think I wasn't getting my left shoulder turned towards the ball enough during my backswing.

• 3 weeks later...

I think my problem was in my follow through. I think I was breaking my wrist and kind of twisting it to my left. I heard the analogy once of following through like you are throwing a bucket of water, and once I did that I hit my best drive of the night. Unfortunately it was the last hole...so now I need to get to the range and see if I can replicate it.

Note: This thread is 3854 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!