IGNORED

high school golf?

michaeldays
Note: This thread is 3741 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am currently a freshmen and am signing up for golf. I have been playing for a year and a half and am shooting about high eighties, low nineties. I am a 17.2 handicap. My school has never won any titles in mens golf (except once in like 1968). I just don't really know what to do or how it works. My team has 3 really good seniors and i would probably be the fourth man considering no one else golfs regularly like i do. I am curious as to how high school golf works and what experiences some of you have had with it.

I had a great time play high school golf. At my school the first week of practice you would play the course everyday. Your scores would set the teams. Both varsity and junior varsity. We would play a round the day before a tournament to give everyone a chance at improving their average. When at a tournament we would take 6 golfers. All the numbers 6's would play and so on. I graduated a handful of years ago but my advice would be to make the most out of your resources. Use your range time and practice time to get better. If you work harder than the other players you will improve

Camo pretty much summed it up, at least how it was for me. Your coach will establish a method to designate the order of your team, usually your average after several practice rounds. The player with the lowest average will be your #1, the next lowest will be your #2 and so on. Depending on how the tournaments/matches are ran in your state, your team will take the top 5 or 6 players to compete. 1's play against other 1's, 2's play against 2's, and that continues on down the line as Camo mentioned. At the end of the round, the best 4 rounds from each team are kept and totalled, with the lowest team total winning the match. It doesn't matter who posts which score on the team, they always keep the best 4. So say your #5 player posts the best score and your #2 posts the worst. #2's round gets thrown out and #5 gets kept.

Note: This thread is 3741 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!