IGNORED

Any Chromecast users here? Love this little gadget to death

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3565 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

@dsc123 - How will you use the CC when it can? Play video files saved on your smartphone? That sort of thing?

You can do that now.  If you go to your gallery and select a video or picture the chromecast button is on the top.  I've also bought a TV show in the play store and played it on the tablet, streamed it to the TV while reading threads here on TST.  The best part is that all I have to do is start the content and hit the stream button.  The TV switches to chromecast automatically.  It couldn't be an simpler.

One new thing would be to play content from the internet--HBOGO, MLB.TV, ESPN3, random videos embedded into websites, etc, from my tablet.  You might be able to do some of those through the apps, but if not, now you can via mirroring.  I've wanted to play videos from deadspin or whatever and not been able to since they weren't on youtube and it wasn't important enough to go get my computer.

I also skype with family so they can see my babies and it would be nice to mirror that onto the television.  I could do that with my laptop and an HDMI but I find it much easier to use my phone camera.

I can't think of many more specific uses, but basically mirroring would mean no restrictions--if you can get it on the phone you can get it on the TV.  The only downside would be that mirroring probably takes control of the device.  So the functionality within particular apps would still be useful to let you do other things while streaming.  But mirroring lets you stream with apps that might not have that functionality built in.

MLB.TV will be big for me because I'm a Yankee fan in DC.  In the past I've hooked my wife's iPad or my computer to the TV but that required wires.  I'd probably stop paying for HBO and use a friend's HBOGO account.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You can do that now.  If you go to your gallery and select a video or picture the chromecast button is on the top.  I've also bought a TV show in the play store and played it on the tablet, streamed it to the TV while reading threads here on TST.  The best part is that all I have to do is start the content and hit the stream button.  The TV switches to chromecast automatically.  It couldn't be an simpler.

One new thing would be to play content from the internet--HBOGO, MLB.TV, ESPN3, random videos embedded into websites, etc, from my tablet.  You might be able to do some of those through the apps, but if not, now you can via mirroring.  I've wanted to play videos from deadspin or whatever and not been able to since they weren't on youtube and it wasn't important enough to go get my computer.

I also skype with family so they can see my babies and it would be nice to mirror that onto the television.  I could do that with my laptop and an HDMI but I find it much easier to use my phone camera.

I can't think of many more specific uses, but basically mirroring would mean no restrictions--if you can get it on the phone you can get it on the TV.  The only downside would be that mirroring probably takes control of the device.  So the functionality within particular apps would still be useful to let you do other things while streaming.  But mirroring lets you stream with apps that might not have that functionality built in.

MLB.TV will be big for me because I'm a Yankee fan in DC.  In the past I've hooked my wife's iPad or my computer to the TV but that required wires.  I'd probably stop paying for HBO and use a friend's HBOGO account.

Ah, I use my CC mostly with an iPhone, so the only way I can play video files I own is to upload them to Real Player Cloud and cast from the real Player app. I'll have to load some videos into my Nexus 7 and see if I can cast them.

I cast HBO shows from the iOS HBOGO app, same as Hulu and Netflix. While you use Deadspin, I'd like to cast videos from DailyMotion and I read that the DailyMotion app is slated to be castable I would guess if Deadspin has an app it will to.

Skype or such has to be slated for casting, that's gotta be in high demand.

Isn't there an HBOGO app on the Google Play store? That app should have the cast button.

Reading what other people want to do seems like so many possibilities, cast from your phone to a tablet, games, etc...

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

You're right, the hbogo app works. I think that's relatively new. It doesn't look Like they have mlb.tv yet, but I think mlb puts out a new app each year. When it mirrors you'll be able to play those daily motion videos.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

• 5 months later...

I'm thinking about reworking my home media.  I've thought about repurposing an old PC to act as a server with music, photos, video, backup data etc., all set up to stream to my TV's, and if possible, to stream music to different rooms in the house.

This got me thinking about chromecast again and it turns out that since February, they've added a couple cool features.  You can now mirror your android device to the TV (no longer app specific), and they added MLB.tv .  I guess specific apps still stream, and probably do it cleaner, but now you can get anything onto the TV.  I noticed this morning that the Play Music app--which I use for music streaming on my phone--can also be cast.  So basically, my phone/tablet and TV can be completely integrated, and from my initial research, I think Plex can bring my computer into it.

All for about $30 per tv.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

I'm thinking about reworking my home media.  I've thought about repurposing an old PC to act as a server with music, photos, video, backup data etc., all set up to stream to my TV's, and if possible, to stream music to different rooms in the house.

This got me thinking about chromecast again and it turns out that since February, they've added a couple cool features.  You can now mirror your android device to the TV (no longer app specific), and they added MLB.tv.  I guess specific apps still stream, and probably do it cleaner, but now you can get anything onto the TV.  I noticed this morning that the Play Music app--which I use for music streaming on my phone--can also be cast.  So basically, my phone/tablet and TV can be completely integrated, and from my initial research, I think Plex can bring my computer into it.

All for about $30 per tv.

Note that this only works for specific devices, I have a 2012 Nexus 7 and the option isn't there. I read that some apps were dodgy when trying to stream, but it's a new feature. I'm a little less enthused about the Chromecast as it was terrible in streaming the World Cup, but that's more ESPN's fault and it does stall quite often.

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6059461?hl=en

Supported Android Devices

Nexus 4

Nexus 5

Nexus 7 (2013)

Nexus 10

Samsung Galaxy S4

Samsung Galaxy S4 (Google Play Edition)

Samsung Galaxy S5

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Samsung Galaxy Note 10

HTC One M7

HTC One M7 (Google Play Edition)

LG G3

LG G2

LG G Pro 2

Support for additional devices coming soon

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note that this only works for specific devices, I have a 2012 Nexus 7 and the option isn't there. I read that some apps were dodgy when trying to stream, but it's a new feature.

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6059461?hl=en

Supported Android Devices

Nexus 4

Nexus 5

Nexus 7 (2013)

Nexus 10

Samsung Galaxy S4

Samsung Galaxy S4 (Google Play Edition)

Samsung Galaxy S5

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Samsung Galaxy Note 10

HTC One M7

HTC One M7 (Google Play Edition)

LG G3

LG G2

LG G Pro 2

Support for additional devices coming soon

Yeah, it just came out last week.  I think it takes some time for the devices to catch up.  Either way, I've got an S4 and a Note 10, so I'm set!

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Yeah, it just came out last week.  I think it takes some time for the devices to catch up.  Either way, I've got an S4 and a Note 10, so I'm set!

I don't use Plex, but it's got lots of people singing its praises. One day I might try it out.

Steve

I don't use Plex, but it's got lots of people singing its praises. One day I might try it out.

Noticed the Plex Android/iOS apps are on sale.

Steve

Noticed the Plex Android/iOS apps are on sale.

yep, i just downloaded it ;-)

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

yep, i just downloaded it

Actually, I just installed the server on my Mac and the app on iOS. The server had problems recognizing some of my tv shows, which is easily addressable but I can't believe how easy that was. Streaming videos, music and photos to mobile devices was a snap, just select and play. Should have done this a long time ago.

Steve

Actually, I just installed the server on my Mac and the app on iOS. The server had problems recognizing some of my tv shows, which is easily addressable but I can't believe how easy that was. Streaming videos, music and photos to mobile devices was a snap, just select and play. Should have done this a long time ago.

Very cool!  I am excited to try it.  We got new computers at work and I'm thinking about repurposing one of the old ones to serve as a media center.  I want to cut the cord and a simple solution like this could help convince the wife.

Have you streamed to your TV?

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Very cool!  I am excited to try it.  We got new computers at work and I'm thinking about repurposing one of the old ones to serve as a media center.  I want to cut the cord and a simple solution like this could help convince the wife.

Have you streamed to your TV?

Not yet, but should be just tap on the cast icon in the app and voila.

Steve

Note: This thread is 3565 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!