IGNORED

Golf is a funny game

Heathbeef
Note: This thread is 6101 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just thought I would share a quick story from today's golfing game. A little back story. I started playing golf my senior year (1998) at a small high school in Texas. I never played golf, but played football, baseball, basketball, and track in high school and they needed one more on the golf team. So I signed up to play and went out and bought some clubs. I was able to get my golf game in the low 90s in tournament play with just about 15 rounds into my golf.

Fast forward to the District Golf tournament. It was played at Greenbier Country Club in Moody, Tx. This place is known for being an open, easy course but never in good shape. It is truly a pasture golf course. I felt that my game was good going into the two day, 36 hole tournament. Well I blew up and shot 104. I was ticked and it put us in 3rd place (Top 2 move on). Ended up shooting an 83 the second round with a bridie on 18 to send my team to regionals. That is a story for another day. Every since that day I have wanted to go back to Greenbier and get my revenge.

I only played about 3 rounds a year while in college and got back into it the last couple of years. Right now my game has been in the 90-95 range, but I feel I am a lot better golfer (I guess we all do). I have been struggling off the tee box real bad. I mean not be able to hit it 100 yards. Well the last few rounds I have gotten the driver figured out and playing well. Today I went back to Greenbier with two of my golfing buddies. I knew I was going to smoke this course.

#1 was a 378 par 4 downhill. Easy hole. I crushed a drive, hit a 25 yard chip, lipped out my birdie put and took a par. I thought it was game on. Well I shot a 100 on the day. I beat my 104, but I was mad. I told my golfing buddies we are going again. They shot 92, 93 which was a little on the bad side for them. We started off the second 18 of the day and I started to mash the ball and everything was on. I had two triples on the second 18 of the day and shot an 81. This was the best round I have ever played and I did it with two triples. My buddies played well, but I beat them by 1 and 2 strokes respesctively on the 36 hole total. I sure was smiling on the way home. Golf is a funny game.

That is very odd, but i gues the second time around you knew how to play each hole. Good job with the low score there. I never have had that drastic score change before.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

That is very odd, but i gues the second time around you knew how to play each hole. Good job with the low score there. I never have had that drastic score change before.

I guess you've never seen me play then.

But yeah, golf is a weird game. I've heard people say they shot terrible, but posted a good score, and vice versa, or they went all over the place and got big numbers and went low and everything in between. It's golf. What can I say?
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I do find it odd, but I feel that I have the game to shoot in the low 80s if not lower. My short game is really, really good. Now that I have my driver working my scores should drop. My last round before the 100 and 81 today was a solid 88. The first round I also played with a new putter for about 5 holes to I switched back to my trusty Wal-Mart Ray Cook I have had since 1998. Playing the course for the second time really helped as well as far as where I wanted to put the ball on the green for my putts and what to hit on the par 3s.

In tournnament play the other weekend i posted a horrible 99 and i felt so emberassed, i went to play another 9 to get my spirits up and i shoot a 3 over 39 on the front? It makes me almost feel like i cheat when i dont play in tournaments, which i honestly dont. I just guess i got releived of all the pressure.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

In tournnament play the other weekend i posted a horrible 99 and i felt so emberassed, i went to play another 9 to get my spirits up and i shoot a 3 over 39 on the front? It makes me almost feel like i cheat when i dont play in tournaments, which i honestly dont. I just guess i got releived of all the pressure.

same here. i always shoot high 80's or low 90's in tourney's but i can shoot low 80's out tourneys..although one tournament i shot 86 but sitll you get my point lol.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

what's really funny is the fact that greenbriar used to be my home club. As a matter of fact, I graduated from Moody High School in 2004. It tripped me out when I read your post and found out other people had actually played there! It's a small world.

Our team won district 3 consecutive years. We had a team score of 311 there one year (not bad for 2A golf in Texas). Personal best was only a 79, but that's not too bad. It really is a pasture course. I went back to seek my revenge on it a few weeks ago as well. I managed to shoot 40 on the front, but the last 4 holes blew me up. I was at 6 over going into 15 and ended up shooting 85. It was a little bit of a disaster. But anyway, just wanted to comment on my home course. It's cool to know there are other 2A golfers from Texas around this forum.
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

Note: This thread is 6101 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!