IGNORED

The Rules--Adjustable Drivers & 4.2.a

Ole_Tom_Morris
Note: This thread is 6885 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Changing the characteristics of an adjustible driver during a round seems a clear violation of Rule 4.2.a.
My question: are players with the new drivers often violating this rule in ordinary play, and if they do, what is the best way of dealing with it?

Carry Bag, experimental mix-- 9* Integra 320, TT X100 Gold shaft
MacGregor Tourney 2-iron circa 1979

High grass club: #5 Ginty
Irons: 3,4,8,9 Cleveland 588P RTG Proforce 95 Gold shafts
Hogan fifty-three Hogan 5612

Ping Kushin

Changing the characteristics of an adjustible driver during a round seems a clear violation of Rule 4.2.a.

It is a violation. Even the documentation that comes with the r7 says that. I've yet to see someone change it during a round. I'm sure there are people that do but I don't care if they are not holding up the round or if money isn't involved.

TaylorMade r7 Quad Driver 9.5 Neutral Stiff
TaylorMade r5 Dual 3 Fairway Wood Neutral Stiff
TaylorMade RAC OS Graphite Stiff
TaylorMade RAC Black Wedges 52, 56, 60 degrees
TaylorMade TPA VII PutterMaxfli Black MaxHome Course

Is the adjustability really intended for frequent use like that anyway? I thought the idea was just to tune it to your swing and change it only if your swing changes. I would think that good players would not want to make changes during a round even if they could. How do you know the adjustment is going to do exactly what you expect it to?

You can adjust it for trajectory. If it's a windy day, you can raise or lower it depending on wind direction. It's illegal but you can do it.

• Administrator
You can adjust it for trajectory. If it's a windy day, you can raise or lower it depending on wind direction. It's illegal but you can do it.

I've never seen anyone change them during the round. On the practice tee I've seen people tinkering, but most people leave them as they are from round to round. One person I know changes his depending on playing conditions.

I think the weights really serve very little purpose other than acting as another excuse.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think the weights really serve very little purpose other than acting as another excuse.

I agree. Just walk into any second hand club store. They're full of excuses.

I agree. Just walk into any second hand club store. They're full of excuses.

My garage is full of excuses. Anybody need any? Kidding. I have become very tight with the guys at 2nd Swing.

Honestly though, I have used the same irons for 5-6 years and I just replaced my Nike driver this year after 3 seasons in the bag. My putter was with me for 11 years. That's actually longer than my oldest kid.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Note: This thread is 6885 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!