IGNORED

My year in Review

marto97
Note: This thread is 6009 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Although I fell short of the goals I set for myself this season I have to say it was a good year anyway. My playing partners were awesome for the most part, really only a couple of incidents all season and that’s pretty good seeing as how we played 56 rounds of golf together! They are a great bunch of guys.

I started the year at an 8 handicap and finished up at a 7. This is not bad but its 2 strokes away from the goal I set of 5. But when I look at it, at one point during the year my cap was up to an 11 until things came around. We joked about it being spring training, but it sure lasted a long time.

Greens in reg. Was not good this season, I finished the year at 49%. It’s about 6% lower than last season. This was definitely a sore spot that needs to be improved on if I’m going to get my cap down lower.

Putts per green were respectable at 32.5 but I had too many 3 putts early in the year. I changed to a new Odyssey SRT 2 ball in June and started to putt much better. At one point near the end of the season I didn’t have a 3 putt for 5 rounds.

Scrambling was another sore spot, I was only 35% in up and downs. This is definitely an area that needs work next season.

Driving accuracy was respectable at 53% but should be better. On Oct. 5Th I purchase a new Titleist 907 D2 driver and I just love it and wish I had it at the start of the year, but who can justify $600.00 for 1 club. I found it at the end of the season when they were getting rid of this year’s stock, what a good buy. $320.00. Over my last 5 rounds using it I was 64% in fairways hit. Next season should be awesome.

Diving distance has never been a problem for me I averaged 283 yards with my R7 quad. After purchasing the Titleist I was averaging 295 yards. Another thing to look forward to next season and just in case you want to know how I know my driving distance it’s because I have been using a golf GPS system for the past 3 years. If you don’t have one you’re at a disadvantage.

Sand saves this season were a real surprise, at the being of the year it was pretty much the same old routine. I would maybe save 1 out of 5. Then I got a new 60* Cleveland CG12 with only 4* bounce. After I started using it out of the sand I started getting it up and down almost every time. I finished the year with a save percentage of 68. This was the real bright spot for my season.

I only played in 1 tournament this year which is not what I had planned but it just worked out that way. It was our men’s amateur. I ended up being in the first flight playing against guys with caps from scratch to 8. I was at an 8 at the time; I didn’t have much of a chance at the low gross but did manage a low net prize. I won 6th low net; there were 6 low gross and 6 low net prizes for each flight. I played really well with the exception of 3 holes over the 2 day event. I shot 81 on both days which was only 1 shot over my cap (respectable). I had trouble on #1, 2, 3, on those 3 holes I was 11 over par in 2 days. They just killed me, and yes it was all in my head. My mental game was out of whack for sure.

Well that about raps it up for me. I can’t wait until next season. I have purchased a membership at a place called Urban Golf links. They have an indoor practise range equipped with video camera and laser launch monitors, it’s so cool. They have 6 stalls set up like this. I plan on getting a head start on next season.

How was your season?

Engineer, by chance?

Driver: Sumo2 5900 10.5*
3+ Utility: 3DX Utility 13.5*
Hybrids: 4DX 18.5*
Irons: MP-30 3-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM54.10 & SM60.04Putter: T.P. Mills StudioBall: GamerBag: Warbird Stand

Its a hard year too describe as a success for me, this year could of and maybe should of been a real break through year, it wasn't quite the year i hoped for, how ever i feel that i have learnt a lot more through failure this year than i would of from winning everything, as losing is very humbling

in terms of experience, in this years club champs i came third which was 36 holes in one day, think i shot 5 over 8 over which giving the format were respectable scores (taking in to account its on a very hard course) and even though i wouldn't of won it unless i shot 3 under on the second 18, i came through the 27th hole i thought i was in the lead, and i then proceeded to drop 6 shots in 9 holes, so a complete disaster really.

my second big learning experience was the Royal Worcester Bowl which is a 36 hole event played over 2 days with a half way cut, i played very poorly that weekend but grinded out scores of 7 over, 7 over to again come third in difficult conditions, from this i learnt how to score when your hitting the ball every where, after 36 holes i felt a sense of achievement as going in to the 2 rounds i could have easily shot 10 - 12 over.

my third main learning experience was the county order of merit, where i came 43 out of 200 +, i was VERY disappointed with this but i knew there was nothing i could do now so i thought about it and realised that every shot counts, i can put down not being in the top 40 down to one hole, if i can go in to next year putting 100% in to every shot and every round then i can have a good chance and top 15, which is my goal.

over all this year has been a year of nearly but not quite achievements, i have improved a lot and learnt a LOT about the game, i will be working on a few mental things over winter and be doing a lot of exercise to get myself in to shape, hopefully with this year as a building block next year can be really successful.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

• 2 weeks later...
My year was fantastic, I now have a great playing partner, he has been great company and improved my golf game, I shot my best round of golf, I playing my best golf, I have many things to be thankful for.

My wife and two kids, friends and family, life is good, golf will be better in 08!

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

My company downsized this year and I was a casualty. I was offered a great severance package and took advantage of the opportunity to play a ton of golf. IT WAS A GREAT YEAR!

I played with some really good golfers, I practiced almost every weekday and picked up some great tips. Thank you to those that have helped me.

As for my game, that improved due to a couple of things: Practice and more practice, getting properly fitted and learning to overcome the UGLY aspects of my game.

I still have plenty of work to do. Hopefully, I can shave a few more strokes off my game. It seems that everytime I look at my Golf Log, there are two or three holes that contain a double bogey or worse (Is that water?). I'm going to work this winter on overcoming that.

The goal for 2008 is to break 80. For those of you that have done so, how great was that feeling?

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Note: This thread is 6009 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!