IGNORED

A buddy wants to pick up the game

lamebums
Note: This thread is 5990 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The title is self-explanatory, sort of. However, what do you all think is the right way to get someone else into it?

Just really asking, because the last buddy I tried to help get into the game is a total hack with a hopelessly ingrained swing that looks worse than an unfolded lawn chair and can't break 150. He still plays but loses 3-4 balls per hole , and...well, I'm getting more and more reluctant to supply the guy with balls. And it's 18 holes of (addicting) but pure frustration.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

The title is self-explanatory, sort of. However, what do you all think is the right way to get someone else into it?

Get lessons and get fit for proper equipment

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Take him to the driving range a bit before he goes out and plays. He should make sure his equipment fits and gets lessons -- he'll save money overall, if he's going through that many balls. And please tell me he isn't playing NXTs?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Driving range, lessons, and not keeping score. Good luck on your crusade my friend

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

I might have to clarify a bit: The first buddy, who I showed about three years ago, is the one who loses three or four balls per hole. We don't keep anything even resembling an honest score when he's playing because I honestly doubt we could fit his score into the little squares. He doesn't buy his own balls - so he, for a while, got my shags. Now he's getting what's left of my nasty, dirty old range balls, scuff balls, and anything that I didn't even want in my shag bag. And that's about to run out at any rate, so next year he's on his own...

The second buddy, who was at the range today - I actually caught a lucky break - the range pro was there at the time and saved me three hours of (futile) attempted lesson-teaching, something which the pro helped solve in about five minutes.

It's....interesting, to say the least, to watch the guy swing. Especially since his ex (who he now hates) played varsity in high school and shot in the high 60's... heh, that would be quite a contrast.

2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

It's....interesting, to say the least, to watch the guy swing. Especially since his ex (who he now hates) played varsity in high school and shot in the high 60's... heh, that would be quite a contrast.[/QUOTE]

In fact, I think his ex lives in So Cal...

And he says he's going to upload a video of him swinging to YouTube and send it to her...

Your first pupil, the one who loses 3 ball on every hole, must truly love the sport (but maybe not so much when he must find or buy his own rocks.)

He must play with an unbridled joy of sport. In my mind, I'm reminded of the Friends ' character, Phoebe, who jogged in an utterly ungainly fashion but loved it so.

• 2 weeks later...

for god sakes get the next guy someone who has a little patience and someone who isn't a ....... ah never mind,

for god sakes get the next guy someone who has a little patience and someone who isn't a ....... ah never mind,

Actually, the second guy is doing a lot better. A few five-minute quickies from a couple pro's helped the guy out immensely. The last time we went up to a Golf Galaxy, he was hitting a low draw about 160 yards with a drive. Not bad for only beating the ball around for only a week or so.

Note: This thread is 5990 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!