IGNORED

Only the driver is slicing - HELP!

Note: This thread is 6212 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Gentlemen:
Please help! Played on Saturday and my driver is slicing on occasion, and firing straight as an arrow other times. Usually I'm a straight driver...what the heck is happening? Losing distance, and ripping it with a terrible left-to-right flight.

Going to the range tomorrow...any swing thoughts for me???

RA

In my bag...
DRIVER: TaylorMade R5, 9.5
HYBRID: Halo 2i
IRONS: FTX
WEDGES: 52, 56, Izett 60PUTTER: Cameron Circa 62 #3

Newtown? NICE - live in Yardley...5 miles away. I miss Goodnoe's...

In my bag...

Newtown? NICE - live in Yardley...5 miles away. I miss Goodnoe's...

Hahaha, same here man. The service wasn't all that great there, but they made the best Eggs Benedict for breakfast. No clue what they're gonna put up there now. I heard a Wawa, but I'm not sure.

If you are hitting a slice then the club face must be open when you are hitting the ball (but I guess you know that?). Either you are not releasing the club properly so that the club face is left open, or, you are letting your shoulders get ahead of your arms so that you are swinging out to in, cutting across the ball.

If the ball goes left first and then fades right you are swinging out to in and cutting across the ball. If the ball goes straight and then fades right its a problem with your release.

To sort an out to in swing, start your downswing by letting the club fall into the slot slightly before you begin uncoiling your body. Giving your arms a slight head start increases the probability that you'll swing in to out towards the ball.

If its a release problem you need to focus on really whipping the club through during release so that you don't leave the face open.

Taylormade r7 460
Callaway X 3 Wood
Callaway X 5 Wood
Callaway X 7 Wood
Callaway X Hybrid (24*)TaylorMade r7 Irons (5-PW)Mizuno MP-R Series Wedges (52,58 degrees)Ping G2 Anser Putter

The first thing I always check is my alignment especially if I am hitting it straight most of the time.
Usually when the tee box is at a weird angle I tend to open up my stance which of course will lead to a slice. I have my shoulders aiming one way and my thighs and feet pointing another.

That would be the first place I would check.

Keep it on the short grass.

The ball is starting off straight and then veering heavily to the right. I think I'm casting and releasing early, and then pulling a dead driver through the ball with an open face. THANK YOU for the swing thoughts...going to sneak out at lunch today and hit the range to sort this out. Tournament on Sunday...don't want to be banging the hybrid off the tees all day...

In my bag...

From a clubmaker point of view, here is a possible suggestion.

You will have to experiment with this change to see if it works for you. Remember, we are all unique and what works for one will not work for another.

The driver, being the longest club in the bag is the hardest to control. Sometimes it's the inability to close the face to square at impact and/or feel comfortable doing an inside to out swing.

If the driver is off the shelf, then it simply may not be the best fit for you.

But try this: get some lead tape. Wrap a whole bunch of it around the very end of the butt end of the handle. You will have to experiment with how much. Then try swinging your driver on the range. This counterbalance may help you feel the handle and as a result help you feel in an inside to out swing and close the face at impact. And many times it will produce more solid and consistent shots. If it does help, then find a clubmaker who can add the weight inside the butt end.

This is what club fitting is all about...finding what works and fits the player.

Hope this helps!

Rick
Columbus, Ohio
www.GolfClubPlayability.com

To sort an out to in swing, start your downswing by letting the club fall into the slot slightly before you begin uncoiling your body. Giving your arms a slight head start increases the probability that you'll swing in to out towards the ball.

I often have a similar problem. If I start missing drives, I push it right. Big Don's suggestion above is one of my swing thoughts when it starts happening. Another thing I also do sometimes is over-emphasize an in to out swing path during a few easy practice swings before hitting a drive. That is, I'll take the club back very upright, then let my arms loop back and fall into the slot to swing through VERY inside out. Seems like when I go back to my normal swing, my muscles retain just enough memory to straighten it out or even hit a little draw.

THANKS for your thoughts - really big help. Went to the range yesterday and still was hitting the fade. I did something that I may regret to fix it...changed my swing for ONLY my driver. WIDER stance...ball more centered at address...full turn with left shoulder under my chin on the backswing...and now I'm hitting it far and straight again. HOWEVER...this is a MUCH more aggressive swing that I like to take and my back will probably be in traction by Sunday night...

In my bag...

Note: This thread is 6212 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!