IGNORED

So Does Anyone Know Who This Pat Simmons Is?

ASUslacker
Note: This thread is 1095 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I got to sneak in 18 today. It was last second so I went solo.
Got put with an older couple and a 77 year old man.

I just thought well hopefully he doesn't slow us down too much.
1st tee he crushes it about 270ish

Talked to him and found out he played on the tour for thirty years, and was starting up his own club company. Cool thing was when he talked about playing with Palmer and Gary Player. Even gave me a few pointers and talked about a kid in England named Hawk who he said had the best swing he has ever seen.

Pat Simmons is now the most famous person I have played golf with.

• Like 1

What's in my sweet Sun Mountain Bag
Driver: 10.5 SuperQuad
3-Wood: Burner
5-Wood: G10
Hybrids: 23 26 Gold Pro Irons: Slingshot 6-A Wedge: 54 & 58 Scratch  Putter: White Ice #1 Gotta have balls: Vapor

Didn't he start the Tiger Shark golf company? Seems like I remember seeing ads for them in Golf Digest in the 1980's

apex53
In my bag:
Titleist 913D3 9.5
Titleist 913F 15

Titleist 913H 19, 913H21

Titleist 712CB 5-P Titleist Vokey 54, 58 Scotty Cameron Fastback Titleist ProV1x

Yea, he said he sold it in 86, if I can remember correctly.

I still can't get over how good this guy still was, all with a new hip.

What's in my sweet Sun Mountain Bag
Driver: 10.5 SuperQuad
3-Wood: Burner
5-Wood: G10
Hybrids: 23 26 Gold Pro Irons: Slingshot 6-A Wedge: 54 & 58 Scratch  Putter: White Ice #1 Gotta have balls: Vapor

man tiger sharks were my first set of clubs, bought for like 150$ a whole set

now i realise just how bad of clubs they were...

• 9 years later...

I found a sandwedge designed by Pat Simmons about ten years ago: Alien. 

Intended to make it easy to get out of  '' the sand trap '' .

(Even in 2018 companies claim innovative wedges, based on the same principles.)  

Later I discovered that ''Tiger Shark'' had sold beautiful, sometimes strange looking, sets of clubs. 

Today I couldn't resist to buy a half set (3,5,7,9,P,S). I will try them later. 

tig101sho.jpg.d6a303de5a08e4603b9752a10353b1b7.jpg

After looking at the Shark club pictures, I remember giving the local course pro a complete set (3-SW) of them last year when I cleaned out a store room. 

I remember buying them in St George, UT at a second hand store.There was an Alien SW in the set, which I wanted to try out. $20 (?) maybe, bag included.

Never used the irons, and the Alien Wedge was definitely from another planet. Tried it enough to be glad I only spent a few dollars for it. Turned out be a fabulous dust collector. 

Small world this many years later.

Pretty sure Pat Simmons is on You Tube. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

He did some pretty good stuff with the Doobie Brothers as well.  Not many guys are so adept at finding a place for an acoustic in what is, essentially, a rock band vibe.

• Like 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 year later...

I worked for Pat Simmons during the 1973 1974 time frame when the name of his company was the Pat Simmons Golf Company. Name changed to Simmons International Corporation late 1973. Company location was in Torrance, CA. Pat Simmons clubs at that time were the Honeycomb Power Cell, Excalibur and Golf Tech Crown. I remember that Tommy Jacobs (PGA Tour Pro) was also affiliated with the company. Pat was a great guy. A  great golfer. Also a great pilot (Beechcraft Duke). 

• iacas changed the title to So Does Anyone Know Who This Pat Simmons Is?
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Note: This thread is 1095 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!