Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

More bounce on irons

4 posts in this topic

Im a 2 hcp player and am currently using the callaway razr forged irons:

My problem is that I tend to hit it quite fat and when trying clubs with more bounce I tend to hit the sweet spot more often.

I have been looking at the ap2 and also even the ap1s. Which other clubs would you suggest for a 2 hcp player that wants more bounce in his irons.

Also, do you think bounce could be part of the problem in my case? The razr forged have really thin soles.

thanks alot,

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

So are you saying you don't like the thin sole on the bottom of the irons because it digs a bit in the turf, magnifying shots that you hit fat? Or do you just hit a lot of shots fat, which makes the previous problem a real kick in the pants? One thing to keep in mind is that, if you're testing the other irons on a mat for a simulator, mats will hide fat shots really well at a golf shop. Just because you hit it better at a shop from their mats doesn't mean it will translate into on-course results unless you test it head to head with your current irons and still find it better.

Thanks for the reply. I dont hit fat shots often but I do hit them more often with these irons than with my previous higher bounce sole bertha irons. Im a bit of a digger with the irons so I think have a sharp sole doesnt benefit me much.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• Winning a major vs winning a gold medal
      Absolutely no. Not in golf. Even though you have much more chances to win a major (as in 4 times a year vs once in 4 years), the field in a major is stronger and winning it holds more value in my book .In a lot of other sports with a big olympic history the Olympics are the biggest achievments and prizes and most important in a athlete's career. Golf doesn't have that history. Spieth already won majors, so I can imagine that at this moment he wants to win the Olympics at all. Personally I might even prefer to win a WGC or The Players before the Olympics.
    • Darrell Klassen
      ok, this is my view on darrell so obviously you should all listen. i was once an inner Circle Member just for a month. what he teaches is absolute truth to a "degree". what i mean by that is , he is probably the greatest teacher for all those golfers that have his same flexibility. ok, you can look at his physique and ask yourself- what flexibility. he has the "born" flexibility' to turn his shoulders freely. i am only guessing at percentages, but i would say that  most golfers here are actually  blessed with natural flexibility, but sadly  just lacking a bit of flexibility between the ears. that said, i hope a lot of you will revert to his teaching method . you must remember that i am only here to see the game progress, regardless of my own obvious, physical  shortcomings.      
    • Static Fitting vs Dynamic Fitting (wow what a difference)
      Hey TST Universe, So last weekend I took a pilgrimage down to a fitter to see what I really needed for my game (first time I've ever done this)... I was a little scared at first, because you don't want to be forking over your hard earned money for what you don't know. I did a full bag fit, but didn't want to spend like $1500 I don't have on new clubs... So I just purchased fitted wedges. I'm 6'5" 28 years old and I have long arms but short legs for my heighy (long torso)...  Anyway my static fit is for irons and wedges, midsize Grips, +1" and 2° upright...  We started with a 6-iron to that specification and I was struggling with it. So after some work with the impact tape and the lie tape, we actually found that 2° upright was marginally too much. So he gave me another 6-iron std length and 1° upright... I had to reach for them a bit, but was hitting them slightly better. After a lot of fiddling around with launch numbers, and strikes, he gave me a 6-iron 1° upright and ½" longer than standard... And started catching the meat if the club more often...  I didn't pay a dime of my own money for the fitting (I had a gift certificate, that a friend got me)... I picked up a couple TGS wedges for $35 a piece to those specs and I'm in the process of having my irons adjusted to those specs... (All three sets... V-Blades, CU, and E8)... My question is: Has anyone else had an experience like this where their static fitting and dynamic fittings had completely different results? Mine weren't that odd, but surprising.  
    • mythbuster's Neutral Setup Makes the Swing Automatic Thread
      there is one problem in golf that seems to elude most. at least you understand what the word "feel' actually means, which you should be applauded for, as you posted against "the grain". in a typical backswing manoeuvre, that is implemented correctly, all consequent downswing antics that are suggested by our peers are just a hindrance, as all and sundry outcomes are and should be in auto mode, rather than contrived manipulations . ok, you seem to be on my own playing field of communication potential as i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers. anyway ,i  think you appreciate that you can't necessarily teach with video or pictures or even more importantly, a "boys club" attitude . please keep in touch as it only takes one little iceberg to sink the Titanic.     
    • Wedge make-up
      I don't understand the 20 yard gap between the 45° PW and the 50° AW myself... Though I have been working really hard on thumping little wedges forward... I've honestly been working more on the finesse shots, If I'm ever going to be a consistent 5 handicap or so, that part needs work 60-120 yards. So, I picked up 54° and 58° at a nice price... Hopefully they help my 60-90 yard game a little bit... (I got them fit to me, the first damn fitting I've gotten that actually seems like its going to help)...  This is a little off-topic but not entirely... I was surprised to find out, in my Dynamic Fitting that I actually only need 1° upright. I'm a static "Green Dot" in PING irons... But with my swing I'm a yellow/blue... So its off to the fitter to get my irons bent 1° upright.
  • TST Blog Entries

• Images

• Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today
  • Blog Entries