IGNORED

Putter shaft length

redvet
Note: This thread is 6059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am about to reduce my putter shaft from 35" to 33.5" . Will this cause a problem with swing weight ? Can I add some extra weight to the head to compensate or add some weight to the butt end of the shortened shaft.

Cobra F Speed Driver
Cobra 3 wood
2 Hybrids 20 and 23 Deg.
Cleveleland Irons
Macgregor Fat lady swings putterSrixon balls

Yep, you'll need to add weight to the head to compensate. If you look at the Scotty Cameron's, take Newport 2 for example as to how much weight is needed. The 33" is 350g, the 34" 340g and the 35" 330g. So Scotty would add roughly 15 grams to a 35" Newport 2 shortened to 33.5". So guestimate the headweight of your putter and add rougly the same percentage weight. Alternatively find someone with a swingweight machine

Mizuno F-50 3W DS S300
Titleist 906F2 5W UST V2
Titleist 585.H 21 DG S300
Mizuno MP-FLIHI 4 DG S300
Mizuno MP-32 5-PW DG S300Mizuno MP-R 52.07 DG Wedge FlexMizuno MP-R 56.13 DG Wedge FlexTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 60.04 DG Wedge FlexScotty Cameron Studio Newport 2

That's a terrific help, thanks, I will try 15 g and see how it performs and take it from there.

Cobra F Speed Driver
Cobra 3 wood
2 Hybrids 20 and 23 Deg.
Cleveleland Irons

you can also add a small amount of weight in the shaft using a lead/ tungsten powder. It's going to be tough getting 15 grams into the head, that's a whole lot of lead tape.

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

This is definitely the best option, managed to pick up a 10 gram plug which I have slotted into the butt end of the shaft and the difference is significant and seems about right, I will be going with this for a while, might not add the remaining 5 grams. Thanks for your contribution.

Cobra F Speed Driver
Cobra 3 wood
2 Hybrids 20 and 23 Deg.
Cleveleland Irons

I asked this question of the Ping Customer Service department several years ago, when I was considering cutting down an Anser 2 from the original 36" to 34".

Ping replied that they do not make different weight putter heads for different length shafts. Therefore, while a 36" putter cut down to 34" will indeed have a different swingweight than one left at the original 36", the "cut down" 34" will have the same swingweight and feel as one that was built to 34" at the factory.

In my bag:

Driver Cleveland Classic 310 Tour 10.5°  Miyazaki Kusala 61 Black Reg
Fairway Wood Cleveland Launcher FL 3/15° Miyazaki C.Kua 43 Reg
Hybrids Cleveland Mashie 3/20.5° & 4/23° Miyazaki C.Kua 43 Reg

Irons Wilson Ci9 5-6-7-8-9-PW-GW FST ss105 Reg 

Wedges Vokey SM 56.14

Putter GEL Ruby 34"

Balls Callaway HX Bite, Wilson Staff FG Tour

Note: This thread is 6059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!