IGNORED

I won a set of Titleist 716 AP2s

inthecup
Note: This thread is 2953 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 hours ago, inthecup said:

They will be ordered so I can have them fit.  

Glad to hear it. Will the arrive in time for Christmas?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 months later...

I was in NY and I have had experience with Pete's golf, so I went for an Iron fitting and a putter fitting.  I have a launch monitor and I know if you look at the numbers too much it can mess you up.  So I resisted the urge to look at the club, the shaft or the monitor results.  I did look at the ball flight.

For irons he thought the shaft in my existing irons are too flexible for my swing, especially in the tip.  After some experimentation he swapped out the shaft in my seven iron to a Aero Tech Steel Fiber I95.  I took that home to try.  He (Woody) did not want to do a wholesale swap because I had gotten used to my current shafts and adjusted to them.  He did not want me to hate the shaft after committing to a whole set.  I was able to hit a bit indoors and I played 18 Saturday.  I hit that 7 iron more than I should have.  Letting it go deep or short to make sure I got to swing it a bunch.  Conclusion, that shaft is fine.  Better than fine I think.

His club head recommendation was Callaway Apex CF16.  After playing 18 Saturday I was able to hit the Apex head on a Project X stiff steel shaft on Sunday at an outdoor range that was well marked.  I also grabbed a PXG iron for the heck of it.

I liked the Apex head.  It did feel better then my Current Irons (Henry Griffits OS-1).  Also as expected I gained some distance.  The PGX iron was nothing special to me, it was more of a blade.  I had heard they were coming out with a game improvement version in the future.  I don't think I would every spend that kind of money on clubs but I figured what the heck.

So I am getting the final specs and will order the irons through my club Tuesday.  I think I am going to go 5-PW.  I am liking my hybrids.  I won 4-PW so hopefully that offsets the extra cost of the shafts a bit.

I can't decide on the grips. I have been playing Gripmaster Leather grips since 2012.  These grips to not wear they break in.  I do not need new grips on my clubs, not even close.  They are very sticky, not for everyone for sure.  I had a Pure P2 Wrap put on my 60 degree wedge to try it and if I was to go away from leather that is what I would get.  I don't think Callaway offers that though.  I don't play with a glove.

I got a putter fitting because I can hear my ball skid sometimes and my distance control was poor late last season.  The SAM put lab showed I was pretty consistent.  My flaw was I came inside too fast and pushed puts because of an open face.  An open face with the Scotty GoLo made the loft too much and it was launching the ball.  They could not bend the putter without messing up the alignment so he explained the flaw and after taking a few putts with a straighter take away the skip went away and I left with something to work on and suggestions for putters with less loft than the Scotty should I choose to go that way.  That is integrity, they could have easily sold me a putter.  Out on the course I had some success (early to tell) my miss was a right push and I hit most of my short puts.

We have great fitters here in Michigan.  If Pete's golf was here that is where I would go for sure.  If you LI guys don't go there you are really missing out.  They have literally thousands of shaft combinations and the skill to fit you right.

Figure a couple weeks and I will have some new sticks.

• iacas changed the title to I won a set of Titleist 716 AP2s
  • 2 weeks later...

I am pretty gassed up.  Got my irons yesterday.  Blew on some Pure P2 wraps.  There is a little technique to that but overall much easier than tape.  Especially the second time.  

I am am going out for a round today.  Hit a PW around the lawn, the club head seems small.  I'll bet I'll be hitting out on the toe until I get used to them.  

Note: This thread is 2953 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!