IGNORED

Playing With Irons

John of Art

Hi everybody!

I am new to the golf game. I have taken some lessons and got fitted for clubs a couple of months ago. I usually score between 110-120 for 18 holes.

I bought a Stealth driver last year and have been hitting consistently with it 210-230 yds on the simulator. But when I take it out on the course, every drive is a severe slice!

I played 18 holes yesterday at the club where I belong. I removed the driver from my bag and used the 5 iron to drive with. I hit straight 16 out of 18 drives, 180 - 200 yds. I used the 5i - putter for the rest of my game.

I ended the day with a 92.

Question: Does it make sense for me to continue playing with irons only until I get further along in my game before I reintroduce the Driver and woods again? Or should I continue to struggle with the Driver and woods and shoot in the 100’s again? To me it’s a no brainer, but for those more advanced I am interested to get feedback.

1 hour ago, John of Art said:

Hi everybody!

I am new to the golf game. I have taken some lessons and got fitted for clubs a couple of months ago. I usually score between 110-120 for 18 holes.

I bought a Stealth driver last year and have been hitting consistently with it 210-230 yds on the simulator. But when I take it out on the course, every drive is a severe slice!

I played 18 holes yesterday at the club where I belong. I removed the driver from my bag and used the 5 iron to drive with. I hit straight 16 out of 18 drives, 180 - 200 yds. I used the 5i - putter for the rest of my game.

Question: Does it make sense for me to continue playing with irons only until I get further along in my game before I reintroduce the Driver and woods again? Or should I continue to struggle with the Driver and woods and shoot in the 100’s again? To me it’s a no brainer, but for those more advanced I am interested to get feedback.

I would recommend spending some time at the range and film your swing. You can post it in the Member Swings thread. At the range, you can figure out how to control the driver a bit more. We can offer some pointers once you post in the Member Swings section.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Playing irons only may lead to some short-term gains, but you'll want to at least practice with the driver if you ultimately have some decently good goals.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 4/24/2024 at 8:19 PM, John of Art said:

Hi everybody!

With some practice and fixing your driver swing, your ceiling is a lot higher with longer clubs in your bag.  Imagine with 5 iron off the tee you are hitting a 7 iron into a hole, then after driver you might be hitting a PW.  You would be closer to the green to start, potentially can hit a better and closer shot to the hole and have more options available to you off the tee.  It is a no-brainer that you should definitely have the driver in your bag, though you should practice with it to ensure you are hitting it well

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball