IGNORED

Golf Pride MCC vs MCC Plus4

Note: This thread is 1785 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

30 minutes ago, awolmartinez said:

Anyone switch from one to the other and notice an immediate effect on your game, whether it be club rotation, trajectory, consistency, or otherwise?

No immediate effect, but they feel more comfortable to me and I seem to be able to grip the club with more ease. I really like them for shots where you grip down too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I started using the original MCC grips on my clubs around 6 years ago or so, a little bit after they were released since I liked how grippy they felt especially in the rain. I like corded grips, but they absolutely tear my ungloved hand to pieces usually since my hands are always dry and cracking anyways. I did, however, always use 3 wraps of tape under my grips because for me personally it would help prevent me from shutting the face down and hooking the ball. I've got slightly larger than average hands (8.5" wrist to middle finger compared to the average of 7.44") so the extra tape felt nice and seemed to help keep me from over-rotating my wrists through impact.

I've since switched to using the MCC Plus4 grips with just the usual one wrap of tape. The difference between the two grips isn't huge, it's just personal comfort and preference. The Plus4 feels nice to me, but realistically I could play golf just fine with either grip and the standard one wrap of tape so long as I just spent 5-10 minutes on the range making sure my fundamentals were solid and I wasn't getting too handsy.

• Thumbs Up 1

TST generously gave me the opportunity to test the MCC +4 grips several years ago.   My review is somewhere on here, but for the life of me I can’t find it.  If someone smarter than I am can do so and link to it here, it might be helpful.

I had been using the standard MCC grips for several years. While I don’t remember all the specifics on my impressions, I do remember that I absolutely preferred the standard MCC over the +4’s. I do remember that the +4’s were a little less grippy and tacky and that the cording wasn’t as aggressive as my original MCC’s.   In hot, humid Florida, that was a big deal to me.  I also have relatively small hands and just didn’t care for the larger diameter grips. I did find that I had a little bit of trouble rotating the club and had a tendency to either block, or cut some shots that I wasn’t intending.  In all fairness though, much of that is due to my being a little bit too handsy in the golf swing to begin with.

I didn’t dislike them to the point where I immediately switched out. I simply preferred the originals.  I played the +4’s for an entire year until it was time to replace my grips again anyways. I then went back to, and continue to use the original MCC’s…

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

One of my main worries is the last thing I need is less hand turn over, in other words I use MCC and have for years, and have to constantly work on squaring the head at impact, my slice is a product of me leaving the face open.  Would the plus 4 be bad for someone like me that struggles to square the face?  I wear a medium glove so I don't have big hands at all, I'm borderline Med cadet tbh

4 hours ago, David in FL said:

I also have relatively small hands and just didn’t care for the larger diameter grips. I did find that I had a little bit of trouble rotating the club and had a tendency to either block, or cut some shots that I wasn’t intending.  In all fairness though, much of that is due to my being a little bit too handsy in the golf swing to begin with.

I didn’t dislike them to the point where I immediately switched out.

Ok, ya this was sort of my fear.  I just ordered a set of irons that comes with the plus 4 so before I get them I should probably just plan on having them regripped.  You are a better man than me for just sticking it out, it would ruin my game mentally if the grips affect my swing that much.

• iacas changed the title to Golf Pride MCC vs MCC Plus4
Note: This thread is 1785 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!