IGNORED

Custom Fitting

mgolfer
Note: This thread is 5916 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi, I have clubs that are not custom fitted and I have a few questions about the process.

1. Is it possible to get your current clubs custom fitted or do they have to be ordered?

2. How much would it cost roughly (USD is fine as I can convert into pounds stirling).

3. What do they do to change your clubs after you have been custom fit?

Thanks,
mgolfer

Hi, I have clubs that are not custom fitted and I have a few questions about the process.

Mgolfer,

Assuming the length of the club is fine, a good clubfitter will be able to bend them to your specifications. He or she can also make them weaker or stronger. This usually costs between $5-$7 per club. If you want the shaft replaced, obviously you will be paying for the shaft plus the grip. I can't imagine the beginning price being less than $10-$15 per club. The cost will increase depending on your shaft. The changes to your clubs can be anything from changing just the shaft to changing shaft, lie, loft. The type of grip and the way it's placed will also affect type of play. It's important that you tell your fitter how you want to play and what type of performance you expect from each club. Again, assuming a complete overhaul for a set consisting of 3-PW, you're going to spend at least $200. This does not include the refurbishing of a club. Take a look at THEIRONFACTORY.COM. It's a good place to start. Hope this helps.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

unless you're really tall or short, standard size is probably fine. Ive had 2 different fitters tell me completely different things, and I've just become comfortable with my standard specs. If you do decide to get fitted, don't overlook the putter, since it's one of the most used clubs.

I think that if you are average size, custom fitting does not make a huge difference. A good rule of thumb is when you feel your game is good enough to purchase a new set of culbs, then get them fitted. It will be done for free at that time. However, if you are tall, it is essential to have the clubs the proper lengh and lie even when you are starting out. As I am writing this, I realize that the same probably goes if you are short; therefore, my ammended message is that if you are average height, you will be fine with clubs off the rack.

Driver: Taylor Made RBZ HL
3-Wood:Taylor Made RBZ 16*
Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ 19* and 22*
4i-PW: Titleist AP 1
Wedges: Vokey 54*, 60* Putter: Cameron Squareback 2 Ball: Pro V1x

For the most part yes.

One of the parts of club fitting is getting the right shaft. So that can be done with any club. The other big part of custom fitting is lie angles. With cavity backs it's extremely hard and dangerous to get the lie angles changed. With muscle back and forged clubs, you can just about bend the lie angles until you're content (I had some old Ram blades bent 6 degrees upright once). If you have cavity backs and need the lies changed, then you may want to opt to going to a longer shaft. However, that could mess with the weight.
2. How much would it cost roughly (USD is fine as I can convert into pounds stirling).

Getting the lie angles bent doesn't cost much. Probably no more than $5 a club. Shafts are a bit different. If you want top of the line frequency matched steel shafts, you're probably looking at $30+ a club. If you can get some True Temper that are quality, then you're looking at about $15 a club. Obviously, graphite is more expensive.

3. What do they do to change your clubs after you have been custom fit?

Usually the shaft. Perhaps shaft length. Perhaps lie angle. They'll change some of the loft angles if the loft is a little too high or low. That's pretty much about it. But it is worth it.

3JACK

Note: This thread is 5916 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!