IGNORED

Callaway GBB and Epic Taken to the Range… "Wonky"?

altos
Note: This thread is 1595 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I typically play a Callaway GBB, 9 degree driver, with an "old man Bassara" E42 Lite shaft because, well... I'm old.  Regardless, today I tried using that same shaft on an Epic Flash 9 degree head.  Same settings on the shaft.   Two heads, same shaft.  I hit several, ok, a lot of range balls.  The results were.... "wonky", odd, but reasonably consistent.  Ball flights were very similar EXCEPT.... with the Epic the ball got out there 80% of the way it then "knuckleballed" or appeared to.  It really looked like it was a serious major league Phil Niekro knuckleball.   The overall distance was about the same for either head.  But the Epic flew very strange as the ball flight peaked.  The range balls were clean.  The weather consistent.  If I went back to the GBB, no knuckleball at the end.  Back to the Epic, knuckleball.  Normally in baseball you would equate a knuckleball that "lack of spin", by definition.  I assume.... this may be occurring here as well.   The first 80% of the ball flights were not noticeably different.  But to see a ball fly out most of the way and then noticeable move side to side, drop, seemingly randomly shudder in its flight is.... weird.  What don't I get ?  

Edited by altos

• iacas changed the title to Callaway GBB and Epic Taken to the Range… "Wonky"?

Assuming you are striking the ball in the same place on both club heads, it means that the heads are different.  They have different sweet spots and hence different spin rates.  Most likely the Epic will benefit from hitting it lower/higher on the club face depending on its sweet spot and spin characteristics.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes, lack of spin.  The Epic Flash is lower spinning than the GBB.

i had a Ping G30 LST before and hit it short due to lack of spin.  I just don’t have a spin problem and the head was wrong for me

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1595 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!