Paul m

Compressing Ball Irons

4 posts / 521 viewsLast Reply

I see many threads on front foot weight distribution. 

I would like to see what others have to say in reaction to my own thoughts.

My feel on my front foot/leg is more of ‘pushing down‘ into the soil at address. Without doing so consciously, I notice the slightest bend of my knee as a result of this pushing into the ground. I then swing. Yes, the contact is very pure. The strike solid and I feel like I’m compressing the ball. I don’t in any way lean forward. 

Try doing this on your irons. Love to get real world feedback. 

Feel ain't real. What you think you might be doing, you might not actually be doing.

Glad it's working for you, though.

P.S. I don't even really know that I understand what you're trying to convey. Pushing into the ground would involve extending the knee, not bending it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Pushing off the ground extends, pushing down into turf at address bends the knee. Sure, after hitting I’m posting up on my front leg  

I hope this clarifies somewhat. And sure, a feeling is subjective at best. 

11 minutes ago, Paul m said:

Pushing off the ground extends, pushing down into turf at address bends the knee. Sure, after hitting I’m posting up on my front leg  

I hope this clarifies somewhat. And sure, a feeling is subjective at best. 

Bending the knees reduces pressure downward into the ground. The only way you can push OFF the ground is by pushing INTO the ground.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• TST Affiliates

SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
    • Hey cool thread.  To @iacas, @CarlSpackler , @Vinsk, and others who I'm sure I'm forgetting I'd like to say I appreciate that you all have disagreed with me and discussed it like an adult without being offended.  To @Double Mocha Man, @dennyjones and @boogielicious for being of a similar mind and sense of humor.  To @klineka, @Bonvivant and @CarlSpackler for agreeing to play a scramble with me which would have happened yesterday, but alas no... We will have to do it some time in the future... you too, @saevel25 Again, this is a cool thread. I look forward to adding more shout outs later. 
    • If it's a Winn, or Superstroke etc style grip with a hard tip and butt cap section (multiple materials) the slim jim style tool is difficult to use. Best bet is with air compressor or inject solvent into the grip in different spots and work it loose that way. 
    • I've spent several days pondering this.  I have not played enough courses to where any are truly "forgettable" as each one is an adventure.  A key to this is the second half of this question "..or one of the worst scores...".  Given that caveat, I truly would like to play a course like St Andrews, Pebble, or Augusta National one day.  In my motorcycling days the mantra was "its not the destination but the ride" therefore I would choose the latter as it would be the adventure of a lifetime, maybe a "bucket list" item.  Lowest score of my life, I would hate to think that I would "never" play that well again. I would like to have that dream still on the table, even when the day comes that I'm shooting from the most forward tees as an old, old golfer. 
    • Wow, I could fill a couple of pages easily. Forgive me for being influenced by recency but here goes: @billchao and @boogielicious for being solid all out citizens of TST. Both content and support is bar none. Thank you.  @DaveP043, @David in FL, @ncates00@Golfing Dad , @ChetlovesMer , @bkuehn1952 and @DeadMan  for their thoughtful and prolific content.  @klineka, @billchao, @saevel25 and of course @mvmac for their outstanding swing work and detailing of their body of swing work.  @Double Mocha Man, @FlyingAce, @Vinsk for freshness and light hearted perspective on things.  @colin007, @jsgolfer, @DaveP043, @billchao, @Hardspoon who I have met and played with and have become my great friends for life. And last but not least @iacas who has not only changed my golf life but continues to check on me and keep my spirits up while I remain incapacitated because of my injury.   And yes, I stop here thinking I can easily add another 25+ names.  Edit: I miss @RandallT greatly.
    • Welcome to TST fellow leftie! As @boogielicious agrees...we are so uniquely wonderful and add so much flare to the game! Post a video of your swing in the ‘members swing’ thread and you’ll get plenty of good advice. Cheers!
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...