IGNORED

Butt End Re-Grip Issue

Note: This thread is 1470 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all.  I've re-gripped my own clubs for about 15 years now and finally ran into a problem.  Was given a club that the butt end is a full 3/4 of an inch in diameter.  The old grip, factory one, is 1/2 an inch in diameter at the "mouth," which obviously they didn't have any problem at the factory slipping it on.  And I've never really had a problem sliding smaller "mouthed" grips onto wider shaft butts, but I don't have a grip here that'll even come close to sliding up over the butt end and I've never really encountered a shaft with a butt end that wide.  The shaft tapers for where a standard size grip will fit fine, just stuck getting started.  What grips have a wide mouth that'll work for this or other suggestions?  Thanks!

15 hours ago, Dhar2112 said:

Hello all.  I've re-gripped my own clubs for about 15 years now and finally ran into a problem.  Was given a club that the butt end is a full 3/4 of an inch in diameter.  The old grip, factory one, is 1/2 an inch in diameter at the "mouth," which obviously they didn't have any problem at the factory slipping it on.  And I've never really had a problem sliding smaller "mouthed" grips onto wider shaft butts, but I don't have a grip here that'll even come close to sliding up over the butt end and I've never really encountered a shaft with a butt end that wide.  The shaft tapers for where a standard size grip will fit fine, just stuck getting started.  What grips have a wide mouth that'll work for this or other suggestions?  Thanks!

Welcome to The Sand Trap. Most grips I have seen are .580 to .620” opening. Perhaps if you tried a .620 in a rubber compound, you could stretch it over the shaft butt. An air compressor may help too. You could contact Golf Pride or Pure Grips and ask them. Pure grips are pretty flexible too.

Order Golf Pride Tour Velvet golf grips direct from the Golf Pride online store.

PURE Grips combines everything you want in a grip: superior feel and comfort, exceptional durability, easy installation and colorful personalization.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Is this a Burner Bubble shaft from back 25 years ago. They had an enormous butt end and really could only use 1 of 2 specific Taylormade grips that had the matching inside diameter at the butt end. Any other grip would give you a crazy tapered result with a super thick butt.

We used to have a tool specific to installing these grips, not sure if its still available today. Scratch that. Just found it on Golfworks. The ultimate grip installer tool.

Like Boogielicious said, at this point you probably will only be able to find .620 grips that might work on some level. You might be able to locate some of the TM Bubble grips on Ebay, but not sure you can buy them individually. Stay away from multi material and corded grips as they give less. Also make sure the grips aren't cold.  

• iacas changed the title to Butt End Re-Grip Issue
Note: This thread is 1470 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!