IGNORED

Trip Report: Myrtle Beach 02/28-03/04

Note: This thread is 5900 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Pictures: http://community.webshots.com/user/bvg100

First Round - 02/28 1pm THE WITCH

My Tee time was 12:04, held up by a frost delay, and perhaps some slow play, and tee'd off at 1:00pm. We were the first group of the afternoon. This course is really great, located in a peaceful setting, amongst the trees, much away from any real estate, and roads seldom come near the course. The layout was interesting, and I did not find any of the holes "boring" Condidtioning was great, a few greens were just a bit bare, but the ball still runs true. There was just the right amount of bunkering, and water in play to make the course interesting, and pleasing to the eye. I shot a 91, not bad for the 1st round of the year. The bag staff seemed a little overworked, probably due to the frost delay madness, the starter was very friendly, and one of the turf care guys, helped forecaddy on one of the opening holes.

Fairways/Tees: 7/10 Great condition, fairways just a tad spotty, no compaints though.

Greens: 8/10 They were running at a good speed, not fast, but not slow either

Overall Condition: 8/10 Certainley would return to this course

Layout: 9/10 Great layout, and location

Service: 9/10 All staff were friendly, and helpful

Second Round: 02/29 8:30am MAN O'WAR

Tee'd off at 8:30am (1st group of the day) finished at 12:15pm. Man O' War is definatley a great layout. Every holes is very interesting, Much more water on the back, than the front - like most people say it doesn't come into play much, but it is certainley pleasing to the eye. I shot an 83 from the whites, going driver, /8/9 iron most of the time. Perhaps I could shoot from the blacks (I shoot to a 9 or 10 handicap, and don't normally play from back tees) It was a glorious day the weather was great. The service was fantastic.

Fairways/Tees: 8/10 Great conditioning, not a 10, but close enough

Greens: 8/10 Greens were in great shape, and rolled true, not that fast though.

Overall Condition: 8/10 Course was in good shape

Layout: 9/10 One of the best.

Service: 9/10 Bag staff were great, ranger was cordial, and outgoing

Third Round: 02/29 1pm THE WIZARD

Tee'd off at 1pm, finished at 5:30pm. The course was busy. The front 9 of this course was quite straight foward, and the back was certainley a more exciting layout. Played well here shot an 82. Great course to use your driver on. The mounding, and bunkering lend to the challenges of the course. The greens were in great shape, and I was happily challenged with a few longer holes.

Fairways/Tees: 8/10 Course was a bit wet

Greens: 8/10 Rolled faster than the previous 2 courses, but not really fast

Overall Condition: 8/10 Wonderful sand and fescue areas

Layout: 8/10 A couple "boring" holes on the front

Service: 7/10 Snack bar girls seemed quite angry about something (???)

Fourth Round: 03/01/08 12:00pm TRUE BLUE

I cannot express what a pleasure, and challenge this course presents. From the parking lot, to the final handshake this was a class place. I drove down a little early to some pics of the tell tail clubhouse, and 18th hole. The service is so friendly here, (quite typical of Myrtle Beach) and it goes on and on, from the bag drop, to pro shop, and the starter. And the layout is excellent I enjoyed each hole. The course presented a satisfying challenge, yet really giving you permission to hit it of the tee. The trouble on this course lies around the greens, and the tight approach shots. The conditioning displays without fault. As the rough was dormant, it really made for a pituresque day. Shot a 91 here, as the course was challenging, I played from the blue tees. My short game suffered on #18, as I just flew the green. I put my first 2 good shots together on #4 and was up and down for bird from behind the green. Ran into a nice little gator on #3. I would say one of the nicest holes, (which I didn't really hear about on the internet) was the par 3 #16th, much like an amphitheatre.

Fairways/Tees: 10/10 Pristine

Greens: 9/10 Fairly fast - not super fast, played fair. Seemed like they were punched a several days ago. Didn't effect the play.

Overall Condition: 10/10 An absolut gem.

Layout: 10/10 Every hole was exciting

Service: 10/10 Can't get any better

Fifth Round - 03/02 8:10am KING'S NORTH

This course never could let anyone down, played it twice now, and looking forward to the 3rd time. I did not play well at all. I think the wide open fairways at True Blue, and the shortness of MOW & Wizard lulled me asleep. The day was glorious, with not a cloud in the sky. The service at this course is second to none. The course was in good condition. With some more rain, and higher temps it should be in it's prime before long. The greens rolled faster than my previos courses. (Witch, MOW, Wizard, & TB) The fairways could have been cut closer, but perhaps they're letting them grow in for a bit, was nice overall. Bunkers, and waste areas presented as well cared for. Pace was a slow, but as a tourist I didn't notice, as some folks would. We played in 5 hours sharp.

Fairways/Tees: 7/10 Great condition, fairways were a tad long, no compaints though.

Greens: 9/10 Not as fast as I would expect from a top tier course, but fastest so far on the trip

Overall Condition: 8/10 Course was really green

Layout: 10/10 Great layout, can't beat an island green, island fairway, and those bunkers on 18. The course provides an excellent challenge in addition.

Sixth Round - 03/02 1:30 MBN: WEST

I found this track to be simple but elegant, perhaps one could say boring but enjoyable. Certainley a top runner for our next "first course of the trip" We played from the back tees which produced a challenge I always look for. Otherwise I would leave with the same feeling I left Wizard and MOW with, (the thought of it should have been better & and calling it a short course) We started on #10. Playing as a twosome we were let through on #13, then the course was jammed on #14 & #15 with what seemed to have some people who looked like they were on a Sunday sroll more than anything. With 3 foursome's on #15 while we were putting on #14, we were sure we weren't going to get it in before dark. The good news was that the marshall reminded us of the double tee, and 2 groups were heading in once done the back 9. We then scooted in front of the only fousome infront of us, at the turn while they visited the snack bar, we were set. We finished in 4 hours, at 5:30pm. The course displayed beautiful condidtions, and the rough was dormant, which I prefer from an astetics point of view.

Fairways/Tees: 8/10 Great condition. Fairways a little wet in areas.

Greens: 9/10 Same speed as the North course, fastest on trip so far

Overall Condition: 8/10 Course was well maintained

Layout: 7/10 The course was pretty straight forward

Seventh Round - 03/03 9:34am TIDEWATER

This course is one of the most scenic courses at the beach. The conditions were less then average, with muddy fairways, and spotty greens. Despite that I would certainly return to this course as it's a visual gem. Also the course is pleasantly challenging. I am sure the conditions will improve, and I caught them at a bad time of year.

It was the only course on the trip to have GPS.

My distance was off for the the front nine. So I stopped paying attention to the GPS, and mainly went with what I thought it looked like, and I started to do ok.

Fairways/Tees: 7/10 Course was wet, and greens were spotty.

Greens: 9/10 Same speed as MBN

Overall Condition: 7/10 Bunkers need some work, and there was maintenance on #1

Layout: 10/10 Must play despite conditions

8th and final Round: 03/04 9:00am The Dunes

As expected this place is all class. I quickly checked in, and headed for the range, and then got to the tee early. Not without soaking the beauty of this property. The course was in GREAT condition. There were a few yellow spots in the rough, but no matter at all. The greens are perfect. They had just been lightly top dressed, never the less, they ran smooth. I found this course to be a pleasant challenge with wide open shots from the tee, and stimulating approach shots. Not sure whether it was busy or not, as each group was well spaced. I finally started on hole #1! (fist time this trip, I can only assume The Dunes does not double tee) The layout was great, and for being the first course at the beach I certainley did not expect any "marketing tools" (gimmick holes) Such a classic course.

It was a really nice touch as the bag boys come clean your clubs while you putt out on 18. We saw the ranger quite often, and the commentary was great to have. The frequency of the cart girls was appripriate as well. Certainly a wonderful course.

FWIW, I hit 100% Fairways, and only one green (#9), it was quite the joke as I was standing over my 150 yard approach on 18.

We played in a great 3.5 hours

Fairways/Tees: 10/10 Can't see any improvment

Greens: 10/10 Best on the trip, a little top dress didn't hurt the game

Overall Condition: 9/10 A little yellow spotty in rough, doesn't really matter though

Layout: 9/10 A Classic, age speakes for itself, & some great holes for that matter as well

Service: 8/10 Bag staff and Cart girls very quiet, Ranger was friendly and made us feel welcome.

In My Bag:
Driver: TaylorMade Burner 9.5* Stock Stiff
5 Wood: TaylorMade V-Steel Aldila NV Stiff
7 Wood: TaylorMade V-Steel Stock Steel
4-PW: TaylorMade R7XD Stock Stiff Steel48* Wedge: Callaway Forged52* Wedge: Founders Club60* Wedge: Founders ClubPutter: Odyssey DFX 6600Balls: Titleist ProV1 & DT SoLo

Sounds great, i'm jealous.

Appreciate the post, I wish more people would do this. L

In the Bag:

- R7 460 - Driver
- R7 st - 3 Wood
- Baffler Dws - Hybrid - 4-Pw-CG-4 - Irons - 54 - CG-11/ 58+60 - CG 10 - Wedges - Rosa Mezza Monza - Putter NXT or Noodles

Awesome. I live in Myrtle for 5 years and worked at Man O'War and Caledonia (True Blue's sister course). The Witch is a great course, but I've always felt that Man O'War was underrated as there's not a bad hole on the course and it's always in great shape and it's pretty inexpensive. The Wizard is a bit underappreciated because it's the perfect course to start off your golf vacation as it's not very hard, it's wide open so you can bust the driver out and gain some confidence and it's usually in great shape.

Haven't played True Blue in years. I played there when it first opened and hated the design. It was a pretty polarizing course back then, but I believe they made a lot of adjustments to appease the golfers in the past 7 years. One of my best friends is the Head Pro there.

As always, I'm jealous.

3JACK

Outside of the time of the year you went,whoever laid out your trip did a nice job.The Witch is allways a good play and Tru Blu is a must.Sorry to hear you missed Heritage it is a class act also.You played the Dunes so you about covered the best in town.Next time keep 2 you like and pick 5 new ones thats how you wind up moving to Myrtle.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Nice report. Went to Myrtle last year about the same time. Did all 3 MBN courses, LOVED Kings North. Also played Willbrook and Rivercourse.

We're heading down the last week of March and have the following schedule this year:

3/25 River Hills
3/26 Carolina National
3/27 Sandpiper Bay 27 holes
3/28 Meadowlands Morning
3/28 Farmstead Afternoon

I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

The Witch is a great course, but I've always felt that Man O'War was underrated as there's not a bad hole on the course and it's always in great shape and it's pretty inexpensive. The Wizard is a bit underappreciated because it's the perfect course to start off your golf vacation as it's not very hard, it's wide open so you can bust the driver out and gain some confidence and it's usually in great shape.

I can't agree more with you in regards to Witch, MOW, and Wizard.

I have to repeat that MOW is underrated. A lot of people think the layout is boring. I beg to differ. True Blue was my fave of the trip. I think the forgiveness off the tee, coupled with large hazards around the greens made for a great course. True Blue, and King's North are my 2 top courses in MB.

In My Bag:
4-PW: TaylorMade R7XD Stock Stiff Steel48* Wedge: Callaway Forged52* Wedge: Founders Club60* Wedge: Founders ClubPutter: Odyssey DFX 6600Balls: Titleist ProV1 & DT SoLo

Outside of the time of the year you went,whoever laid out your trip did a nice job.The Witch is allways a good play and Tru Blu is a must.Sorry to hear you missed Heritage it is a class act also.You played the Dunes so you about covered the best in town.Next time keep 2 you like and pick 5 new ones thats how you wind up moving to Myrtle.

I planned the whole thing, Dunes, and Tidewater were decisions made on the fly while I was on the vacation. I had originally booked River Hills but they wouldn't book be as a single, so I took off to The Dunes, and I was going to play Blackmoor however they are in the middle of replacing their greens, so I switched it to Tidewater.

I am planning to play some of the Legends courses next trip. Not sure if I "missed" Heritage, just choose not to go there. I got lucky with the weather, at The Witch it was a little chilly by MB standards, but for this Canadian it was just fine. For most of my trip I didn't see any clouds (see pictures) and on most days, the majority of people were wearing shorts. I had to go at that time of year due to work, and vacation schedules. Average temp is usually in the high teens (Celsius) which is great for me. I would have to say the temps were above average.

In My Bag:

Nice report. Went to Myrtle last year about the same time. Did all 3 MBN courses, LOVED Kings North. Also played Willbrook and Rivercourse.

Nice line-up, you'll have a good trip.

Where are you staying?

In My Bag:

(edit) woops, thought this was about the guy who killed the bird

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

Nice line-up, you'll have a good trip.

Thanks. We get a package deal, last year we had 20 guys, I think this year it's 16.

$539.00 each golfer 5 nights lodging at Myrtlewood Villas 4 golfers in a 2 bedroom condo Breakfast daily Green Fees w/ cart on all courses.

In my bag todayâ¦.

Where did you book that? I am interested in new places to stay.

In My Bag:

The golf coach @ the local college puts together this package with a guy there in Myrtle. I'll see if I can get his contact info.

In my bag todayâ¦.

The golf coach @ the local college puts together this package with a guy there in Myrtle. I'll see if I can get his contact info.

Coach says he goes through

www.golfinthecarolinas.net

In my bag todayâ¦.

Cool, coincidently I just picked up his business card at one of the hotels I was visiting while I was in Myrtle.

In My Bag:

I can't agree more with you in regards to Witch, MOW, and Wizard.

I used to hear that a lot about MOW. I think golfers get too giddy over exotic course designs and MOW doesn't have that by today's standards (although it has 2 island greens). Still, not a bad hole on the course and when the wind is kicking up a bit....which it tends to do in Myrtle...it can really make the course play differently. On #3 I've had everything from 3 iron to a SW into that green.

True Blue was my fave of the trip. I think the forgiveness off the tee, coupled with large hazards around the greens made for a great course.

I used to play True Blue from the tips and it was annoying. You'd have to carry it about 230 over the marshes and then hit shots into crazy sloped greens that would leave you with a putt. Also, back then they didn't have cart paths and you would have to take the cart on on the sand hazards. That's okay, but if it rains it makes for a miserable round. I haven't played there in over 8 years, but I hear they've changed things around to make the course reasonable to play from the tips.

True Blue, and King's North are my 2 top courses in MB.

I'd like to play World Tour and the Barefoot courses. But my top 3 are the Dunes, Caledonia, and the Heritage.

3JACK

Really good point, TB, and KN are my two top courses.

But I have not played any Barefoot courses, or any Legends courses, or Caledonia either. Recently I have played obviously the ones in my OP, but also Belle Terre (now closed - thank goodness) Aberdeen, Pawley's Plantation, Waterway Hills, and Panther's Run. There are other courses I have played but that was about 15 years ago.

In My Bag:

Really good point, TB, and KN are my two top courses. But I have not played any Barefoot courses, or any Legends courses, or Caledonia either. Recently I have played obviously the ones in my OP, but also Belle Terre (now closed - thank goodness) Aberdeen, Pawley's Plantation, Waterway Hills, and Panther's Run. There are other courses I have played but that was about 15 years ago.

Legends is great. I used to practically live on their practice range. Especially during the hot summer where they have portable roofs so you can hit on grass, but in the shade. I'd avoid Pawley's. It's got some tour like holes, but there's some crap there. People go gah gah with the narrow tees in the marsh area, but I think it's hokey and there's one short par 3 that's just garbage. Used to play Belle Terre all the time for practice on the golf team. I'm probably the only person alive that gave it semi-favorable reviews, although a lot of the holes are too similar and the starting first three holes are extremely hard.

You'll like the Legends course. Solid rates and almost always in spectacular shape. But the place is usually a zoo since it's so busy. I'd definitely suggest Caledonia. Strantz's designs were very artistic over making a course built to play tournaments. True Blue is more of Strantz's exotic art design while Caledonia is more of Strantz's classical art design. I'd defiintely suggest Legends and Caledonia as well. And usually my friends have quality opinions on courses, so I'd try Tiger's Eye as well. 3JACK

The Mrs and I go Biker week 5/13 and have found over the years that Bikers do not play golf and the courses are wide open so we play 36 every day.This year it is

Dunes
Carolina National
Heritage
Longbay
Tidewater
Arrowhead
Love course
Then wepick our afternoon course of our Myrtle Beach Passport and we save alot of bread.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Note: This thread is 5900 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!