IGNORED

Need help with betting

Craig Mac
Note: This thread is 5912 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I play with a usual foursome and we also play poker in a league together, so the guys always want to bet. Problem is we have three different skill levels. I am roughly a 12 handicap, the other guys don't have handicaps but I would say that one is probably an 18 and the other two are more like 22 handicaps. The way it works now is we usually play skins, and I end up giving the 3 strokes per side(they came up with that). Problem to me is that they all stroke on the same three holes which are the hardest holes on each side. So for six holes they all stroke on me, which always seems to take me out of those holes. These guys all can make pars they just have a few blow up holes here and there that keep them from scoring better. I usually end up a little ahead every time, so some may ask, "what's the problem?". The problem is every week I hear how it's not fair and this and that. Any ideas for different formats? TIA.
My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

I play with a usual foursome and we also play poker in a league together, so the guys always want to bet. Problem is we have three different skill levels. I am roughly a 12 handicap, the other guys don't have handicaps but I would say that one is probably an 18 and the other two are more like 22 handicaps. The way it works now is we usually play skins, and I end up giving the 3 strokes per side(they came up with that). Problem to me is that they all stroke on the same three holes which are the hardest holes on each side. So for six holes they all stroke on me, which always seems to take me out of those holes. These guys all can make pars they just have a few blow up holes here and there that keep them from scoring better. I usually end up a little ahead every time, so some may ask, "what's the problem?". The problem is every week I hear how it's not fair and this and that. Any ideas for different formats? TIA.

Well, do they have recent scorecards? Calculating a handicap based on the formula is relatively straightforward, so they can get unofficial ones accordingly.

There's also some game, I think it's called "Chicago Stableford" (but I could be off on that name) that goes as follows: Calculate how many strokes you get on the course. Subtract that from 37. That's your starting score. For each hole, use the natural score: Double-bogey or worse: zero points. Bogey: subtract one Par: subtract 3 Birdie: subtract 5 Eagle: subtract 7 Whoever has the lowest score at the end wins. Benefits of this format: * Blowup holes don't take you out of the match * You don't get used to playing with strokes on a hole if you're a bad player. That is, you don't get used to thinking of that hard par-4 as a par-6. * Better players have an advantage of being able to "gain" points faster, but worse players have fewer to gain to win. It's kind of like spotting someone points in basketball. I think I read this in the Golf Digest Gambling Issue a few years ago. I can double-check when I get home.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

try playing in teams of two and simply rotating partners every 6 holes, that way everybody plays with everybody...play high low so there's two points available on each hole...give everybody their strokes where they fall...i agree with the last comment that it's important to establish at least a rudimentary handi for everyone in the foursome...good luck!

Ping Rapture 12* Aldila Stiff
Ping Hybrid 19* Aldila Stiff
Power Bilt "Scotch Blades" Steel Stiff 3-PW
Ping Eye-2 SW
Ping Anser Putter

Craig

Have you ever played the golf coin game? If not, take a look at this.

http://www.golfcoinsplus.com/howtoplay.php

I played this game with my brother and his friends. This takes away having to give strokes and complaining about handicap. It's pretty straightforward and can be very rewarding.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Thanks everyone for the ideas, I usually take the scorecard anyway so I could start keeping track of what they shoot every time. Probably should have been doing that anyway.

I actually got the coin game for christmas one year, I tried to explain it to the guys and it didn't seem like something they wanted to do.

I think they would like the idea of switching partners on different holes. The competition is fun for them, they love the bragging rights. It's kind of funny listening to them banter back and forth when one shoots 110 and beats the guy who shot 111.
My Bag

Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

I think they would like the idea of switching partners on different holes. The competition is fun for them, they love the bragging rights. It's kind of funny listening to them banter back and forth when one shoots 110 and beats the guy who shot 111.

You have friends who brag about beating the slope rating too?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You have friends who brag about beating the slope rating too?

Two of them shot 104 one day and just looked at each wanting so badly to be able to jar at each other. I usually don't get it in to the whole trash talkin' thing....well ocassionally I will say "open your wallets boys" right before we depart

My Bag

Until you get them a reasonable facsimile of a Handicap Index, The USGA puts out a nifty little pamphlet entitled Handicapping the UnHandicapped for 75 cents or a $1.00 which gives several methods which you can take into consideration. However, if they are having trouble beating the slope, they might have a 36.4 (max) handicap Index that you can use to determine a valid course handicap and assign strokes appropriately. Also note that when you give strokes, you give them based on the Handicap numbers indicated on the scorecard which takes into account easy vs hard holes on each 9.

Hope that helps.

N3XT

David C. Cleveland

In My Bag:

Driver: Big Bertha 4603 Wood: Big BerthaHybrid: Rescue Dual 3 19 degreeIrons: Big Bertha 2006Wedges: x forged mdPutter: 33 inch Natalie center shaftedBall: HX TourHome Course: Wellshire Golf Course, Denver, COVisit my musings at...

Note: This thread is 5912 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!