IGNORED

On course instruction or high tech instruction?

Daddy Golfer
Note: This thread is 5908 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have the privilege to take a golf instruction course. The problem is I've always wanted to take those 3-day on course instructions where the instructor watches you play a few holes and then instruct based on what he thinks I could use the most improvement. http://www.portludlowresort.com/golf/instruction.php
My budget only includes instruction that I can drive to so out-of-state is out-of-the-question. We recently got GolfTec in Seattle and I'm intrigued but not sold on it. http://www.golftec.com/
What's your thoughts on this? Would GolfTec benefit me more or the on-course instruction?

DR: Insight XTD Pro DF2400X 9.5 w/YSQ AD 65g S-flex
4W: Insight 16.5 Stiff
3,4 Hybrid: Idea Pro
5I - GW: Idea Pro -1 degree
SW: RST-DSG 56LW: RST-DSG 60Putter: Newport 2 DetourBall: TP Red

I have the privilege to take a golf instruction course. The problem is I've always wanted to take those 3-day on course instructions where the instructor watches you play a few holes and then instruct based on what he thinks I could use the most improvement.

Can't a pro at your home course take you out for a few holes (and instruct accordingly) instead of devoting 3 days to it? You could still devote 3 days and do the curriculum, but then if you need follow-ups, or there are more things that aren't as pressing, you can make them part of a long-term improvement plan?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For the first 3 years of my golf history I hired an instructor and it costed my around $1200 a year, which was cheap. I don't have a home course and not many have instructors on their courses. But your idea might give me something to research on, Washington National, Chambers Bay, and Newcastle have instruction, just not sure the cost. Of course, practicing at Chambers Bay might be worth it if it's included or at a discount. You can practice there all day for $21.

For the first 3 years of my golf history I hired an instructor and it costed my around $1200 a year, which was cheap.

You've taken three years of golf lessons and you still require more?

Did your golf instructor look like this? Because THAT I could understand..

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

In this case, I would pick "old fashioned".

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

You've taken three years of golf lessons and you still require more?

Is this what the instruction professionals look like in NW Arkansas? I can be there in around 3 hours.

In my Arkansas Razorbacks stand bag:

Driver:SasQuatch SUMO2 9.5°

2 hybrid 16° 3, 4 hybrid 3DX5-PW: Tour Pro ComboWedges: 52°, 56°, 60° spin milled Putter: Circa '62 No. 1 ; Newport Tel 3 LongNeck ; Newport 2 ButtonBack LTDBalls: ProV1

I my instructor looked like that, I'd have stayed on for more than 3 years.

I have the privilege to take a golf instruction course. The problem is I've always wanted to take those 3-day on course instructions where the instructor watches you play a few holes and then instruct based on what he thinks I could use the most improvement.

I've met PGA instructors and GolfTec instructors that couldn't teach their way out of a paper box. The main thing is to find an instructor you trust. GolfTec tries to sell you $1000 and $3000 packages where you are stuck taking lessons from some who may or may not be a good teacher.

If you find you mainly have problems making solid ball contact (lots of fat, thin, heel, toe, slice, or hook shots) then you should probably get full swing instruction. If you find that you make solid contact with the ball most of the time, and you have more of a problem knowing when to take more club, less club, when to hit high or low, or when to try a draw or fade then you may be best served taking an on course lesson. Next time you play a round make a note of how many greens, fairways, putts, and bunkers you have. The stats you have in the end should give you a starting basis for what you need to work on.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

I've met PGA instructors and GolfTec instructors that couldn't teach their way out of a paper box. The main thing is to find an instructor you trust. GolfTec tries to sell you $1000 and $3000 packages where you are stuck taking lessons from some who may or may not be a good teacher.

This is why you look for PGA Class A. LPGA has an equivalent, too, and I can't think of what it is offhand. Women pros can also join the PGA.

Remember, 'professional' just means they're being paid for it, just like with auto mechanics. The Class A designation and recommendations (or even observed lessons, something I don't think you can do at GolfTec) will help. Incidentally, I've had a voucher for a free GolfTec lesson for six months and haven't used it, with good reason.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here is something. Chambers Bay: 9 hole instruction with the PGA pro instructor for $175. Plus, they have shot clinics every Friday for $20. If I need more work it's just $80/hr.

I don't really want to rain on anyone's parade, but a while ago I got a free GolfTec "lesson" because I spent enough cash at Golfsmith to qualify for the promo. My "instructor" was a kid who played in high school and, according to him, "would be on the tour if it wasn't for my slice problem."

I'm not sure what that means, and it didn't create confidence.

The lesson continued and I have the following observations: GolfTec is a really, really expensive way to videotape your swing. It is also a really, really expensive way to draw neon lines on a static image, which you can do at home with MS Paint. The instructors apparently don't have to be very qualified, though I'm sure some are. I was completely unimpressed with GolfTec. Additionally, the lesson can't help but be compromised by the circus atmosphere in the huge golf shop.

Finally, a teacher is able to interpret your comments about your game and observe those tendencies - or imagined tendencies. The GolfTec guy pretty much has to take your word for it, and though it's hard to admit, sometimes we're wrong about our own game.

Lessons with an 'A' class instructor are an excellent way to improve, and are about cost equal. That's the way to go.
In the bag 8/12/09:
R9 w/ 63g S Fubuki | 909F2 13.5º | 909H 19º | MP-67 w/ Project X 5.5, 3-PW | Spin Milled 52â¢04, 56â¢08, 60â¢04 | BC1, 35" | Tour One | uPro

Hcp: 5.9
Trend: 5.2

I've come to that conclusion as well. I met one of the instructors at the golf show here in Seattle. She didn't seem to pay much attention to me, probably because I caught her at her lunch hour - she was eating a sandwich when I was talking. I asked her qualifications and basically she graduated at a golf collage where she spent 3 days to be certified as an instructor. That was all I needed to here.

I did meet the assistant pro at Chambers Bay and he was far more qualified and seemed very intent on my objective towards on-course instruction. I'll be spending my money there.

Note: This thread is 5908 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!