IGNORED

Who actually trains for golf?

Note: This thread is 6823 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Who actually works out specifically for golf? Anyone diet regularly? I was just trying to figure out a good diet/exercise program directed at the game of golf....obviously bulking up isnt need at all....I just wanted to see what you guys were doing.

i do a little bit dont solely train just for golf but do general workouts to keep healthy working in the gym its sort of the rule.

but whem im training i always try to relate certain aspects to the game like flexibilty and core stability exercises for balance and posture.

cardio is a high priority tho so normally build that into the warm up phase of the program.

i dont reccomend bulking upo so much in the program but if iwas just trainnig for golf i'd concentrate on areas such as triceps, forearms, latts, abs and shoulders

exercises such deadlift and lunges will be a good workout for all over power and strength

In My Bag:
Driver: TaylorMade r580 XD. STIFF SHAFT W/ FIRM TIP 10.5°
5-Wood: Titleist 975F, 21°, S300 Stiff SHAFT
Irons: Titleist 990, S300 3 - PW
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 56°CLEAVELAND TOUR ACTION 60°Putter: 33" ODYSSEY 2 BALL MALLETScotty cameron Newport 2 Pro platinumBall: Titleist...

I wouldn't disagree with Paul on his recommendation of muscle groups to concentrate on at all. Years back, when I was able to work out without doing more damage than good, I had more "game" on a bad day than I do now on a good one so I would encourage you strongly to pursue it.

My personal recommendation would be to concentrate very hard on full-range motions. Muscle mass, in itself, won't restrict your flexibility one bit. In fact, proper technique will increase your flexibility and range of motion regardless of how much you might find yourself "bulking" up.

Some of our not-so-young group may recall Johnny Miller years ago claiming that working on his ranch pushed him off the tour because he became too "muscle-bound". A good exercise regimen would have kept his muscles, tendons and ligaments stretched and limber, so don't be scared off by such claims.

Now, quit reading this and go "get it done."

Rick

On the Golf Channel the other day they had a show on balance, and how to train for it. It was very interesting.. One of the easist ways to check you balance is to stand on one foot as long as possible with your eyes closed. They said virtually all the pros can do this for over a minute easy. I never thought about it before but I play all year round here in Florida but my best seems to be at the end of summer and early fall. And there seems to be a connection to the balance issue, as I also surf during the warm months and my balance surfing is always it's best in the early fall before I put my board up.

Note: This thread is 6823 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!