IGNORED

My Swing (StuM)

StuM

I've been Playing Golf for: @ 15 years
My current handicap index is 24.8
My typical ball flight is: Formerly was always a slice but recently more of a "Push" right, but on occasion slice & hook do appear.
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Pushing ball right of target, worse with longer irons/hybrids.  Driver is not perfect but typically more reliable than my 3-6 Hybrids.  Right now I am focusing on the hybrids trying to be "on-target"

I should have a video to upload next week, weather permitting and for now I am just getting the page set up and ready.

I have so many problems picking a priority piece is tough  I am making better contact lately but off line is a problem.  More often than not I push right so as of now that is my focus, but I am open to change.  My instructor has given me a few things to work on which I will share.  These seem like a lot of things to work on but he knew I would not be seeing him for a while (next lesson this winter).  Some of these were things he had me "Fix" before but I fell back into some old bad habits.

1) At address I tend to "Squat" and have poor inclination.  He is having me push my hips back a little and work on maintaining inclination. (I hope I am using "Inclination" correctly.)

2) I tend to swing outward but then pull the club around to my left after impact, a little like a baseball bat swing.

3) At address I was lining up my ball in the center of my stance but then having significant shaft lean that was delofting the club. I used to think I was topping the ball but he said I was delofting the club to such an extent that it could not get up in the air. He had me move the ball forward, to @ my left ear, and working to minimize the shaft lean.  Note, this is primarily for the hybrids, the lower clubs are still more in the center of the stance.

4) I tend to bring the club back like getting ready to swing a baseball bat and he is having me do a drill where I put a board behind my club and he wants me to work on pushing it straight back for a short distance as I begin my backswing.

5) I was starting my downswing from A4 before beginning my hip rotation.  He is having me work to move my right knee towards my left before I begin the downswing.  

6) He has me doing a drill where I take a practice swing but stop the club at A8 with the goal of my belt buckle pointing to the target with the grip of the club aimed at the belt buckle, the club parallel to the ground with the head aimed towards the target.  I'll video this and post since I'm not sure I am describing it well.

Since I began the above I am hitting my hybrids better but consistency is an issue.  Distance is getting better with several 3-Hybrids going 200-230 yards recently, but GG says 193 is more typical.

I look forward to your input once I get the video up.

Videos: 

[Delete this, Embed Videos Here - https://thesandtrap.com/how-to/embed-videos/]

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Wow, my swing looks worse than I thought.  Look forward to your comments.

Stuart M.

FYI, range closed today so hit foam balls, I’ll try to get to range and hit real balls this weekend.

Stuart M.

It’s a little flippy at impact, but there a a lot of good parts. I would recommend doing the first five COVID drills, especially the day five drill. Your basically slowing down your rotation as you get to impact. You want to feel like you continue to rotate your hips and shoulders through to A9. The towel drill will help too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Thanks for the input @boogielicious.   I've seen, but not in detail, the COVID drills,  I'll take a closer look at them.  You also mentioned the "Towel Drill", is this what you are referring to? It was posted by @mvmac a few years back on TST.

03022673_towel.jpeg

Stuart M.

39 minutes ago, StuM said:

Thanks for the input @boogielicious.   I've seen, but not in detail, the COVID drills,  I'll take a closer look at them.  You also mentioned the "Towel Drill", is this what you are referring to? It was posted by @mvmac a few years back on TST.

03022673_towel.jpeg

Not that drill, this one. Low point control. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

I am working on the Day 3 COVID Drills and curious if I am getting it correct.  I also notice I am dipping as I do my turn, any suggestions?

FYI, raining outside today so tried indoors, no broken lights or dented walls so I guess it worked.

Stuart M.

• Administrator

Can you go higher and a bit less deep?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 hours ago, iacas said:

Can you go higher and a bit less deep?

I’ll try going higher but I am not sure what you mean by “ less deep”.

Stuart M.

1 hour ago, StuM said:

Depth is front to back. So higher and less deep is more over your right shoulder and less behind you.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
2 hours ago, StuM said:

Here:

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Depth is front to back. So higher and less deep is more over your right shoulder and less behind you.

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

Here:

Thanks to @boogielicious & @iacas.  This helps a lot.  I'll work on it.

Stuart M.

• 3 months later...

I've got a question.  Later today I will be taking a lesson with my teaching pro and he will send me a short video after the lesson showing portions of the lesson and his comments.  It is intended as a way to remind me what to work on.  

I realize it is his "Work Product" so will offer the courtesy of asking before I post it to My Swing but was curious if any of you can think of a reason I should not post them (Other than if he asks me not to).

Stuart M.

1 hour ago, StuM said:

I've got a question.  Later today I will be taking a lesson with my teaching pro and he will send me a short video after the lesson showing portions of the lesson and his comments.  It is intended as a way to remind me what to work on.  

I realize it is his "Work Product" so will offer the courtesy of asking before I post it to My Swing but was curious if any of you can think of a reason I should not post them (Other than if he asks me not to).

I can't think of any reason why you couldn't. Unless like you said if he asks you not to, then of course, respect his wishes. 
I would think he'd prefer you get his name out there, who knows he may get additional clients from the forum? 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator

Only if he doesn't ask you to.

I ask my students not to post the text under the pictures, because sometimes the words used have meaning for the student but could have a completely different meaning for someone who just sees it on a forum or somewhere.

I took my first lesson of 2021 yesterday and my teaching pro, Joe Portfilo, has no problem with me posting his video recaps of my lessons.  I do not have the most recent video yet but below is a lesson from Aug. 2020.  He gave me a lot to work on, and some he mentioned again yesterday.  

• Like 1

Stuart M.

On 10/21/2020 at 7:08 PM, StuM said:

Wow, my swing looks worse than I thought.  Look forward to your comments.

I have my swing on video from a lesson I took a few months ago and really disappointed in some swing issues, so much that I would be embarrassed to post it in here. I do hit the ball quite well, 12.7 hc, though.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080