IGNORED

Getting friends started in golf (men and women)

Shindig
Note: This thread is 5893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Since I started golf not too long ago, I will periodically have friends interested in trying golf. I take them to get a glove and then to the driving range (mats). I treat to range balls, then we find two adjacent spots and I give them my pitching wedge (the easiest to hit of my clubs, I believe, as it is the easiest of the SGI clubs in my bag). I tell them they can hit any club they want, but I suggest that one first. I also let them know that I'll do my best to answer any questions they have, but I don't try to do instruction (both due to my handicap and the relative frequency with which I see others repeat bad advice in this circumstance). I then hit my 8-iron against the mat a few times to demonstrate that they don't have to worry about hurting the club.

I then go about hitting a few shots, usually half-shots with the 8-iron, whether they watch or not. The goal, if they're watching, is to show that they don't need a huge swing that they might see from others to produce a decent shot.

If I'm asked about anything, especially after a bad shot, I'll start with grip (I show neutral), then stance, then ball position. If they're over swinging, I'll suggest making half shots (back to parallel, but parallel behind you, not "classic backswing end" parallel). I mention practice swings and hitting the mat in the practice swing before stepping up to the ball. I mention setting up to the ball rather than moving the club to be near the ball while keeping feet planted. This generally gets them to the point where they get a few balls airborne, and we all remember how great that experience was the first few times (I still like it). If they react to a bad shot, I tell them to relax, re-grip, take a few practice swings, think happy thoughts, set up and try again. I will sometimes tell stories of seeing professionals hitting poor shots (two stories of Jeff Sluman topping a ball are common, since those are the instances I think of to regain calm when I hit a bad shot)

This has generally worked, as my friends who I take aren't really hurt by using R-Flex (which I use). Maybe one or two of them would get fit for S-flex eventually. But using R-flex the first time out wasn't a problem for anyone.

Until yesterday. I had lunch with a friend and she and I were discussing hobbies. She asked when I was going to take her golfing, something she wanted to try. So, I do what I do whenever a friend wants to try golf: we go to the driving range. Most of you see the problem already.

She comments, after about two attempts to hit a ball, that the club is heavy. My first thought was "yeah, the pitching wedge is one of the heavier clubs." Then I realized... she's a small girl. The glove she got was a junior girls glove (although she was excited that it came in pink). R-Flex is probably too much for her. It was probably close to too much for me when I started. Thankfully, the shop (this was at Saddleback Community College, so it's just a small shop and large driving range) had free loaner clubs. There was a Ladies' Flex PW that was the right height for her. Much better, she determined, after getting a few shots airborne. By the end of the bucket, she was hitting them more or less towards the 50-yard marker.

This isn't a blog entry; I do have questions. But thank you for reading this far just the same.
  1. What do you do when your friends want to try golf?
  2. Do you have any feedback for me - positive or negative - on what I do when taking friends to try golf?
  3. What, if anything, do you do differently for different flex needs than you carry?
  4. What, if anything, do you do if they are a member of the other sex? Please assume just friends for this question.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would let them know that it doesnt matter how good you play--its how you act and enjoy the game..I would let them know that you can only improve in golf and it is more important the way you help others out with their game

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

Shin,

There is nothing wrong with your approach. I have taken my son and cousin to the driving range. I did the following:

For my son, I bought him a starter set, his own set of tees, a glove, cap and plastic practice balls. I set up a mat for him in our yard. I let him hit as few or as many balls as he wants. I also take him to the driving range. I get more joy from watching him than golf can ever give to me. Something about a five year old grinning from ear to ear and shouting "Did you see that?"

For my cousin, I did what you did. I let him use a spare set of clubs, gave him a glove and paid for a bucket of balls. I showed him how to align himself, how to swing the club and told him, "Just think about swing the club through the ball. The more comfortable you become the easier you will swing. You'll then see an increase in distance." We go together about twice a month.

My wife has no interest in playing, yet. However, don't treat a woman any differently than you treat a man. Show them the same respect and teach them the same way. She'll thank you for this.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Note: This thread is 5893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!