IGNORED

Lengthening my wedges

noodles
Note: This thread is 6782 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Since I bought my I3 irons, which are an inch long (I grip down about a half inch) I don't feel comfortable hitting wedges any longer than a pitch. I thin them like heck, and it hurts my hands while also killing my distance control with them. I practice my wedges a lot, but now it's uncomfortable and frustrating to do so. I'm going to switch to using a 48* Pitching 54* Sand and 60* Lob wedge compliment, all Callaway Forged. I know a friend of mine had plugs put in his irons to lengthen them, would this be wise to do to my wedges so I can feel more comfortable with them? How much would it cost, roughly? Thanks.

Bag:
Driver- ??? Shopping
3 Wood- Callaway Steelhead III
Hybrid- TaylorMade Rescue Mid 3 iron
Irons- PING I3 O-size 4-PW Rifle 5.5Wedges- 54* soon to be either Taylormade y cutter or Vokey SM60* Vokey Spin Milled 8* bouncePutter- YES! Golf C-groove TracyBall- Titleist NXT Tour

Did you buy these long intentionally?
How does the length on your new irons compare to your last ones?
If you haven't already I recommend you have your new irons fit for you.

Personally, I carry 4 wedges and they are all the same length as each other. My whole set is 1/2" longer because that's what I've been fit for.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah, I've been fitted once by my teacher and once by the clubfitter when I bought them. Both times, I needed a half inch and 2 degrees upright. Are your wedges lengthened as well?

Bag:
Driver- ??? Shopping
Irons- PING I3 O-size 4-PW Rifle 5.5Wedges- 54* soon to be either Taylormade y cutter or Vokey SM60* Vokey Spin Milled 8* bouncePutter- YES! Golf C-groove TracyBall- Titleist NXT Tour

Yup - "I carry 4 wedges and they are all the same length as each other"

If you've been sized for them and you're gripping down an inch that could be a main factor in topping. It could just take you time to get used to your equipment again, too.

My irons are great right now, the problem is full wedges, because I don't feel comfortable with them being shorter than the rest of my irons. Were your wedges lengthened with plugs? And if so, how much did it cost? Thanks.

Bag:
Driver- ??? Shopping

Mine were lengthened when I replaced the shafts in them. I have had plugs put in old wedges for about $15 each which included the new grip.
I'd recommend getting your wedges the same length or just a tad shorter than your pitching wedge.

Note: This thread is 6782 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!