IGNORED

Black is open for season

flap
Note: This thread is 5849 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

hi I can comment on this because I have played at bethpage a bunch. It can be most def. be a long day - ESPECIALLY on the black course because people who arent really qualified to play that courses go and play it all the time - the length is unforgiving - the rough diabolical and the fairways and greens littered with traps - it's a hard courses for sure - but you can not take cart - you may only walk the course (which is great) but it means, people are searching for their balls all day long and it all adds up too a very long round for sure.
as for the other courses- they are all very challenging and in great shape. I have played golf all over the country and seldom see courses as hard as the red courses at bethpage- on which the first hole is a 480 yard par 4 UP HILL the whole way!

** as for reservations - if you have a New York state ID or drivers lic. then when you go there- you can get in the computer system. then you just call the reservations line which is automated and and make a tee time. - you then show up check in - putt around for 30 minutes and go play- its really not that bad- stay away from BP on holiday weekends though..those are rough!!!

In my bag:
Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana Kaali'Stiff
Titleist 910F w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff
Titleist 910F Hybrid 19 degree w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff

Titleist AP1 Irons - TT S300
Titleist Vokey SM 50, 54 & 58 - Titleist Scott Cameron Newport

Yeah Bethpage is the home of 6 hour rounds on weekends but since I work nights and live 8 min away I can usually get out when ever I want to.One poster said 4 courses let me correct you there are 5 18 hole courses.The RED is a must if you can not get the Black and the Blue will kick anyones ass on the front 9 { the back is a little easier}The Green is an original Lennox Hill country club and very hilly.The Yellow has had a load of work done to it and is in GREAT SHAPE! not overly hard but like I said in really fine shape.All in All it is probably the best muny complex in the country.If you want the Black PLAY DURING THE WEEK BEFORE SCHOOL GETS OUT!!!!

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Played last Thursday. I thought the greens were in fantastic shape for April golf in the northeast.

That place always amazes me though. We teed off at 2:15 on a chilly Thursday, got paired up with a couple good people so the round was fun, but we still didn't finish in daylight. Played 17 and 18 in the dark, walked off the course around 8 pm. 5 hour, 45 minute round, on a weekday afternoon? Good thing that is such an amazing course, because there is no way I would play that pace of round for an average or even above average course.

I actually played pretty well for that course. 86 from the back tees made me smile plenty. The short rough definitely helped, and the greens were pretty straight forward (weren't that fast). You really have to get into your head that some of those par 4's are 3 shot holes and play them as easy par 5's. Manage to keep the doubles off the card with that approach, and snuck in a few pars on holes like 6 (shorter par 4), 7 (par 5 for us) and 14 (shorter par 3).

I am not a long hitter, but I can get the driver 250+. I couldn't even reach the fairway on 5, landed in the bunker. And I thought I hit a great shot on 6, just over the traps on the left, and I couldn't get it over them either (would have cleared both bunkers easily from the white tees). Fortunately on 6 I hit a great 5I about 185 yds (downhill) to land on the green and give myself a 2 putt for par (still needed to drain a 6 footer to save par though).

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Yeah Bethpage is the home of 6 hour rounds on weekends but since I work nights and live 8 min away I can usually get out when ever I want to.

What is your advice for walking on in afternoons during the week?

If I take the hour train ride from Penn Station, will I get on as a single more often than not? What time do you recommend going? I don't mind the BS there to get on the black course, but I am really not too high on the blue or the red, so I would hate to take the train out there, wait around, and have to play one of those other courses. Thanks in advance for the tips.

What's in the bag
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

I don't mind the BS there to get on the black course, but I am really not too high on the blue or the red

Have you played the Red? It's a fantastic course. I think it's the only other full 18 there by Tillinghast. Being next to the Black it is overlooked and underappreciated. You might want to give it a shot.

I have played on the Red more than once. The layout is nice, but I'm not really a huge fan of the course in general. Rocks in the bunkers, slow pace of play, lots of beginners with no etiquette (I'm not a golf snob, but there is a point where that is annoying), course conditions are average.

Last time I played the Blue, there was a guy out there with his 2 young kids, giving them a lesson on pretty much every shot. They had an entire hole ahead of them. I was a kid learning to play once too, and am all for youth golfers learning the game, but this was ridiculous. And there was no way that the guy giving his kids the lesson was breaking 100 on that day either. Made a 6 hour round that much more frustrating.

I will gladly put up with that BS for the Black, but the Blue and the Red are not worth it in my opinion. I don't live next to Bethpage, it is a commitment for me to get there. I would gladly play the Red in a casual 3.5-4 hr round minus the zoo-like atmosphere, but I have not found that to be the case.

I prefer Eisenhower Red over Bethpage Red or Blue. The condition of the course is much better at Eisenhower (The Bethpage courses would need TONS of work to hold a Champions Tour event).

What's in the bag

If you have a NY state drivers license or are a resident just go to motor vehicle and get a ID card and use the phone system and have a tee time so taking the train is no problem.I call all thetime for the red as a single but you can only book once a month on the Black.If you go there early before june during the week as a single you can usually get out pretty quick.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

curious - I live in New York City - is there a way to take the train or public transit to Beth page???

In my bag:
Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana Kaali'Stiff
Titleist 910F w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff
Titleist 910F Hybrid 19 degree w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff

Titleist AP1 Irons - TT S300
Titleist Vokey SM 50, 54 & 58 - Titleist Scott Cameron Newport

curious - I live in New York City - is there a way to take the train or public transit to Beth page???

Long Island RR and a bus. This was the method of transportation used during the US Open.

Call the course. I'm sure they can tell you which bus.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

I finally played the Black a couple of days ago. I live 10 minutes from Bethpage. After 4:00, there's the twilight price which is $27 on the weekends and $17? on the weekdays. You could get in at least nine.

I finally played the Black a couple of days ago. I live 10 minutes from Bethpage. After 4:00, there's the twilight price which is $27 on the weekends and $17? on the weekdays. You could get in at least nine.

What did you shoot?

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Take the LIRR Ronkonkama line to the Farmingdale stop. The Bethpage stop immediately before it is actually a little farther from the course. You'll usually see other golfers looking for a cab on the weekends. Catch a cab from there.

The fare should be around $7 last year, might be more now. Lots of New Yorkers do this trip. For the return trip, the cab companies know the LIRR schedule well, so call well ahead of the schedule stop (I would call 45 minutes ahead.) During the summer, bring a sweater. It's cold in them thar cars.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So if I take a trip there, do I need to camp out overnight? How early do I need to show up on a tuesday thru friday to get in 18 that day?

If you are a single walk up, you don't have to camp out overnight. I showed up just after 1 pm two weeks ago and got out around 2:30.

If you are a single and show up before 10 am, I would think you would get out before 1 with no problem, maybe even before noon. They have a range, and their putting green is nice, so you could just practice for a while. I think the sleep over night thing is for people looking to get out with their 4-somes.

What's in the bag

As I stated before if you want to play even as a single PLAY BEFORE SCHOOL LETS OUT.Once June rolls around between the teachers and students it is impossible to get out onthe Black even as a single.If you get there now around 7am weekday as a single you will be out by 830 or 9 the latest and done in 4.5 hours,afternoon it is 5hr maybe more.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4

Note: This thread is 5849 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!