IGNORED

PGA Tour/LPGA Tour Averages (FlightScope and Trackman)

iacas

• Administrator

2024 (source):

PGA_Tour_average 2024_yards.jpg

LPGA_Tour_average 2024_yards.jpg

2022 Data:

large.pga_tour_lpga_tour_launch_data.jpg

Here's some extra info from FlightScope:

large.average_player_launch_data.jpglarge.smash_factor_guidelines.jpg

pga_tour_lpga_tour_launch_data.jpg

This is the old topic:

Edited by iacas
Added 2024 Data
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to PGA Tour and LPGA Tour Averages (FlightScope)
  • Administrator
11 hours ago, GameImproveGolf said:

Thank you for this data update Erik!  Tony

Sure, it's FlightScope's data as you can see. I'm grateful to them for the update.

Support them and get a great device by looking at getting yourself a Mevo+.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I like the optimal ball flight chart. I will use it to compare my MEVO Plus data.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
4 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I like the optimal ball flight chart. I will use it to compare my MEVO Plus data.

Yes. Precisely. Even if it's the second chart on the page… 😉

• 2 years later...

It blows my mind that the launch angle with 5 wood is the lowest. Quite amazing. 

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

It blows my mind that the launch angle with 5 wood is the lowest. Quite amazing. 

Yeah, also kinda nuts that their entire bag fits in less than 16° launch.

Peak height under 100ft with driver always surprises me as well.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :titleist: ProV1x Left Dash

• Administrator
44 minutes ago, klineka said:

Peak height under 100ft with driver always surprises me as well.

Yeah, but you typically see the good players and the Rory/Jason Day/etc. types who hit it 130 or something. 😄 

I think those yardages are going to be destroyed in a few years (unless ball rollback happens). Boys from 15 to 20 are bombers now. I followed the leaders of an am tournament last year. All of them were hitting 7 iron from 180 and AVERAGING 290, 290 and 310 Driver distance on a no roll day at sea level. 

19 hours ago, iacas said:

Yeah, also kinda nuts that their entire bag fits in less than 16° launch.

Right? That 25* launch with a PW - let's say it's 45* loft (probably more for a fair few of them) and they're averaging -5* attack angle. To get a 25* launch with -5* attack angle, you need a dynamic loft of about 30-32* I think - so 13-15* of shaft lean. I guess that's not crazy. I don't know what an average shaft lean with a wedge would be for a PGA Tour player.

I read somewhere that average shaft lean for pros were around 10 degrees, of course more with wedges than with woods.  

23 hours ago, Ty_Webb said:

I think - so 13-15* of shaft lean. I guess that's not crazy. I don't know what an average shaft lean with a wedge would be for a PGA Tour player.

Sounds about right. 

For a 3 wood (15° loft) , if the launch is 10° and the AoA is -2°, the dynamic loft should be around 12°/13°, giving us just 3°/2° of deloft

• Administrator
1 hour ago, p1n9183 said:

I read somewhere that average shaft lean for pros were around 10 degrees, of course more with wedges than with woods.  

Sounds about right. 

For a 3 wood (15° loft) , if the launch is 10° and the AoA is -2°, the dynamic loft should be around 12°/13°, giving us just 3°/2° of deloft

Y'all are gonna have a hard time doing all of this math… because the % contribution from the path and the face angle changes at different swing speeds and spin lofts, the shaft is not a straight line (and the clubhead is typically in lead deflection at impact)… etc.

Lotta stuff going on.

Also, 6° is one minute on a clock.

I vaguely recall that shaft lean is about 11° but can’t seem to remember where I learned that.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 4/4/2024 at 12:39 PM, p1n9183 said:

I think those yardages are going to be destroyed in a few years (unless ball rollback happens). Boys from 15 to 20 are bombers now. I followed the leaders of an am tournament last year. All of them were hitting 7 iron from 180 and AVERAGING 290, 290 and 310 Driver distance on a no roll day at sea level. 

I was actually watching a high school kid that works for my club fitter hitting 320-330 total on the Trackman consistently.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

On 4/5/2024 at 3:18 PM, iacas said:

Y'all are gonna have a hard time doing all of this math… because the % contribution from the path and the face angle changes at different swing speeds and spin lofts, the shaft is not a straight line (and the clubhead is typically in lead deflection at impact)… etc.

Lotta stuff going on.

Also, 6° is one minute on a clock.

No doubt - that's why I gave a range. I think it's about 87/13 with driver face angle. I saw something today saying putter is about 93/7. Not sure that's quite right, but it was from someone who ought to know. The more glancing the blow though I think the higher the impact of the path vs face angle. So much else in it though - contact quality, spin, ball quality, all sorts. Not trivial at all.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Ty_Webb said:

No doubt - that's why I gave a range. I think it's about 87/13 with driver face angle. I saw something today saying putter is about 93/7. Not sure that's quite right, but it was from someone who ought to know. The more glancing the blow though I think the higher the impact of the path vs face angle. So much else in it though - contact quality, spin, ball quality, all sorts. Not trivial at all.

It can be 95/5 with a putter, and can get to almost 60/40 with some low spinning wedges, but typically is 70% or so with the PW or something. Can be 90/10 with the driver, even.

• iacas changed the title to PGA Tour/LPGA Tour Averages (FlightScope and Trackman)
  • iacas changed the title to PGA Tour/lpga Tour Averages (Flightscope and Trackman)
  • Administrator

Added 2024 data from Trackman. It's in the first post.