IGNORED

2022 U.S. Women's Amateur

Sandy Lie

Ok, having watched this event the past few days the final match is a runaway.  Getting to the Finals is a big deal, I think we can agree on that. What bothers me is that Monet Chun is out there by herself.  Looks like mom is there pushing the cart and offers little help.  Baba has a local caddy with course knowledge which is good move!

What I don’t understand is why Big Blue Michigan golf did not have her college coach on the bag? Ok, maybe she wanted a mom/daughter experience or perhaps Chun declined an offer. I’ll never know.

But as appearances go, Chun is out there by herself. She’s good, but perhaps having a coach or a local caddy like Baba has versus a parent on the bag would have been a better move.

But give Baba credit, she has played well and will eventually put this away soon. 

Edited by Sandy Lie

• iacas changed the title to 2022 U.S. Women's Amateur
  • Administrator
10 hours ago, Sandy Lie said:

Ok, having watched this event the past few days the final match is a runaway.  Getting to the Finals is a big deal, I think we can agree on that. What bothers me is that Monet Chun is out there by herself.  Looks like mom is there pushing the cart and offers little help.  Baba has a local caddy with course knowledge which is good move!

What I don’t understand is why Big Blue Michigan golf did not have her college coach on the bag? Ok, maybe she wanted a mom/daughter experience or perhaps Chun declined an offer. I’ll never know.

But as appearances go, Chun is out there by herself. She’s good, but perhaps having a coach or a local caddy like Baba has versus a parent on the bag would have been a better move.

Chun got to the finals, where she was outplayed, period. I don't think her choice of caddie hurt her - if anything, a stronger case could be made that having her mom on the bag helped her, as she outperformed expectations and reached the finals.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, iacas said:

Chun got to the finals, where she was outplayed, period. I don't think her choice of caddie hurt her - if anything, a stronger case could be made that having her mom on the bag helped her, as she outperformed expectations and reached the finals.

Yes she was. Good point but in watching Baba’s caddy who was one of 13 local caddies out there I feel that Chun short changed herself with mom on the bag.  Having a caddy local or otherwise like her College Coach may have helped her. Probably still would have lost but perhaps the match would have been closer. Who knows.

Mens Amateur is up next.