IGNORED

Getting my handicap down

JaY_B
Note: This thread is 5841 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

By July this year I need to get my handicap down to 4 too get in too golf college, do you guys have any advice I could work from to aid this.

In terms of my weaknesses anyone who has seen my swing will know I swing it pretty solid, my putting is standard and my short game is mediocre.

So any mental or short game related tips would be greatly appreciated.

I will also use this as my progress thread, too keep everyone updated on how my handicap is changing.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Last year I was struggling through mental glitches big time and putting. What I did was go on Amazon.com and spend less then 10 dollars and buy the book, "Golf is not a Game of Perfect" by Dr. Bob Rotella. It will talk about the mental side of the game, what to think about when hitting bad shots, how to feel getting on the first tee, a sound putting routine, and talks about if you want to get better at this game, become great with the wedges and the putter and your scores will drop considerably. I recommend you do that.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

You are already a lower handicap than I am, but I have found that working on wedges, specifically firing at targets from the 30-100 yd range, is the best practice for me. Right now, your average shot from 50 yds might be 10 ft from the hole. Keep practicing firing at 50 yd targets and improve that to 5 ft. Really get a good grasp of your distances from 30 yds, 40 yds, 50 yds, etc with your 52/56/60 degree wedges (or whatever you carry).

Regarding the advice for the Rotella book, I read his putting book and absolutely loved it.

Jay B, what type of golf school are you looking to attend?

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Two books to get hold of:
'The golfer and the Millionaire", which is about the mental attitude.
"The Legend of Bagger Vance" (watching the film won't do the trick!)

Otherwise: practice. Wherever on the course you are faced with the shot you fear most, go and take a bucket of balls and hit the shot until you've got it in the can. Then go to the place where you are faced with the shot you fear most, take a bucket of balls and hit it till you've got it in the can. Then go to the place...

You get the picture. Eventually, nothing frightens you.

When playing in designated rounds, play each shot as it faces you and play it the best you can. Think of nothing else but playing the best shot you can from whatever position you find yourself in. That could be a fab chip out sideways from an impossible lie. But only play one shot at a time.

Divest yourself of thoughts like 'I have to get a net 69 to get my handicap down to 5.2' or whatever. Play the best you can on every shot.

And remember: it's there to be enjoyed. Just because you want to make a career out of golf doesn't mean you aren't allowed to enjoy it. Work can be fun: make it so.

I would suggest

"The Short Game Bible" by Dave Pelz. It will work wonders with all those things that go on inside 100 yards. Oh yeah, and practice!

Golfunit

In the Bag:

Driver: FT-5 10° Speeder 652 Stiff4-Wood: Taylor Made V-Steel Regular 14.5ºHybrids: Taylor Made Mid 19º and 22ºIrons 4-W MP-60 DG S300Wedges: MP-T 51°06 and 56°10Putter: Red-X

I would suggest

I was going to say the same. However, he's looking for results by July. Short Game Bible is not a quick read, and like any new technique it can cause you to take a temporary step back at first before moving forward. If his post was trying to lower the handicap by August, it might be better help. But 45 days is not that long a time.

It is a great book though.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

By July this year I need to get my handicap down to 4 too get in too golf college, do you guys have any advice I could work from to aid this.

Mad props to you, I'd love to have the handicap you have. Good luck getting it down to a 4!

In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Note: This thread is 5841 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!