IGNORED

Speeding Up Slow Play - Players

tbjohnston
Note: This thread is 5756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There's a difference between being in a slow group and being behind slow people. Being part of a slow group is stressful for me and affects my game when I'm playing with people who don't realize or don't care and don't adjust their pace of play.

On the other hand when play is slow and there's nothing you can do about it, unless you're going to be late for your wedding, why stress out? You're golfing!

There's a difference between being in a slow group and being behind slow people. Being part of a slow group is stressful for me and affects my game when I'm playing with people who don't realize or don't care and don't adjust their pace of play.

AMEN! Could not have said it better!

The biggest things I see are:

1) Not being ready to play when it's your turn. Play 'ready golf' all the time!

2) 'Practicing' on the course. Do your practice BEFORE the round or on the range. A round of golf is for PLAYING, not practicing!

3) Not paying attention to where your ball has flown and landed resulting in a lot of time looking for a ball. Hey, we don't ALWAYS hit it down the middle. Watch your ball and make mental note of a landmark near where your ball came down. This increased the likelihood you'll find your ball and reduce the amount of time spent looking for it!

4) Your 'shot routine' should not include several deliberate shot swings prior to each shot. Again, practice BEFORE the round, not during the round.

5) You and your partner or cartmate don't always have to play 'cart golf.' If he's in the left rough and you're up near the green, grab your sand wedge and putter and tell him/her you'll meet them up at the green. Get out of the cart and WALK to your ball so you're ready to play when it's your turn.

Lastly, my wife is in her 2nd full season of playing golf. She shoots 120 and NEVER holds anybody up on a course. If she's struggling, she picks up her ball. She might chip on and putt out, but sometimes concedes the hole and starts over on the next tee.

It's my opinion that people who are most guilty of slow play never played with anybody who stressed to them the importance of expedient play. They are basically 'clueless' and usually are of the mindset of 'hey, I paid to play, too!'

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My personal pet peeve is people who need to play from the tips when they have no business playing from there. If your not a single digit handicap there is no reason. I played behind a group who played from the tips the other day, Every par 3, they came up short. Every whole they were looking for their ball at least 200 yards off the green. If you cant make par from the regular tees dont play from the tips!

bag

burner 10.5* driver

mp-57s irons white hot 2 ball putter

i see so many people going back for their carts, drives me nuts. also, taking too much time looking for balls. people who are relatively new golfers, if you can't see your ball after hitting it into the trees,3 foot grass,etc, you probably can't hit it even if you do manage to eventually find, so just drop a new ball.

also, i see a lot of golfers,again relatively new to the game, playing honour rules, arrggg, why?

and mark your scores at the next tee, not on the greens!

My Blog

Note: This thread is 5756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!